This server runs on Gentoo Linux. Will probably switch to Open/FreeBSD with the new server :)
Posted on 2005-05-11 19:47:02 by SpooK
It's interesting that it runs on Gentoo, and I'm glad to hear that  :)
I'm very pleased with Gentoo, I never had any problem that I could not solve. But I saw that FreeBSD is gaining wider space, does it have garanteed technical support or something you can realy rely on?
May I ask what is the reason of switching to FreeBSD? Does it suits better to servers? Or it is easyer to configure?
I have a friend who said that he is switching to RedHat form Gentoo because Gentoo takes time to configure it properly, however he admits that with gentoo you can customize almost everything.
Posted on 2005-05-12 04:22:21 by bszente
hi!

i m sorry if i restrained you to switch to linux sooner.

but hey, everyone makes his opinions...

bye!

maybe one day i will use it on a more regular basis, too...maybe.
Posted on 2005-05-12 08:55:25 by HeLLoWorld

i m sorry if i restrained you to switch to linux sooner.

It isn't your fault, for God's sake. Your opinion just reminded to myself. Don't get me wrong. I saw this thread only yesterday.

but hey, everyone makes his opinions...

No question about it. No problem.  :)

maybe one day i will use it on a more regular basis, too...maybe.

Well I think it worth to give it a try, but NOT with Mandrake (in my opinion). Maybe with this time you will find it much more interesting and better.  :D
Posted on 2005-05-12 09:30:59 by bszente
I've only recently taken another stab at desktop linux (using Kubuntu, the KDE version of Ubuntu), and I must say I'm impressed. Most of my hardware worked immediately, and the regular post-installation manual stuff (printer, scanner, OpenGL drivers for my video card) were done quickly using step-by-step guides on the excellent Ubuntu wiki. Package installation is the best I've ever seen (except for FreeBSD), with lots of up-to-date and easy to install packages a mouse-click away. For a while I even forgot that I had in fact installed the AMD64 version; on windows 64-bit edition you are NOT going to forget this (DirectX doesn't work properly etc).

As far as the GPL goes, I think it's a very reasonable deal, depending on your purpose. If you're releasing a commercial package and don't have the clout to build a services infrastructure around it, don't use it. If you only want to release some short code snippets on the internet, don't use it. However, for community projects it is a very good licence IMHO. It makes sure that no company can build a product on top of your collective work and sell it as a competing product, thereby actually decreasing the free project's value. It is a way to ensure that value will continue to be added to the project, instead of it being plundered and superseded by commercial products.
Posted on 2005-05-12 15:55:40 by Qweerdy
But I saw that FreeBSD is gaining wider space, does it have garanteed technical support or something you can realy rely on?
May I ask what is the reason of switching to FreeBSD? Does it suits better to servers? Or it is easyer to configure?

FreeBSD is the original BSD Unix.  There is no guaranteed tech support but there are paid support options and it has some of the best user support of any open source product out there.  Being Unix it is designed to be an excellent server.  I wouldn't say it is easier to configure than Linux because everything is in a text based config file but, then again, everything is in text based config files. 8)

BTW, guess what the base of Apple's Mac OS X is.
Posted on 2005-05-13 00:20:35 by drhowarddrfine

It's interesting that it runs on Gentoo, and I'm glad to hear that  :)
I'm very pleased with Gentoo, I never had any problem that I could not solve. But I saw that FreeBSD is gaining wider space, does it have garanteed technical support or something you can realy rely on?
I have a friend who said that he is switching to RedHat form Gentoo because Gentoo takes time to configure it properly, however he admits that with gentoo you can customize almost everything.

Well, the current difficulty of doing a FreeBSD remote install is keeping me from going this route. I am sticking with Gentoo for the server :)
Posted on 2005-05-14 05:17:33 by SpooK