http://ibm.com/open not just for servers anymore and haven't for a long time
Posted on 2004-01-26 15:42:27 by rob.rice
hrm, why would a crappy flash like that change my mind about anything?
Posted on 2004-01-26 16:04:15 by f0dder
Coz lunix si teh futare11!!!1! omglol!!1

(Please note that this the Win32ASM messageboard, so you are not likely to find many linux-users here. Personally I loathe linux for example, probably because I had to use it too often)
Posted on 2004-01-26 16:09:50 by Henk-Jan
says the Apple propagonist ;)

The mind works in strange ways, it's kind of the same reason why I'm tired of windows (so in fact these days that might make me a MAC OS X candidate :grin: ).

In a few years I'll have developed different sores and will have reverted to windows again probably.

And so the snake keeps eating its own tail... ;)
Posted on 2004-01-26 17:13:12 by Hiroshimator
Erm, I don't come here posting Apple propaganda everywhere, and insulting people for not using an Apple.
In fact, I don't use an Apple myself. I merely wanted people to respect the historical importance of Apple, after all, the thread was about the 20th birthday of Apple's Mac, might aswell explain what we should be celebrating.
Don't call me an Apple propagonist, because I am not. I don't care what you use, as long as you know why you're using it, and not the other alternatives.

I am actually very happy with my Windows. I'm just sad that it has to run on x86. But if I have to use x86 anyway, Windows is certainly my OS of choice, which is why I ended up on this messageboard. I am just not an x86 person at heart, and I will never be. And the Mac is the best remaining alternative to x86.

Why rob.rice is on this messageboard, is beyond me. He is not going to convince me anyway, because I am a 'conscious' Windows user. I don't use Windows because everybody else uses it, I use it because I have come to the conclusion that it is the best OS for my needs. I think most members here are the same, so I suggest he checks the linux propaganda at the door. I don't need it, because I've made my decision already, and I think that goes for most people here. And "Friends don't let friends use Windows"? I really think you're on the wrong messageboard, this board is all about using Windows.
Posted on 2004-01-26 17:27:43 by Henk-Jan
Originally posted by Hiroshimator
The mind works in strange ways, it's kind of the same reason why I'm tired of windows (so in fact these days that might make me a MAC OS X candidate :grin: ).

You can taste OS X command line a little bit with this. (I know, I know, you were kidding. :) )

Actually, majority of the code comes from OpenBSD, so not exactly the same, but you can get the warm and cozy feeling of BSD under Windows, too. Better yet, it is not a Cygwin-like crap but a subsystem. :) Personally, I thank MS for this. I've been suffering too much from brain-damaged tools - e.g. nmake, cygwin, and what not.
Posted on 2004-01-26 17:38:11 by Starless

hrm, why would a crappy flash like that change my mind about anything?

there is a whole lot more than flash at that web site
like examples of who and for what linux is being used for
like linux being used as the olny desktop O/S being used
to run things like banks airlines hospitals
and the fact IBM is putting $ 1 Billon in to linux
thay wouden't do that for a server olny O/S
or a toy O/S
Posted on 2004-01-26 18:19:02 by rob.rice
hay henk-jan
You havent looked around this forum much have you ?
there is a lot more than windows here !
Posted on 2004-01-26 18:25:43 by rob.rice
IBM probably figured out that it's cheaper to invest in linux than to hire programmers. Some distros (eg RedHat) work like that. They hire a few programmers that do *some* work, and 'borrow' most stuff from GPL-ed code. It's much cheaper than writing an OS from scratch. It's not particularly fair to the GPL programmers though, but that's their own choice. I would not want to be exploited like this anyway. If anyone is going to make money off my code, I want my share aswell.

There are many things I don't like about linux. The business/licensing model is one of them.

And I only need to look at the name of this messageboard to see that it's not about linux advocacy or Windows bashing. Or look at the subject of the average thread, if you aren't convinced yet.

