Since you answered my last question in a way that satisfied my eager collecting of knowledge, I'll keep on bugging you with new questions :)

Could someone explain me the function of pipelines and what they do to make things faster, shorter: just give me all the informations on pipelines??

*PredeX*
Posted on 2001-10-31 19:52:28 by PredeX
All the info? Come on, read the manual! Ask question at the points where your confused. I'll give a general reply because your question was so general:

The pipelines basically break the instructions into smaller pieces (RISC core) and then recombine the pieces in a way that is more ecconomical for the processor. :) Things are faster because they can execute at the same time.
Posted on 2001-10-31 20:37:44 by bitRAKE
But where do i find such a manual?? www.microsoft.com?? And i actually didnt mean "all the information" seriously, i just wanted to know the most important stuff about them...

*PredeX*
Posted on 2001-10-31 21:00:56 by PredeX
You could Google and read a few pages, or if you want a more practical view of how it's going to effect your code read Agner Fog's Pentium Optimization Manual. Or download the manuals from Intel. There are often technical discussions on the news group news: comp.lang.asm.x86 reguarding the specifics of the core. :)
Posted on 2001-10-31 21:17:01 by bitRAKE
PredeX,

In a very simplified sense, a pipeline in a modern processor performs a number of actions on any given instruction in sequence. It is like a production line.

Even though it takes time to run an instruction through this production line, because more than one instruction at a time is in the pipeline, the average time for each one is a lot faster. When you get you code correct you get a big increase in speed by organising your code so that it runs through the pipeline with no holdups.

Generally there are instructions that better suit this task than others and this is why asm coding is still an artform, not a process.

The manual from Agner Fog is a very good advanced collection of technical data, the intel manuals are very good if a bit complicated and between them, you should start getting an idea of how this technology works.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2001-11-01 02:46:08 by hutch--
You wouldn't be referring to Windows' pipe system, would you? If that's what you meant, these API's are for use with pipes:

CallNamedPipe
ConnectNamedPipe
CreateNamedPipe
CreatePipe
DisconnectNamedPipe
GetNamedPipeHandleState
GetNamedPipeInfo
PeekNamedPipe
SetNamedPipeHandleState
TransactNamedPipe
WaitNamedPipe

General usage (at least in our little ASM world) is to extract text from console (MS-DOS box) applications.
Posted on 2001-11-01 13:11:00 by Qweerdy