Hi All,
I've started a new page on Webster that provides information for those who want to write their own assembler. I've included the "Assembler Deveoper's Kit" (which consists of the current snapshot of the HLA v2.0 code along with documentation on the code), a copy of P. D. Terry's "Compilers and Compiler Generators" (with his permission), and other information on the subject of writing an assembler.

I welcome any submissions in the form of articles, code, etc., for inclusion on this page (any material pertinent for someone wishing to write an assembler, subject to the overall quality requirements you'll find on Webster, is welcome).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2004-02-13 13:59:02 by rhyde
Thank you. I idea of writting an assembler only I would use seems kinda attractive....

The biggest problem I have with even getting started on that assembler is this:

From you site:

A set of object-code generation modules (for different object code file formats)

It is one thing to put opcodes together into a program. It is another to put in a format that the computer or a linker can use.
FASM can make PE or OBJ. MASM makes OBJs. I'd target OBJs, becuase there are lots of good linkers out there.

I will be reading through this section on your site. Thanks again for sharing your work with us.
Posted on 2004-02-14 00:05:50 by ThoughtCriminal
I cant find the link to the said article on ur page.
Could you pls post the link here.
Posted on 2004-02-28 08:07:47 by clippy

I cant find the link to the said article on ur page.
Could you pls post the link here.

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AsmTools/RollYourOwn/index.html

Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2004-03-03 14:54:22 by rhyde