Dear Mr. Kyprianou,
I'm sorry I can't include the error messages Win ASM gives when I attempt to link our course's text's author's example.asm file. I can remember that Win ASM is complaining about the calls to macros which are part of our text author's io.h header file. Macros include atod and such.
My teacher and I are wondering if Win ASM is ignoring the path settings for include, because Win ASM already has an io.h of its own. We do want to be able to use our text author's io.h, so we can focus our efforts on something besides input/output.
I wish I could attach the example.asm file again, but I think I attached it to my last message. I have to run to class NOW. Sorry. I'll try to get back to you tomorrow. Take care.

Bill L
Posted on 2004-02-02 15:59:28 by pastshelfdate
Dear pastshelfdate,

WinAsm Studio does NOT ignore your path settings. It does NOT have a io.h of its own. In the example you posted there is a line:

INCLUDE io.h

This means that io.h is either in the include path you specified from Tools-Options-Files & Paths-Include Path OR in your project folder. Is it ?

You said that you can assemble from both the command line AND from within WinAsm Studio. If this is really the case then your io.h is found properly.

You also said that the problem is that you can link NEITHER from the command line NOR from within WinAsm studio (this is obvious from the errors you get when you try to link). It is clear that you miss one or more library files (*.lib). If you don't have
IncludeLib xxxx.lib statement(s) in your io.h then your program won't link.

In addtion, i don't know what is included in the CD you used to obtain the MASM32 package (are there any *.lib files ?).

I think you should follow everything in the quickstart page of my site (i.e. use the hutch's MASM32 package), assemble & link some of the samples I include in the WinAsm Zip package so that you get the idea. After that it will be easier for you to use the examples of your CD.

Please let me know of any progress,

Antonis Kyprianou
Posted on 2004-02-03 01:25:29 by akyprian
Dear Mr. Kyprianou,
Actually, I don't remember saying I couldn't link example.obj from the command line. I have linked that file from the command line. I wil try again, just to make sure.

"In the example you posted there is a line:

INCLUDE io.h

This means that io.h is either in the include path you specified from Tools-Options-Files & Paths-Include Path OR in your project folder. Is it ?"

We did update the include path in Tools-Options-Files & Paths-Include. It does point to where I have our text author's io.h file. So I don't know what's wrong.

I'll go back to your site and try Hutch's Quick Start package. Maybe MASM installed (again) in the way Win ASM expects will help it all run better. Earliest I can do that is Friday. I'm at school a lot, and we don't have permission to install anything here. Thanks for the suggestions. Take care.

Bill L.
Posted on 2004-02-03 15:53:13 by pastshelfdate