Okay,

There was a question posted in another forum on this board about a RamDisk for Windows. Someone replied back with a link to product that is no longer supported by the vendor.

I've been wanting for a while now to reserve some of my RAM (Since I have about ~500 -- ~1GB) for a file system to house some of my programs to speed things up.

Since I can't find many of them, I'd rather learn how to do this and make my own (even if I never do, I want to at least try... then if I learn nothing, I can perhaps learn that it's out of my reach as an individual)...

I won't ask anyone here how, but I would like to ask, if anyone has resources or ideas how one would go about doing something like this.

I've never written a device driver, or a hard disk driver, or even mapped a drive letter to some resource somewhere except another hard drive or server somewhere so I'm very new to this.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2001-10-29 15:38:49 by _Shawn
This would be similar to making a virtual CD-ROM. I suggest you carefully web-search and maybe even e-mail authors of such programs as Virtual CD-ROM and Daemon's Tools.
Posted on 2001-10-29 19:02:13 by comrade
shawn,

i read the other msg, and the 'grownable' ram disk, and had a idea that maybe can inspire you for something...

i dunno, but, if was for w9x, i would try making a VXD hooking IFS, hooking creation/open of files in my drive X:. NT surely have something hookeable similar to IFS in w9x

the vxd return, for file open/created there, a handle with the bit 31 set. the hook in IFS detect read/write/seek to these handles, and modify the block of memory(writes), alloc(when expanding/creating a file) and so on... a structure(maybe indexed by the handle AND 0X7FFFFFFF), created when file is created in virtual disk, control current file size, pointer and so on...

the disk will not allow directories, just files, in the basic idea, but some parsing of "\" in the pathname and some tricky pointers contructions can make it support directories hierarchies easily i think

heheheh...
i should avoid post after ganjah :alright:

ancev
Posted on 2001-10-30 12:15:36 by ancev
Article number Q257405 is MSDN discusses about programming your own ramdisk to Windows 2000.
Posted on 2001-10-30 15:26:08 by SamiP
Thanks... that should make for a good starting point...

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2001-10-30 15:46:17 by _Shawn