Please, don't include BSD in your own holy war. BSD is about many things, but definitely not about trolling.
BSD users/developers couldn't care less whether you use Windows or linux. Each one has his/her own job to do, and BSD does not force anything for the job.
Posted on 2004-01-27 20:44:31 by Starless
another little knowen fact is that M$ will have what amounts to a copright on the info relating to the API in what ever replaces XP
and it is veary likely that nothing from the XP API will be in what ever replaces XP so unless you sell $10,000,000.00 worth of software
and play kissie kissie with M$ you will not be alowed to use the info on that API ( M$ won big time in that last court case with the FEDs)

Do you have any proof of this whatsoever? Or is it just unfounded slander?

this is a matter of public record look up the anti trust and unfair trade pratices case brought agenst M$ by th U.S. fedrail court
Posted on 2004-01-27 20:45:44 by rob.rice
If IBM embraces open source so much, why don't they open source Z/OS?
Posted on 2004-01-27 20:53:49 by Mecurius

M$ mind goons...snip...I have had to deal with control games...snip...like a drug pusher...snip...you buying there dope...snip...a pimp...snip...a prostute...snip...M$ is...snip...slave trade

Your penguin must be on some heavy stuff :grin: Better not to compile a kernel in that state... ;)
Posted on 2004-01-27 21:50:53 by JimmyClif
this is a matter of public record look up the anti trust and unfair trade pratices case brought agenst M$ by th U.S. fedrail court

So it is unfounded slander then. The issue of 'XP APIs' was never taken to court. And I have never heard anything about it.

In case you didn't realize it yet, f0dder and I DO use free software. F0dder uses linux, and I use FreeBSD. But we ALSO use Windows. So you don't have to come trolling here, we know enough about the stuff already, but we STILL like to use Windows, and we know why, so we don't need you to explain us. And I bet we know more about linux/BSD than you do, let alone Windows (you haven't made one single technical argument yet), so we don't need to take advice from you, we are better qualified.
Besides, we are not keeping anyone from using linux or FreeBSD. You are the only one bothering about what other people use. We have never said that you should use Windows instead of linux. We only said that WE like to use Windows, and we have that right, and you can do nothing about it. We know that, you don't.
What are you, some 14-year old snotty hax0r kiddie? Grow up. This is the real world.
Posted on 2004-01-28 04:00:21 by Henk-Jan

why f0dder was giveing out advice that would never work

Say...what? If you're talking about the kernel stuff, my advice would work and was *safe*. If he had followed *cough* other advice *cough*, overwriting the original kernel and not re-running LILO, the system wouldn't be in a bootable state.

As already mentioned, I have used (and still use) a variety of OSes, including linux and BSD. I've fixed bugs in incompetent open-source coders programs just to be able to use them, I've played with linux before little kiddies like you started trolling about it, and it's certainly a conscious choice that I have windows on my serious boxes.

Lay off the heavy drugs, learn some english grammar+spelling, and stop trolling, kthx?
Posted on 2004-01-28 05:09:28 by f0dder
LoL

I just found out that you f0dder where the author of the xcom bug fix !
Thanks again for this patch, made me finally playing this game again after so many years now on windows.

Finally a useful programmer :grin:

I own you a beer for this...
Posted on 2004-01-28 08:05:14 by Ranma_at
:D - I wouldn't have made the patch if I didn't enjoy XCOM very much myself. Too bad the win32 version is slightly butchered compared to the dos32 one - ie, the intro only has midi music, but no samples :(
Posted on 2004-01-28 08:41:15 by f0dder
rob.rice:

this is my last post ... etc

rob.rice:

blabla... blabla...(5 lines or so) (TM) rob.rice (C)

(exact quote of course!)
:)

its funny how it looks kewl to say "this is my last post" and come back with a full painfully readable paragraph.

btw i think when you say "tack" you mean "take"? whats that weird spelling?
Posted on 2004-01-28 09:43:54 by HeLLoWorld

Say...what? If you're talking about the kernel stuff, my advice would work and was *safe*. If he had followed *cough* other advice *cough*, overwriting the original kernel and not re-running LILO, the system wouldn't be in a bootable state.

As already mentioned, I have used (and still use) a variety of OSes, including linux and BSD. I've fixed bugs in incompetent open-source coders programs just to be able to use them, I've played with linux before little kiddies like you started trolling about it, and it's certainly a conscious choice that I have windows on my serious boxes.

