Will the dirextx9.0b sdk install on it's own or do I need one of the microsoft visual langauges/studios?
I want to download the sdk to get the directx help files and the includes to see if I can make them work in the free borland c++ 5.5 compiler.:grin:
Thanks
Matt
Posted on 2004-01-25 16:09:18 by GorillaCoder
Well, you can at least extract the installer, and grab the files you want from it. I'm not sure if it will install without MS Visual Studio, but I think it will. And Borland has the problem that it does not support the coff format of lib-files that the SDK uses (at least, last time I looked), so you will have to convert those, I suppose... Other than that, it may not support the COM-stuff, but you could use the C-only interface perhaps.
Posted on 2004-01-25 17:22:35 by Henk-Jan

Well, you can at least extract the installer, and grab the files you want from it. I'm not sure if it will install without MS Visual Studio, but I think it will. And Borland has the problem that it does not support the coff format of lib-files that the SDK uses (at least, last time I looked), so you will have to convert those, I suppose... Other than that, it may not support the COM-stuff, but you could use the C-only interface perhaps.

ok, thanks, I forgot about the libraries not being compatible, I'll just have to download and see what happens. :)
Posted on 2004-01-25 23:34:13 by GorillaCoder
iirc borland includes a coff->omf converter, but I dunno if it's included in the free version... nor whether it can work on whole libs, or if you have to extract the libs, convert all obj's, and re-archive the libs.
Posted on 2004-01-26 00:22:28 by f0dder

iirc borland includes a coff->omf converter, but I dunno if it's included in the free version... nor whether it can work on whole libs, or if you have to extract the libs, convert all obj's, and re-archive the libs.

I just looked in my Borland BIN directory and found the file 'coff2omf.exe', so if anyone else wants to do this with the free compiler they should be able too:alright:. Do you have run every single library through 'coff2omf.exe'? Have you used this before? What do you mean 're-archive the libs'? I'm fairly new at programming c++ and even newer using the Borland compiler. One other question, where would you get the latest sdk for WindowsXP programming? :)

Thanks!
Matt
Posted on 2004-01-26 05:34:57 by GorillaCoder
Well, if coff2omf only handles single object files, you will need to extract all the object files from the MS libraries, run coff2omf on the objects (I hope it supports wildcards, otherwise you'll probably want to code a batch file to avoid manual labour), and then you'll need to use a borland lib tool to create a library from your freshly converted OMF files.
Posted on 2004-01-26 07:57:51 by f0dder