Posted on 2004-01-05 06:57:34 by Hiroshimator
I heard that there are color images coming also.
Any idea where to find them ?
Say, your signature sounds familiar, what's the songs title ?
Posted on 2004-01-05 15:44:31 by Jurgen
The Trooper - Iron Maiden
Posted on 2004-01-05 16:58:30 by Hiroshimator
Arg, what's that heretic way of presenting a song title?
It's Iron Maiden - The Trooper. Or, even better, Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind - The Trooper (track 5). "The Trooper" image was used in a cracktro by The Dream Team for Amberstar, btw :p

cute pix.
Posted on 2004-01-05 17:06:39 by f0dder
So glad they are able to waste so much tax payer money looking for their imaginary martian people and able to see all that dust. Wonder why they don't spend that kind of money on those that need food and shelter?
Posted on 2004-01-05 17:52:28 by mrgone
Becouse, sadly our world doesn't work that way.
Posted on 2004-01-06 17:22:51 by Mikky
Where is the interface to the camera?
I want to drive the car around from a web
based control and take some pictures, too. :grin:
Posted on 2004-01-06 18:10:18 by bitRAKE

So glad they are able to waste so much tax payer money looking for their imaginary martian people and able to see all that dust. Wonder why they don't spend that kind of money on those that need food and shelter?

Do you have any idea what the impact would be of finding life on another planet? It would be a quick end to all the fundamental religions that believe humans were created on the sixth day and own the entire universe. Suddenly people would realize how stupid any kind of belief is that justifies wars. There's simply nothing out there that favors any living being on this planet.
Posted on 2004-01-07 04:22:12 by C0D1F1ED

Do you have any idea what the impact would be of finding life on another planet? It would be a quick end to all the fundamental religions that believe humans were created on the sixth day and own the entire universe. Suddenly people would realize how stupid any kind of belief is that justifies wars. There's simply nothing out there that favors any living being on this planet.

No, unfortunately not true. The fact is that religions tend to reinvent themsleves with every scientific discovery such as the earth revolving around the sun. Did the story of creation die when somebody actually took the time to count men and women's ribs and find out that men weren't missing one ? The ones that don't fit into their plans are ignored or vilified until such time as they can find a place for it in their dogma, it is an old shyster trick that has served those who seek to subjugate humanity well for thousands of years. The problem with myths is that they grow in the telling and change to suit the facts, it is the Baron Von Munchausen school of science. After all, even the ideas of poly-theism that permeate the old testament are conveniently ignored because mono-theism served the aims of those who would keep us down better.

It's too bad about Beagle2, Spirit does not have the same equipment and the research of Beagle2 was perhaps more interesting as it's main goal was to search for signs of life, Spirit is tooled to find traces of former existence of liquid water.
Posted on 2004-01-07 07:31:23 by donkey
Originally posted by donkey
No, unfortunately not true. The fact is that religions tend to reinvent themsleves with every scientific discovery such as the earth revolving around the sun.

Sure, I didn't say the whole religion would dissapear. As long as people have questions they can't answer, there will be religion. What I do am trying to say is that religion would change significally, just like it has when it was generally accepted that earth is not the center of the universe.
Did the story of creation die when somebody actually took the time to count men and women's ribs and find out that men weren't missing one ?

The story didn't die, but it's meaning changed from 'fact' to 'fable'. Because of that, women are currently not regarded as inferiour to men any more because of religious reasons. Likewise, finding life on mars could open people's eyes that there's really no such thing as a God watching over the planet. The meaning of 'God' would change a lot and would correct a few relations between races and religious groups.
Posted on 2004-01-07 08:58:00 by C0D1F1ED

Likewise, finding life on mars could open people's eyes that there's really no such thing as a God watching over the planet. The meaning of 'God' would change a lot and would correct a few relations between races and religious groups.

