Hi all.

I am too lazy to search, but did someone knows, is GIF format (and LZW compression) will become free in the 2004-th year?

Regards
Posted on 2003-12-31 09:31:51 by JohnFound
you might find some info on that site
http://burnallgifs.org/
if you're not too lazy to read ;)
Posted on 2003-12-31 09:57:12 by Tola
Well, I read almost everything, and what I understand is that GIF patend expires in 2004 in whole world.
Posted on 2003-12-31 12:19:20 by JohnFound
PNG is here, use PNG, it is much better than gif, PNG has alpha transparency, gif doesn't
The way I see it, gif are obsolete (at least for still images with transparency, MNG (animated png) hasn't broken thru yet :/ )
Posted on 2004-01-01 04:26:26 by scientica

PNG is here, use PNG, it is much better than gif, PNG has alpha transparency, gif doesn't
The way I see it, gif are obsolete (at least for still images with transparency, MNG (animated png) hasn't broken thru yet :/ )

Hi, Scientica.

Actually, I am not very agree. Yes, PNG is more advanced and have more features than GIF, but on other hand, GIF is more easy for implementation (smaller and faster routines) and GIF have ability to code 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 bits per pixel. I think that if we talk about paletted images, GIF is very very good format, so it is good to have it free of patents.

Regards.
Posted on 2004-01-01 09:11:08 by JohnFound
Hi JohnFound

I can't remember one single gif image that's larger than the png version of it (even if the gif is just resaved as png, I always use max compression - I see no reason to use less), however it was sometime since I last used gifs, but I'm not going back to gif's for "standard" graphics, and jpeg will probably be the choice for photos (untill JNG picks upp in popularity).

I think png support is easy to implement, unless I've missunder stood it's basically just to make use of pnglib.

btw I just found out there is JNG too (basically JPEG with alpha transperancy). The test images I've seen looks very promising
http://www.libpng.org/pub/mng/spec/jng.html
Abstract

This document presents the format of a JNG (JPEG Network Graphics) datastream. JNG is a lossy single-image member of the PNG (Portable Network Graphics) format family. It encapsulates a JPEG datastream in PNG-style chunks, along with an optional alpha channel and ancillary chunks that carry color-space information and comments. While JNG is primarily intended as a subformat of the MNG (Multiple-image Network Graphics) format, standalone JNG files are also possible.
Posted on 2004-01-01 15:55:46 by scientica