does anyone knows what this option changes when executing a win32 app?
(rightclick on exe->properties->compatibility)

i had some demos that ran on 98 and not in XP and with this the worked...

what could that do?
Posted on 2004-01-20 05:41:51 by HeLLoWorld

does anyone knows what this option changes when executing a win32 app?
(rightclick on exe->properties->compatibility)

i had some demos that ran on 98 and not in XP and with this the worked...

what could that do?

I guess it's an option but all the programs that I tried to make work with this option didn't work anyway.
Posted on 2004-01-20 08:54:36 by Eternal Idol Birmingham
Salut HeLLoWorld,

Ce truc ne marche jamais pour moi. :(
Posted on 2004-01-21 05:19:14 by Vortex
Look here:

AppCom
Posted on 2004-01-21 05:41:03 by donkey
Donkey,

Posted on 2004-01-21 12:18:14 by Vortex
I saw a similar post on another forum...

Windows XP has the ability to make allowances for known program incompatibilities, enabling many older programs to run under Windows XP without modification. In Windows XP, application compatibility refers to a set of concepts and technologies that enable the operating system to adjust its settings or behavior to compensate for the shortcomings of legacy programs.

When you execute a program using a compatibility layer, Windows XP creates an environment within which the program can function properly. For example, a program running under the Win95 layer actually believes that Windows 95 is the operating system. Windows XP accomplishes that not only by returning the Windows 95 version number when the program calls the GetVersion or GetVersionEx API functions, but also by "fixing" other incompatibilities between Windows 95 and Windows XP. For example, Windows 95 programs expect components such as Calculator and Solitaire to be in the %SystemRoot% folder, but in Windows XP these are in the %SystemRoot%\System32\ folder. The Win95 layer intercepts such file calls and reroutes them to the appropriate location.

The Win95 layer is composed of more than 50 such fixes, which are part of a large database of incompatibilities maintained by Micro$oft. As of this writing, nearly 200 incompatibilities have been identified, and others may be found in the future.

full article at http://www.eu.Microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/mcfedries/03june02.asp

other:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/itss-crc/winxp/docs/AppCompatXP.pdf

Anyway, if you find more explicit information, please let me know.
Posted on 2004-01-21 23:16:56 by roticv
thank you,i was just curious in fact. :)
Posted on 2004-01-24 17:55:43 by HeLLoWorld