They cheat, though :) - but you probably do have to cheat to get it *that* realtime. Btw, do they have SSE/2 optimizations? - it's been some year(s) since I looked at it last, I think.
Posted on 2004-01-06 00:38:14 by f0dder
From what I read in the documentation, xaos would be using the FPU.

If you are interested in one using SSE2 (also open source), search for FFFF312. From their documentation (dated 23/12/02):
FFFF - Fast Floating Fractal Fun v3.1.2
Author: Daniele Paccaloni (daniele.paccaloni@dylogic.com)
Project page: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/ffff

v3.1.2

- Optimized SSE calculation code .
- Added SSE2 support (DualPixel, double precision) .
- Minor fixes .
Their fastest version used single precision limiting magnification to approx. 10^7. The double precision would limit it to approx. 10^12.

I have not checked their site recently and newer versions may have been issued.

Raymond
Posted on 2004-01-06 12:46:40 by Raymond
Hmm, is that the program that can use GPU Shaders too?
Posted on 2004-01-06 12:55:25 by f0dder
I have not looked into that subject. I just tried the link given in the quoted section of my last post and it works. They do have a newer version.

Raymond
Posted on 2004-01-06 13:02:13 by Raymond
After adding a lot of features, the "final" version may have lost some 5-10% speed due to the required overhead for handling the extra code. However, it's still relatively fast and allows zooming up to 10^17 for the simple basic Mandelbrot in 640x480. Maximum magnification is reduced for higher screen resolutions and for the more complex formulas.

The program is available for free download at:

http://www.Nahee.com/Software/

The WManJul_1-0.zip file contains the program, a Help file, a color map, and a few examples.

Although the source code is relatively small with some 8000 lines, it will not be made available. However, if anyone would like some info on how some of the features were implemented, I will try to provide explanations or even some code snippets.

Raymond
Posted on 2004-06-29 21:49:41 by Raymond