MFC is using API or doing things it's own way ??
Posted on 2004-02-01 10:09:18 by AceEmbler
MFC is merely a thin wrapper for the Win32 API. It ends up being nothing more than "using the Win32 API" the official Microsoft way in a C++ context. It does present to the developer a higher level of abstraction than using straight C and the Win32 API.
Posted on 2004-02-01 10:51:54 by grimly
erm, that's somewhat wrong, grimly. You're probably thinking of WTL.

MFC is a class library wrapping the win32 API - and it's not really all that thin; this means a lot of overhead which is noticeable for small projects. Doesn't matter that much with normal projects though, and MFC wasn't designed with small stuff in mind.
Posted on 2004-02-01 18:09:13 by f0dder
MFC is programmed _very_ badly. Just have a look at the core classes. Lots of Goto's and very unreadable code.

Sebastian
Posted on 2004-02-02 03:16:23 by lordseppo13
http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=16983

MFC gives some great functions, many of which are not directly visible even from its srccode. Anyone tried to make a window with any ActiveX component, directly getting its class interfaces? Do this: using MFC, make a dialogbox, put in it a Flash OCX with loaded data and stuff, make flawless interaction between the app and the activescript.... then try to do the same stuff without MFC ;) I've done this, and with MFC it took me 5 minutes to make, while it would have taken me a week or two otherwise. And notice you automatically get the intellisense features for the ActiveX you loaded. And besides this, there are lots of things (non-ole) to quickly make a lot of GUI stuff. The other stuff I've already said in the above link.
Posted on 2004-02-04 12:23:12 by Ultrano