I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing some linux things here and there, or even asking linux questions... But I think that opening threads specifically to convince people to use linux is a bit beyond the scope of this board. If people wanted to use linux, they would not come here. That's another thing about linux that I don't like by the way, its users forcing it down your throat anytime, anywhere. I have chosen Windows and FreeBSD, and have no need for linux, thank you. Once linux becomes better than Windows or FreeBSD for the things I do with them, perhaps we can talk. Until then, I don't care about linux, and I don't want to hear about its marvels on a Windows-related messageboard. If I want to hear about it, I can ask specifically, or go to a linux forum. And I think most people here feel the same way.
Posted on 2004-01-26 18:30:31 by Henk-Jan
this is the heap the anything you like place in this fourm (except flamming )
I am not forceing any thing on you !!!!
If you realy want to know what it is to have an O/S forced on
you try NOT useing windblows on an x86 system .

the truth is that I don't accept YOUR athorety to tell me what I can or can not post if you don't like that don't read my posts
Posted on 2004-01-26 19:30:42 by rob.rice
I think it's funny how tolerant windows developers are, compared to the linux kids. Try joining a linux board and behaving as rob.rice, you'd be banned on first post.
Posted on 2004-01-27 00:58:22 by f0dder
this is the heap the anything you like place in this fourm (except flamming )

"Friends don't let friends use Windows" comes pretty close to flaming Windows if you ask me. You don't even explain why! And as I said before, this is hardly the place for such talk.

I am not forceing any thing on you !!!!

Then why do you constantly rant about linux without anyone asking about it?

If you realy want to know what it is to have an O/S forced on you try NOT useing windblows on an x86 system .

"windblows"? humm... You might feel l33t because you are not using teh ev0l M$... but erm... this may come as a shock to you... I actually used computers before Windows even existed. In fact, I even used computers other than x86. I have also used real unix flavours, commercial ones. And as we speak, I am using FreeBSD on an x86. So I probably have a lot more experience with non-Windows systems than you do. So if anyone should be telling anyone who should be using what OS, it should be me. I can actually talk about OSes and architectures on a technical level.

the truth is that I don't accept YOUR athorety to tell me what I can or can not post if you don't like that don't read my posts

We already knew that linux users were arrogant and ill-mannered, but thanks for strengthening the stereotype.
Posted on 2004-01-27 03:19:41 by Henk-Jan
this is the heap, he may talk about linux if he likes.
Posted on 2004-01-27 03:41:23 by Hiroshimator
As long as he obeys the rules, doesn't insult us or our OS of choice, I'm fine with him talking about linux. But the way he does it, raises my eyebrows...
Posted on 2004-01-27 03:52:07 by Henk-Jan
BWT my first computer was an 8bit machine and I do use windblows How else whould I have come to hate it

Your the one I see ranting and your the one I see posting in leet

just who died and made you king had someone eles posted
what you just posted YOU would be calling them ill mannered
and arrogant

so be cause I won't roll over and play dead for you I am ill mannered and arrogant sence when did I become YOUR dog

TACK NOTE OF THIS
you are attacking me for NOT Being Your Dog who in the h?ll
do you think you are KING OF THE WORLD OR SOMETHING
Posted on 2004-01-27 03:56:25 by rob.rice

You can taste OS X command line a little bit with this. (I know, I know, you were kidding. :) )

Actually, majority of the code comes from OpenBSD, so not exactly the same, but you can get the warm and cozy feeling of BSD under Windows, too. Better yet, it is not a Cygwin-like crap but a subsystem. :) Personally, I thank MS for this. I've been suffering too much from brain-damaged tools - e.g. nmake, cygwin, and what not.

no not really, I really would like a mac OS X machine but for the life of me I couldn't afford it :)
So I'll just stick to my linux (and freebsd as well now) and windows boxes.
Posted on 2004-01-27 03:58:19 by Hiroshimator
You must be a dog, because you are barking up the wrong tree :)
Posted on 2004-01-27 04:00:18 by Henk-Jan
Henk-jan

what tree

If windows was half as good as you think it is there woulden't even be a linux or any BSD unix at all
Posted on 2004-01-27 04:15:14 by rob.rice

no not really, I really would like a mac OS X machine but for the life of me I couldn't afford it :)
So I'll just stick to my linux (and freebsd as well now) and windows boxes.

getting in between me and Henk-Jan just as the fight is getting started ?

As you wish Hero

I have made my last post to His Highness
Posted on 2004-01-27 04:24:24 by rob.rice

I think it's funny how tolerant windows developers are, compared to the linux kids. Try joining a linux board and behaving as rob.rice, you'd be banned on first post.

lets see just what did I do
I tryed to help someone who was asking for help ,
I touck a small jab at F0dder
I tryed to bring someone up to date so he woulden't look like such a fool in what he was saying
I tould someone Im not his doormat

I may have jabed at you now and then I will admit to that

BUT you flat out attack people I mean out to kill

you can insult linux on the linux forums (and if you did everbody would tell you HOW you are wrong not just that you are wrong)
BUT the way YOU attack people would get you banned on every linux forum there is your lucky Hero is so forgiveing
Posted on 2004-01-27 04:43:51 by rob.rice