more info here
http://slashdot.org/articles/04/02/12/2114228.shtml?tid=109&tid=187
http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=17509&category=main
you can already find a list of files and some screenshots on the net.
:eek:
Posted on 2004-02-12 16:37:50 by Tola
Neowin is down.. here's a mirror :

http://www.student.uib.no/~st03069/neowin.html

and here the list of all the files:

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~mortehu/files.txt (watch it 56kb'ers this bugger is 2.0 MB big and shows only a list of 30,000 files...)
Posted on 2004-02-12 18:10:27 by JimmyClif
Yikes
Posted on 2004-02-12 19:29:10 by x86asm
We all knew it was coming, I mean it isn't that big of a shock and it is barely news. Microsoft has been releasing the source code to Governments, known world wide for their ability to keep secrets and not leak sensitive material :rolleyes: . It was only a matter of time before Joe Civilservant stole a harddrive and the source got out, or else the poor schmuck who maintains the PCs didn't actually destroy the drive when he replaced it with a higher capacity model. Hell I remember when we did the USTRC liquidation, we acidentally sold a Fujitsu Eagle with the complete AT&T Unix source on it, poor Alex D. when the RCMP showed up at his door
Posted on 2004-02-12 20:02:58 by donkey
MS makes most of their money from Office, but this could open windows to much more severe attacks from virus writers. Sadly, it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

Longhorn could be soon than we think!
Posted on 2004-02-12 20:06:02 by bitRAKE
pssst you can download the soure code here :grin:

I'm such a jerk... :P
Posted on 2004-02-12 20:16:05 by arkane
It seems official: found the news also on yahoo:
(german) http://de.news.yahoo.com/040213/12/3vpzi.html

Was just a matter of time till something like this happend
Posted on 2004-02-13 01:43:32 by Ranma_at
Too bad the MASM source wasn't leaked - there are bugs I'd like to fix for 'em. :P
Posted on 2004-02-13 09:20:42 by bitRAKE
I needed TASM source code to be released leggaly for free :grin:
Also i guess Win2k/Xp will benefit from an Open Source official release (not free just open source)
This way many eyes will spot problems/bugs and hopefylly report them :tongue:
Posted on 2004-02-13 11:06:43 by BogdanOntanu
I think it is a mediatic operation to obfuscate public opinion about the bugs discovered this week.

:grin: :grin:
From TheRegister:
"The Register is confident that close study will reveal that it's all such a byzantine nightmare that our long-held theory that Microsoft doesn't know what's in there either will be proved, but don't look if you ever want to legally develop for Windows again."
Posted on 2004-02-13 11:57:04 by pelaillo
It's a sad sad day.

I came to far learning how to code on my own but only through the great help that you guys gave me. I don't want or need to see a thing but a 1/2 of a or two JUST to see if i was right about something.

Hello everybody

Everything fine

See you soon bye. :)
Posted on 2004-02-13 12:24:41 by cmax

We all knew it was coming, I mean it isn't that big of a shock and it is barely news. Microsoft has been releasing the source code to Governments, known world wide for their ability to keep secrets and not leak sensitive material :rolleyes: . It was only a matter of time before Joe Civilservant stole a harddrive and the source got out, or else the poor schmuck who maintains the PCs didn't actually destroy the drive when he replaced it with a higher capacity model. Hell I remember when we did the USTRC liquidation, we acidentally sold a Fujitsu Eagle with the complete AT&T Unix source on it, poor Alex D. when the RCMP showed up at his door

Considering how many schools have the source, the only shocker is that it didn't happen years ago. I had access to the complete NT 4.0 source code about four years ago at UCR, for example (I was doing some research into adding distributed shared memory to NT). At one point, I had the tempation to zip everything up (5 gigabytes) and take it home for posterity. However, it was easy to avoid yielding to the temptation - playing with the NT source code is an intractible problem for most people (there were something like 35,000,000 lines of source code at the time, just finding the section of the code I was interested in took several weeks of study). The news accts claim that the release of this source code could give Microsoft competitors some sort of advantage. Ha! Microsoft could do considerable harm to its competition by releasing the source code as open source -- Then all their competitors' programmers would spend all their time studying the Windows source code rather than productively producing products :-)
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2004-02-13 14:03:47 by rhyde
(What I've heard) It's only parts of the code that has been leaked - lots and lots of very significant things are missing. Should be most/all of ntoskrnl and kernel32.dll plus at least large parts of winsock2 though - definitely enough information to make reverse engineering windows easier. Shouldn't be a major disaster like some people think, though - a lot of code is missing, and things that would have been really interesting to exploit people would be things like IE, ISS, MSSQL etc. Code seems to be relatively clean and well-structured + commented - especially if you compare it to linux junk.