@donkey and C0D1F1ED:

I beg your pardon, I'm not much of a religious person myself, but IMHO who would stop believing in God because there was life on Mars some hundred million years ago? There is much more to any religion that some silly moral rules and fables... believing in God is not to believe that the Earth is flat, was created in 7 days and it's located in the center of the Universe. Just like bein a jew is not about refusing to eat pork and wearing a little hat, being a muslim is not about wearing funny clothes and refuse to drink alcohol.

Besides, just because some sons of a bitch have used religion to oppress people through the ages doesn't mean that there's nothing to it. Suppose there really was a man called Jesus who waled on water, and a millenia later the Church would use his religion to keep people in ignorance. And imagine there was a man named Moses, and later generations of rulers would use that religion to justify murder and oppression to the palestinians. What does it mean when their lies are discovered? Nothing.

I see what you try to say, but even though I'm an agnostic I find your cosmovision a bit simplistic. Don't underestimate religious people, they're not just a bunch of fanatics denying everything and glad to be fooled.
Posted on 2004-01-07 11:53:50 by QvasiModo
QvasiModo,

I am not talking about God, I am talking about religion and dogma they are entirely separate things. If a person says he believes in God I respect that though I do not necessarily agree. Religion on the other hand serves only as a means to put the boot heel to humanity while emptying their pockets, I have no respect for religion. At any rate I agree with what you said, it is essentially the same thing I did in my post.

This thread has drifted dangerously :grin:
Posted on 2004-01-07 12:17:10 by donkey

QvasiModo,

I am not talking about God, I am talking about religion and dogma they are entirely separate things. If a person says he believes in God I respect that though I do not necessarily agree. Religion on the other hand serves only as a means to put the boot heel to humanity while emptying their pockets, I have no respect for religion. At any rate I agree with what you said, it is essentially the same thing I did in my post.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post then. Your last post is what I meant to say too :)
This thread has drifted dangerously :grin:

Yeah, I was worried to start a flame war on a topic too close to be forbidden by forum rules... but posted anyway :grin:
Posted on 2004-01-07 12:47:43 by QvasiModo
as for me I'm still awed that we can send such good pictures from such a big distance, mankind has progressed quite a bit technologically :)
(not as much as we would've if we weren't bound by greed, but a nice progress nonetheless)
Posted on 2004-01-07 13:16:58 by Hiroshimator
Posted on 2004-01-07 14:58:26 by Tola
Hi Hiro,

AFAIK they have not ramped up the bandwidth yet so the pictures are are still not up to final quality, just imagine what the new ones will look like. There are rumours that the decision will be made to "head for the hills" so to speak. The mountains that are visible in the panaorama view may be one of the long term goals of the rover, that would be something to see. Also I have a serious need for some old 3D glases to look at the 3D stuff that will be coming in. But as I said, Beagle2's tooling was for more interesting experiments though Spirit and Odyssey are obviously testing for things necessary for a future manned mission. Water, if it is found in any form is crucial to a manned mission as it is too heavy to transport and way too heavy to land.
Posted on 2004-01-07 14:58:35 by donkey
3D pictures with 3D glasses i hope you are joking !!!
It looks like even a scientical mission is going to be a show :(
Posted on 2004-01-07 18:48:51 by AceEmbler

3D pictures with 3D glasses i hope you are joking !!!
It looks like even a scientical mission is going to be a show :(

They have to drive the rover by remote control, they need depth perception, the first 3D images are already available on the mars rover site. This is not part of the "show" it is critical to the mission.
Posted on 2004-01-07 19:28:45 by donkey
Luckily my roomate has some 3D glasses. The little ridge on the lower left is more apparent in the 3D images. Looks like New Mexico. :) It is good to be open to shifts in perspective - we really know very little outside of our little space in the galaxy.
Posted on 2004-01-07 20:02:56 by bitRAKE
Means your heart is calous. "I'm sure you don't understand" It wasn't given to you to understand. Yes there is other life. Ever hear of angels? der ah da tell us how it works oh Johnny come lately. Darwin was right.Lol lol lol lol
Posted on 2004-01-08 12:22:43 by mrgone