Lay off the heavy drugs, learn some english grammar+spelling, and stop trolling, kthx?

i
everbody should look at the pattren of your posts when it come to linux so thay can see for them selves that what Im saying about you is true
Posted on 2004-01-28 11:53:44 by rob.rice
Maybe it's time you took another glance over the rules... please keep things friendly and attack the argument, not the person, thank you.

I'm sure f0dder did not have "Clippy must fail with the evil linux" as goal.
Posted on 2004-01-28 12:04:45 by Hiroshimator

Are you sure? Many people want to see Clippy die :)
Posted on 2004-01-28 12:18:50 by Henk-Jan

Maybe it's time you took another glance over the rules... please keep things friendly and attack the argument, not the person, thank you.

I mot attacking the person Im attacking what he is doing on this forum the pattren of posts shows clearly that he is trying to drive people away from linux
Posted on 2004-01-28 12:19:26 by rob.rice
he is trying to drive people away from linux

He is not even driving himself away from linux! I think you are seeing ghosts (hallucinations?).
Posted on 2004-01-28 12:22:08 by Henk-Jan

I mot attacking the person Im attacking what he is doing on this forum the pattren of posts shows clearly that he is trying to drive people away from linux

Driving people away from linux? I'm mocking linux, indeed, as it deserves mocking. Besides, you're trying to drive peopel away from windows. On a windows programming messageboard, what would you say is worst? Trying to "drive people away from linux" (yet providing them with help on that piece of crap), or to "drive people away from windows"?

Perhaps you don't understand this, but it can be seen as pretty insulting to go on a windows board and preach about the virtues of linux (especially when using crap arguments like you), especialyl when combined with flaming windows. I suggest you go to a muslim messageboard and preach christianity - or, even better, go to a rabiate muslim *country* and preach christianity and western morals. You surely know better than those infidels! heretics!

Quite funny how you don't really see BSD users behave like the linux kids. They certainly have a more secure, robust and mature product to preach about than the linux kids.

If I didn't see the use of linux/BSD/other-70s-OSes, I probably wouldn't have PuTTY installed on my system and PageAnt running at boot-time. I am, however, pretty tired of little zealots like you trying to cram linux down un-interested people's throats, and claim it's good for a lot of people that wouldn't be able to use it.
Posted on 2004-01-28 13:52:42 by f0dder
Rob,

While we may disagree with most things on the planet, when I get a spare box to play with which may happen soon, your logo is the distro I will use next time. I tried out Redhat last time and it was the most bad mannered buggy pig I have ever played with but I gather SlackWare is far better and a lot more reliable. :alright:

Regards,
http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/cryptmail.php?tauntspiders=in.your.face@nomail.for.you&id=2f46ed9f24413347f14439b64bdc03fd
Posted on 2004-01-29 03:19:15 by hutch--
hutch--, ever tried FreeBSD? :)
Posted on 2004-01-29 03:47:13 by Henk-Jan
hutch, if you want to play with linux, you might want to play around with debian first - it's still a powerful and stable no-nonsense (except for their GPL fascism) distribution, but it's a bit more managable than slack - besides, apt-get is wonderful for getting+updating software.

I use slack for my serverbox, but that's mainly because... umm... I installed slack, and it worked, and I don't need XFree86 or automatic updates or stuff like that. If I was to use it for desktop/workstation stuff (whatever_deity forbid I'll ever have to use linux for that), I'd probably go for gentoo to have the fastest binaries.

If I had the time, I'd play around with FreeBSD again, the 5.x series sounds pretty promising, and there's a lot less bullshit and nonsense and kiddies around the BSD community... somewhat less software support, too, but at least BSD software tends to be pretty well engineered, by people who seem to have a clue what they're doing.
Posted on 2004-01-29 06:45:19 by f0dder
somehow I hate dselect :/

dunno why. debian's install is horror for me. I like freebsd's install routine although it should be made a bit more 're?ntrant'
Posted on 2004-01-29 07:11:18 by Hiroshimator
How do you mean 're-entrant'?
You can run /stand/sysinstall at any time, if that is what you mean...
Posted on 2004-01-29 07:17:36 by Henk-Jan