I'm apologize form my foolish questions.!!!!:rolleyes:
when i go evrey way see that all talking about VC.Net.!! and new options and Powers.
i see that Windows Longhorn utils wroted in VC.net 7.0.
Is there enough reasons to swich from VC6 to VC.Net?
someone said me VC.Net means Gluar Programming.:confused:
:stupid:
Posted on 2004-01-04 18:00:52 by AliMH
Humm... if you alread have a legal vs6 and don't need to code for .NET, your probably don't need vs.net.

However, the optimizer is quite a lot better, plus vs.net has lots better C++ standards compliance (especially the 2003 version; if you have vs6 and consider vs.net, get vs.net2003 or nothing).

No idea what "Gluar Programming" means.

As for the GUI... some stuff is better, some stuff is worse. Really annoying. There are mostly good stuff though, so I'm using vs.net2003.
Posted on 2004-01-04 18:32:19 by f0dder
I am very happy with Visual Studio .NET 2003 (aka. version 7.1). It fixes many bugs in previous versions and standard compliance is really good. Also performance, both for compiling and the produced executables, has further improved. Without a doubt, the best compiler for Windows.

The GUI is very flexible. If you liked the Visual Studio 6 layout, I think you can configure it very similarly. But you probably don't want that because there are many new features to have a more productive environment...
Posted on 2004-01-05 04:09:39 by C0D1F1ED
Hi C0D1F1ED,

Visual Studio .NET will let you configure it to use Visual Studio 6 key mappings and window layouts, the new key mappings and window layouts or a combination via the Your Profile screen. I have mine set to the new window layouts with VB6 key mappings. Plus, you can play with the devenv object model to a much greater extent than the VS6 one.

Charles
Posted on 2004-01-11 18:29:54 by cdquarles
I have VS.net (2002) but I use VB with it. It is SLOWWWWW! On my Pentium II, it takes like 3 seconds to load a program with a textbox and a button. The same thing coded in MASM loads almost instantly. It was also annoying to have everybody who wants to run my programs download the dotNet runtimes (~24 megs). I haven't used VS.net since I discovered MASM.
Posted on 2004-09-25 10:04:05 by yo|dude|mon
Hi AliMH,

Also, you have the chance to try the free Visual C/C++ toolkit 2003

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003

The Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 includes the core tools developers need to compile and link C++-based applications for Windows and the .NET Common Language Runtime
Posted on 2004-09-25 11:24:34 by Vortex
yea vs.net 2003 is annoying, it doesnt outline code(colapsable blocks etc) like it does in previous versions.
Posted on 2004-09-25 18:53:11 by Qages
I would suggest sticking to VS6 and download the vs2003 toolkit to do the compile.

VS .net has problems detecting
typedef struct {
//.....
} asd;

and it will show up in the class browser as some weird number.
Plus vs .net is also much slower than vs 6.

So as far as using only c++ is concerned i would suggest sticking to vs 6.
Posted on 2004-09-26 02:27:25 by clippy

typedef struct {
//.....
} asd;

That's because you are defining an unnamed structure. 'asd' is just a synonym to it (because of the typedef).

If you mean the IDE, I agree. However, VC7.1 is much superior both in speed and standard conformance to VC6.
Posted on 2004-09-26 06:39:54 by death

typedef struct {
//.....
} asd;

That's because you are defining an unnamed structure. 'asd' is just a synonym to it (because of the typedef).

Yes, but lot of C coders use it. And VC6 shows the name (or synonym as u might like to call it) in the class view which is much better than having an arbitrary integer.
Try opening Quake 2's source in VS .net and u will see what i mean.

If you mean the IDE, I agree. However, VC7.1 is much superior both in speed and standard conformance to VC6.

Thats why i told him to download the VC2003 toolkit to use the 7.1 compiler.
Posted on 2004-09-28 01:37:17 by clippy
I now have Visual C++ 2005 Express, the IDE is cool and as fast as MSDev98, compiling speed is the same so far, hadn't got the chance to compile large projects for x86 on it - just large projects for ARM.
the typedef thingie also produces classnames such as "__unnamed_44744399_1", but when you're coding, autocomplete and intellisense work the way they used to in 6.0.
Also contains masm8 :grin: . And lists sourcefiles you've opened in tabs :D. And docking windows is ... uhm you'd better try it :grin:
Posted on 2004-09-28 05:26:56 by Ultrano