As you may or may not know, I am working on my update manager software. It is designed to allow developpers to create update scripts that are then downloaded an run on client machines. The update scripts will update your software on the machine automatically and download only those files necessary. The aim is to allow a more professional update option for your users and also (more importantly) to save bandwidth where that is a concern. For example, a 10 MB program generally only needs a couple of files updated each time requiring a few K of downloads, but you are paying for 10MB of bandwidth each time a user updates his/her software. Also some users may not check for newer versions consistently or at all, this will allow you to add a button or menu item to your program that will do it for them. The HTTPUpdater (client) utility is still in pre-alpha tests though it appears to be working fine, it is not included here but will be added very soon. This is the first Beta release of the Manager side and I need a few people to test it. It is fairly intuitive but if you need guidance...

1. you must first press select and choose a folder from which you will select files
2. add files to the update script by dragging them into the listview
3. change the update keys by double clicking on the key you want to change
4. save your project if you will be using the same file set frequently
5. build the project. This will write the scipt an dcompress the files. Be sure to build to a fresh folder
6. If you like you can upload the project to an FTP site

There are several options and everything is save to the registry under the key:

HKLU_CURRENT_USER\Software\Donkey\UpdateManager

This program will be free for any use and will be published with source code when it is tested and working properly.
Posted on 2004-02-13 13:16:15 by donkey
Hi
It works fine on XP pro, just one small bug, when I choose a folder and then clear if I try to choose a different folder it doesn't show the files, I have to restart the Program in order to se the files..

keep up the good work
Peace
Posted on 2004-02-13 14:10:58 by mistronr1
Greate idea, very useful :alright: :alright:
Posted on 2004-02-13 14:16:58 by Opcode

Hi
It works fine on XP pro, just one small bug, when I choose a folder and then clear if I try to choose a different folder it doesn't show the files, I have to restart the Program in order to se the files..

keep up the good work
Peace

Hi mistronr1,

Are you saying that no files appear in the treeview or the listview ? Inside the treeview you can add as many folders as you want, they can all be in the treeview at the same time. The only thing is that when they are added they will be relative to the first folder in the project. When you hit clear all of the files in both the treeview and listview are cleared if they have been saved. If you are not seeing files in the treeview when you select a folder then it is a bug.

PS you can also drag and drop folders into the treeview and folders or files into the listview. Folders dropped into the list view are recursed by default and all files are added.
Posted on 2004-02-13 15:12:12 by donkey
Donkey, sorry I don't have time to test it right now, but I have a question - is the patching done on a file level, or do you do "diff" compares of files too?
Posted on 2004-02-13 15:26:47 by f0dder
Hi f0dder,

That is a very good idea, no it does not do that right now. It checks the file information and downloads the zlib compressed file and updates it if necessary. The CRC of the file is stored in the script information anyway to verify the download integrity before an update, I could just as easily do an update by CRC difference as well, it is only a few lines of extra code. It is not something that I would have considered but it makes good sense.
Posted on 2004-02-13 15:31:58 by donkey
it's a bit hard doing it right, though... you'd need both diffs (and probably incremental diffs, or diff-to-latest-version-for-a-bunch-of-old-versions) plus full-files - and some way to determine whether to download full-file or diffs, depending on download size. Plus, doing diffs in a sensible way. It's worth the effort though :)
Posted on 2004-02-13 15:48:51 by f0dder
Mmmm,

Maybe I misunderstood. I don't know if I am capable of doing a decent autopatcher if that is what you're talking about. Where only a potion of a file is downloaded and patched into the existing file. It would be exceedingly difficult and with little gain as I don't think it is a feature many are likely to use. For just checking the CRC of the two files and updating if different I can do that rather easily as the information is resident and calculated already anyway. As a matter of fact it has already been added to my version of the manager and it is a simple task to add one more verification to the update utility. Maybe a download and execute option ? then each person can write their own patches and request downloads and info from the updater.
Posted on 2004-02-13 16:00:29 by donkey
Hi donkey
I am talking about the treeview, if I do restart the Program the files show normal in the treeview, but if I press clear & choose adiffrent folder I can only see the folders but no files..

Peace
Posted on 2004-02-14 07:50:11 by mistronr1

Hi donkey
I am talking about the treeview, if I do restart the Program the files show normal in the treeview, but if I press clear & choose adiffrent folder I can only see the folders but no files..

Peace

Hi mistronr1,

What OS version are you running, I do not have that problem on either Win2K or 98SE.
Posted on 2004-02-14 08:37:13 by donkey
Hi D
I am using win XP Version 5.1 build 2600.
Posted on 2004-02-14 09:30:08 by mistronr1