How many of you are professional programmers working for companies or working privately selling shareware and such things.
anyone at MS? :grin: or any other big player such as norton, adobe, EA?
I bet you dont do programming in asm for money :)
Posted on 2004-02-03 17:39:32 by Mikky
I don't do programming for a living (yet?), but I've been involved in a couple of commercial projects. One was an engineering app that didn't require asm at all, the other a shareware protection scheme that involved a little asm. I also did a few apps for the museum where I did my civil army duty, including a book database - again, no asm involved, it would've been silly.

I generally don't use asm where it isn't required (speed or lack of HLL features) or makes my life easier... though, of course, I do some every now and then just for fun.
Posted on 2004-02-03 18:47:23 by f0dder
I work to integrate programming into my job, but the code is usually VBA. Ah, if they'd only let me program in ASM... :(
Posted on 2004-02-03 19:02:34 by bitRAKE
Hmm, I was involved in one commercial product that was fully written in ASM.

:alright: :grin:
Posted on 2004-02-03 19:32:47 by Milos
I am a profesional programmer == i earn all my money from programming only

And yes i did have some ASM tasks from US companys, and i also know profesional programmers
that did shareware titles all in ASM (ie full games) :D

Yes unfortunately most jobs are HLL (c/c++)
...and for local market i use VisualFox for databases.

I did work for some big players ... no not that big as MS :grin:
Posted on 2004-02-03 21:14:15 by BogdanOntanu
Well I don't work in a software company or program for a living. I divide my time on school, work and other things. But I do make small utilities for my friends(and for my personal use) from time to time which I offer for free. :grin:

Whatever job I will get in the future even not related to programming, works fine for me. :wave:
Posted on 2004-02-03 22:53:06 by arkane

How many of you are professional programmers working for companies or working privately selling shareware and such things.
anyone at MS? :grin: or any other big player such as norton, adobe, EA?
I bet you dont do programming in asm for money :)

Actually, I *do* program in asm for a living (and C, too).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2004-02-03 22:57:53 by rhyde
Hola,
I did alot of contract work in nyc using c/c++ but I went back to school because I figured my student loans weren't killing me so I'm adding a few more thousand -- I'm glad I solved that problem... I haven't been snatched up by any software development companies however... Are there any even in nyc at this point... Working on masters right now hoping that this helps...

Sliver

ps. bitRAKE if you figure out how to get a company to switch from VBA to ASM tell me I'd think that would be some story... :grin:
Posted on 2004-02-04 01:24:32 by Sliver
I'm a professional programmer but my job is almost 100% C\C++...
Posted on 2004-02-04 02:47:38 by Eternal Idol Birmingham
Well, I am professional programmer too. I worked for several software companies, but I got tired to write the same acounting again and again ;) and I began to work in one factory like PLC programmer/automatics supporting. Now I programm Siemens PLC and its language is very close to assembler.
Besides that, there was a case that we needed a program that to identify details type and to set the machine mode. The headquarters programmers sent us a stupid programm written on VB, that doesn't worked at all, so I simply write a little assembler program to do the job. They still can't believe that it is 10k with full GUI, etc... :)
Now I am writing another program that to collect information about machine production and to write it to SQL server database for future procesing.
They simply leave me to do what I want... :)
I am using FASM with Fresh IDE for this project.

Regards.
Posted on 2004-02-04 03:21:09 by JohnFound
All my money comes from coding in Delphi and Perl. I worked for HP about 3 years.
Posted on 2004-02-04 04:39:10 by Azrim
Sad to say the market out here turned to crap a few years ago and I refuse to write databases in VB or fix up old line numbered basic so I stopped bothering and currently feed myself from the investment market.

I think the market will come back again and if I like the look of what is around, I may do some more but I am happy enough to work in the investment market while the software market continues to undergo rationalisation.

There will be a demand out the other end and it will probably be for people who still know how to write software rather than the operators of visual garbage but I may not be interested by then.

Regards,
http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/cryptmail.php?tauntspiders=in.your.face@nomail.for.you&id=2f46ed9f24413347f14439b64bdc03fd
Posted on 2004-02-04 04:52:59 by hutch--
I am a full time programmer using the .Net environment.
Posted on 2004-02-04 04:57:44 by sluggy
I like a lot programming, actually I dont hav a job based, but now I am not finding a job, only some times, I help my friends at school (I dont get money by my friends), but some times, others people get my help, and they give me some money then I only get the suficient for live a "normal live"..., but yes, I will be a profesional programmer.
Posted on 2004-02-04 05:27:37 by rea

I like a lot programming, actually I dont hav a job based, but now I am not finding a job, only some times, I help my friends at school (I dont get money by my friends), but some times, others people get my help, and they give me some money then I only get the suficient for live a "normal live"..., but yes, I will be a profesional programmer.

Is it possible to find a programmer job in Mexico?
I'm from Argentina, last March I've moved to Spain and last May I've started working as C\C++ programmer.
I've been really lucky and I'm an italian citizen but there are plenty of jobs here, there aren't a good local work force.

Regards,
Mariano.
Posted on 2004-02-04 06:17:17 by Eternal Idol Birmingham
I have plans of setting up my own company, and work out some ideas for software that I have.
But I need to earn the money for doing that with a 'regular' programming job :)
Posted on 2004-02-04 06:27:31 by Henk-Jan

I have plans of setting up my own company, and work out some ideas for software that I have.
But I need to earn the money for doing that with a 'regular' programming job :)

I don't know why that idea seems familiar to me ;)

Having your own company is REALLY cool :)
:cool:
Posted on 2004-02-04 06:31:26 by Eternal Idol Birmingham
I forgot to tell you that i have my own software company also :)
Not very succesfull as i am pretty lazy, but still standing
:tongue:
Posted on 2004-02-04 07:10:39 by BogdanOntanu
I encourage that !!!

Maybe some time I will trabel to italy, for help in a nice project... ;), also I dont know how is the "local force" here, there exist, but I dont know how skilled they can be.... but normally the "nice guys" are out of M?xico, but I still here.. I will work normally here and improve the local force.

Yes in M?xico you can find a job.. some like computrabajo page can help... also I remember that I see a job time a go for a telecommunication company and the salary was really high, but in that place the skills required was a lot high too. Also find a job in a bank like a programmer I think that can be cool and the pay will be good, but you need be good too.

Have a nice day or night.
Posted on 2004-02-04 07:14:37 by rea
I have some experience with programming for money.

I worked on AS/400 (now iSeries) in RPG language.
Wrote an administration package,
helped with Warehouse package,
helped with Transport package.

then I helped with an e-shop in html and ihtml.
also did some projects in Delphi.

:alright:
Posted on 2004-02-04 07:24:39 by Jurgen