HOw to programming operating system
how to programming IDE (Visual C++)
How to developing ASM

I am very confused as there are a lot of programming language available(Java, c++, ASM)

How they are developed
Posted on 2004-01-26 22:42:09 by chaos2004
Are you trying to become a programer ?
Or are you trying to learn a new programing language ?

In this forum are lots of people who created their own IDE, OS or even Language Interpreters.

Just dont waste your time with VC++ MFC :)

regards

ranma_at
Posted on 2004-01-27 02:43:35 by Ranma_at

Just dont waste your time with VC++ MFC :)

regards

ranma_at

Why ??
Posted on 2004-01-27 06:05:28 by AceEmbler
I am visitin a C/C++ Messageboard alot, there the C++ programmers say MFC is as good as dead.
They are not hobbyprogrammers like me. The future is Java and C# when it comes to programming for cash.

And Microsoft doesnt support MFC alot, .NET doesnt come with MFC ...

and from my experience MFC DOES suck, what kind of C++ is this when in MFC C++ the smalles Application always needs a runtime library. Its just like VB then, but alot more harder.

regards

Ranma_at
Posted on 2004-01-27 09:49:40 by Ranma_at
.NET doesnt come with MFC ...

Saaaay... what? Why do I have the option to install it, then, even with vs.net 2003?

Its just like VB then, but alot more harder.

More flexible, faster executables. I don't like MFC too much, but it's not really that bad. Even if you link statically, the executable sizes aren't *that* bad - especially not if compared to delphi/BCB. And no, I don't really mind apps starting at 100-200k, since MFC typically isn't used for simplistic tiny apps where this kind of bulk overhead would matter.
Posted on 2004-01-27 10:27:03 by f0dder
.NET != VS.NET

Visual Studio.NET can generate both .NET and 'legacy' code.
.NET comes with its own new GUI library though (WinForms), which replaces MFC.
Posted on 2004-01-27 11:12:44 by Henk-Jan
Assembly + MFC is the best language when it comes to programming for cash. Java and C# are as good as dead.
Posted on 2004-01-27 16:32:08 by comrade
beginner asks a question

and forum members start arguing on something else without answering

lol

:grin:

(and someone like me comes and makes a comment like mine and doesnt answer either)

:grin: :grin:

roflol
Posted on 2004-01-28 14:38:21 by HeLLoWorld
chaos2004, things must be done one after another. First, learn how to code asm AND C++ . Knowing both will give you the ability to easily see things from two points of view: low-level, and more global, so later you'll be able to code much easily.
After you have learnt how to code well (and you will learn yourself when that time comes), you will see clearly what you'd like to code. There's no much use of IDEs, unless you can provide something better than what already exists. No much use of coding your own OS, either. You'd best then join the development team of an IDE or OS that you find interesting. Or you can find other things that interest you more. But first, you should do your best to learn at least the basics of C++ and asm, and understand the link between them.
I was told MFC for PocketPC isn't dead at all, and I recently saw several good apps made in MFC (CodeWarrior was one of them lol ) . But I also looked at the MFC sourcecode and I can say the AFX team had very good ideas. MFC being sluggish and making big executables is mostly because ... it's not possible otherwise. MFC are just C++ classes after all, and OOP inheritance can't allow killing of methods and vars. In other words, MFC's fucked up because it's too universal. And its purpose of existance is to be universal. AFX team probably saw that, so they had another good reason to give sourcecode to coders - so that we could create our own specific C++ classes, copying parts of MFC. So, you can freely see MFC as a very good snippets library. :grin:
Sadly few people see this usefulness of MFC, so I guess that's why MS probably decided to cancel MFC support. In all cases, if you're into OOP (or into making more complex programs), I think you must take at least a day in the MFC src code.
Posted on 2004-01-29 14:44:30 by Ultrano
Wise words, ultrano. Nice to see somebody who doesn't flame MFC, and actually had a look at it.
Posted on 2004-01-29 14:49:13 by f0dder
To clarify... I would suggest to learn (and master) C, and then do some C++ and/or asm.
C and asm are quite similar. C++ teaches you more powerful and modern concepts, but C++ is such a complex language that it takes forever to master it (I know I still haven't, after all these years... even compilers haven't :)), and mastering C++ is not required for asm, nor even useful. Just as long as you understand the basics of structural programming and object-oriented design, I'd say.
Posted on 2004-01-29 15:09:24 by Henk-Jan