I have seen all kinds of messages but real short on anything substantial.

Has anyone actually seen any of the code. (As on someone's else's computer....Wink, Wink)

:-)
Posted on 2004-02-15 21:41:57 by skywalker
There are a few fakes floating around as well.
Posted on 2004-02-16 01:16:57 by ENF
what do u mean by 'fakes'?
Someone wrote a different 650 mb of code and distributed it????
Posted on 2004-02-16 05:10:52 by clippy
No I just mean files named as windows 2000 source.zip and similar placed on file sharing networks that aren't actually zip files.
Posted on 2004-02-16 05:29:28 by ENF

I have seen all kinds of messages but real short on anything substantial.

Has anyone actually seen any of the code. (As on someone's else's computer....Wink, Wink)

:-)

Thanks for the replies but...
I wuz looking for some kind of specific details as well.
Posted on 2004-02-16 06:26:40 by skywalker
Really don't believe their sourcecode can up to 40G ??
What the hell on earth the code was written ??
40G just form about 1G or less ( to W 2K3 ) program ?
And if we make a divide such as . 40G / 256 ( code line usually long about 256 character = 256 byte )
we will have :156,250,000 ( one hundred fifty six million two hundred fifty thousand code lines )
Unbelievable !!!
100,000,000 code lines for just windows ??? So how many codelines of Linux ? Or Solaris ??
Posted on 2004-02-16 07:17:57 by dreamweaver

You know. Imagine how many workarrounds and conditionals to get it working!
Posted on 2004-02-16 09:28:28 by pelaillo
I haven't seen it and I don't wish to see it either, it can be a liability barring me from things I want to do in the future (may be far-fetched but you never know :/ ).

Also, it's MS' code, if they wanted to show it to me they would've done so, so taking a sneak-peek is not a very nice thing to do... The older I get, the more I seem to comply with the rules of this world due to agreement :grin:
Posted on 2004-02-16 09:33:28 by Hiroshimator
Hiroshimator, I think that's called the "wisdom of ages"? :)
Posted on 2004-02-16 09:37:36 by Henk-Jan
dreamweaver, it's not really that amazing. My main product's source folder is 65MB (coded in asm). Well, this includes almost everything - .asm and .bmp and .lib , but hey it doesn't include the research files (a lot) and the 3D models and the unprocessed bitmaps. ...And my product is tiny, compared to windows.
I'm sure the MS coders write a lot of comments to all functions they write.
Posted on 2004-02-16 11:37:54 by Ultrano
I haven't seen it and I don't wish to see it either, it can be a liability barring me from things I want to do in the future (may be far-fetched but you never know :/ ).
Yes, i have seen a lot of news telling about that, but with SO MANY downloads taking place on P2P networks , how will the ms guys find out who eventually took a look and who didnt?

Also with the no of people downloading the stuff ,it seems if they ban them from developing for windows then i guess a major portion of development for windows will stop :grin: The developers will have to start developing for linux :grin:

As for taking a look, i like to stay on the legal side of things and havent seen it.
Posted on 2004-02-16 13:01:16 by clippy
lie detector? :P

maybe through whispering clippies :grin:
Posted on 2004-02-16 13:03:11 by Hiroshimator

Probably "source tree", not "source code" - this would include documentation, images, sounds and other resources, et cetera. Besides this might be the source tree for not just windows but a couple of other things - iexplore and IIS comes to mind (things that are distributed with windows).
Posted on 2004-02-16 13:28:16 by f0dder
I have NOT seen it and i will not dare look or download it unless Microsoft decides to release it legally...

I just want to be able to develop my own OSes without having legal problems... :grin:

This reminds me of a story:
A party of scientists on a top floor. Somebody rushes in and said: Hey there are some UFOs hovering on our building top, who wants to see them ? Nobody answered... So goes the proverbial curiosity and need for experimentation of the humman scientists... IF it would have been a book with Windows source THEY could NOT check it out either because of legal matters this time....

Also reminds me of an US scientist that was writting Memo's so highly secret that he could not read them (no clearance) after he wrote them...

This way humman race is improving every day as we speak...and our speed of evolution, level of constientization and knowledge of absolute truth is greater and greater every day... read my lips.
Posted on 2004-02-16 13:49:01 by BogdanOntanu
Hiro or any moderators,

Why not put up a poll for this?

I am sure the people who have seen the source wont explicitly come and post 'yes'. But watching the results on a poll, where noone knows who said what ,would be interesting :)
Posted on 2004-02-16 14:36:58 by clippy
There, it took some board trickery but it worked :)
Posted on 2004-02-16 15:42:51 by Hiroshimator
what about "Yes, and I wish I hadn't, since I'm a paranoid fuck"? ;-)
Posted on 2004-02-16 16:28:54 by f0dder

what about "Yes, and I wish I hadn't, since I'm a paranoid fuck"? ;-)

please also add "yes, but i only grep'd it for profanity", then :grin:
Posted on 2004-02-16 17:19:29 by Tola
Also why not add a:
- "NO, but i wish i was able to do so legally/freely"
Posted on 2004-02-16 17:23:40 by BogdanOntanu
A guy at the coffee shop said he looked over the code for windows NT and what is being distributed is very incomplete and not worth the trouble. I inquired about the age of the code, and he said there was nothing for windows 2000 in the distribution he looked at.
Posted on 2004-02-16 17:31:15 by bitRAKE