Dunno if one should have a look at the code... might be interesting, but mostly for the sake of curiosity - I doubt I'd have much use for it at the moment. I wonder how much MS would be doing to punish people who just take a look at the code... distributing it would be plain stupid IMO :)
Posted on 2004-02-13 14:55:21 by f0dder
yep that's what some people say. They said the source is well written and commented(esp. on the assembly files).

personally, it's a waste of time to look since I have much better productive things to do.

:wave:
Posted on 2004-02-13 15:04:20 by arkane
You don't really need the source code to guess that "the source is well written and commented", though... a lot of MS code is like that, and they have descriptive names. While this sucks in an editor without intellisense or similar, it's much nicer than obscure abbreviations - yay for the linux kernel ;)
Posted on 2004-02-13 15:12:49 by f0dder

MS makes most of their money from Office, but this could open windows to much more severe attacks from virus writers. Sadly, it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

Longhorn could be soon than we think!

There could be some postives as well.

1. Secret API code might be seen
2. Code could be improved on
3. Code could be made MORE secure by holes plugged

But the bad side includes that this will probably hurt MS pocket book since better OS's might now
be written.
Posted on 2004-02-13 15:50:49 by skywalker
looks like the code was taken from mainsoft who were porting windows apps to unix (or something).
the 200mb zip file that's floating around does not contain the complete code.
should still be interesting for some people.

the following is taken from /.

grep -ir fuck windows_2000_source_code/*

private/shell/applets/welcome/html/webapp.cpp: // HighContrast mode
is turned on. This totally fucks our style sheet as most of it will
private/shell/shell32/copy.c:// want to fuck with.
private/shell/shell32/util.cpp:// the fucking alpha cpp compiler
seems to fuck up the goddam type "LPITEMIDLIST", so to work
private/shell/shell32/util.cpp:// around the fucking peice of shit
compiler we pass the last param as an void *instead of a LPITEMIDLIST
private/shell/shell32/util.h:// the fucking alpha cpp compiler seems
to fuck up the goddam type "LPITEMIDLIST", so to work
private/shell/shell32/util.h:// around the fucking peice of shit
compiler we pass the last param as an LPVOID instead of a
LPITEMIDLIST
private/windbg64/debugger/tl/remote/shell/windbgrm .c: // The user
fucked up
private/windows/media/avi/verinfo.16/verinfo.h: * !!!!!!!!!!!!!!DOING
SO FUCKS THE BUILD PROCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
private/windows/shell/control/midi/map.c: // !!!this is fucked if a
map goes to multiple physical devices

grep -ir " shit" windows_2000_source_code/*

private/inet/wininet/urlcache/conman.cxx:// BUGBUG - DON'T DO THIS
SHIT.
private/shell/ext/netplwiz/mnddlg.cpp: // this shit's read only
private/shell/win16/commctrl/ctl3d.c: // Some ugly shit goin' on
here!
private/windows/media/avi/avicap/capdib.c: // Holy shit, couldn't
change formats, time to punt!
private/windows/media/avi/avicap.16/capdib.c: // Holy shit, couldn't
private/windows/media/avi/avicap.io/capdib.c: // Holy shit, couldn't
private/windows/media/avi/msrle/rle.c: // lets do some majic shit so
the compiler generates "good" code.

:grin:
Posted on 2004-02-13 16:05:44 by Tola
:grin: :grin:
Posted on 2004-02-13 16:20:04 by arkane

looks like the code was taken from mainsoft who were porting windows apps to unix (or something).
the 200mb zip file that's floating around does not contain the complete code.
should still be interesting for some people.

the following is taken from /.

:grin:

From the code I take it that Bill is definitely not a bud of yours. :-)
Posted on 2004-02-13 16:29:14 by skywalker
Considering that the leaked source is around 627mb, this is pretty impressive... try grepping the 150meg (as of linux-2.4.21) linux source for swearwords... uh oh ;). Around 120 hits when doing

egrep -ir "( fuck)|( shit)|( ass )|( hate)" *

for some linux version... BSD had a lot less, iirc.

From the code I take it that Bill is definitely not a bud of yours. :-)

I wonder how much (or, rather, little) of the NT code billy boy actually did.
Posted on 2004-02-13 16:47:09 by f0dder