Hi all,

WinAsm Studio V3.0.0.3 is available from my site (http://winasm.code4u.net)

What's new:

1.Window-Close all: Close all MDI Children (Thanks Stoby)

2.When right-clicking in a dialog neither "Show/Hide Grid" nor "Snap To Grid" worked->Fixed (Thanks Marwin)

3.The cursor is changed to a cross when user is creating a new control (Thanks Manos)

4.Find dialog bug fixed.

5.ProjectType is exposed to the Add-Ins via CURRENTPROJECTINFO Structure.

6.File-Close Project (Thanks WinCC, Stoby)

7.When the ID of a control is changed it is not reflected in the Dialogs Tree (Thanks Jnrz)

8.A file can only be added once into a project.(Thanks N?cleo)

9.Better Dialogs/controls treeview behaviour (Thanks Manos)

10.Adding a new rc file caused a gpf if Add New Dialog was pressed if the rc file was in text mode (Thanks Mieuws)

11.Gray the buttons of RC Options when active mdi child window is not rc file (Thanks Marwin,Jnrz)

12.Bug when removing the RCEditor file from project fixed.

13.A new or existing RC file added to a project is initialized in Visual
mode if no other RC file is already in visual mode. Also Opening an external
RC file initilaizes in Visual mode if no other RC file is already in visual
mode (Thanks Mieuws).

14.Various improvements

Changes to the full package:
------------------------------------
-New Keywords file by N?cleo
-Many updates to the API files.
-Included more Add-In samples.
-Updated WAAddIn.inc file

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-02-17 04:59:57 by akyprian
Nice changes to the website :)
A couple of things though: there is a typo at the downloads page (it says "User Contributuions") :)
Also, on 1024x768 and lower resolutions, the buttons on top would look better if split in two rows.

I'll be testing the new version today. :alright:
Posted on 2004-02-17 13:30:09 by QvasiModo
akyprian,

Very nice work.

Is it possible that the WinAsm resource editor can be supported to read compiled resource files? (.res)
Posted on 2004-02-17 13:32:26 by Vortex
Nice work!

Is it possible that the resource editor can not only edit resource
script files (.rc) in visual mode but also edit it in the text editor??
(eg: in visual mode,add a popup menuitem named "Edit in text editor",and in the text editor,add popup menuitem named "Chang to visual mode")

My regards!
Posted on 2004-02-17 21:19:56 by Stoby
Hi all,

Qvasimodo:
Thanks, I 'll take care of them.

Vortex: Thanks very much for the good words. You can compile your res files from within Winasm Studio. If you mean the ability to edit them, it's much work. An Add-In could be developed if anyone wants to do it.

Stoby: Thanks very much for the good words. Yes your suggestion is already in the to do list. I will do it.

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-02-18 05:25:43 by akyprian
Hi again :)
Been testing the latest WinAsm Studio. I've made some annotations, here they are in no particular order:

- It would be great if addins could add menu items with icons too. :)

- Another suggestion: a WAM_GETVERSION message (a lot quicker than reading the VERSIONINFO resource on WinAsm.exe).

- Autocomplete pops up with local variable names, which is really useful. :) Could it be possible to do the same with the function's parameters?

- Double clicking on a file associated to WinAsm, and then trying to close it before the project or file finished loading, causes a GPF. You have to do it really quick to see it happen! :)

- Currently anything in the resource script that is not supported by WinAsm is silently stripped. This is very bad, specially when porting old projects rather than creating them. IMHO there should be a warning if something is going to be lost, both when loading or saving a script. It would also be useful to be able to turn the resource editor off, to edit scripts "by hand".

- Resources other than dialogs, accelerator and string tables must reside in external files to be supported. It would be useful to have WinAsm optionally save them to files rather than just stripping them when found.

- When creating a new project of type 0 (exe), the project properties are not set correctly. No build command line switches are given. This causes WinAsm not to assemble the project correctly. I didn't try creating projects of other types.

- Create a new project and try to build like before, but do not save the asm file. On closing WinAsm the asm file will be lost (no prompt to save it).

- Create a new project. Add a file named "Untitled1.asm". Now you have two files named like that in the project tree. The bug is solved by saving the project and opening it again. I agree, it's a mild problem :)

- Apparently, creating a new project and saving it with a different name, will delete the file "Untitled1.wap" if present in the current directory. I did not check this throughly.

- Source files can't be edited by external programs. If they are, WinAsm does not catch up on the modifications and will silently overwrite them with the old versions if you have "autosave before make" enabled. :(

- Sometimes clicking "save text to file", from the context menu at the output window, doesn't seem to work. Apparently it only happens when the build was unsuccessful.

- With the resource editor, create a new control. Change it's ID value, but NOT it's ID name (the default one). Now add another control of the same type, and delete it. Now save the resource file. Take a look at the #define statements, you'll see that when two or more controls have the same ID name, only the ID value of the last one is saved.

- There is no way to properly set the size of a combo box (the height cannot be changed). For that reason the popup list is never shown when clicking on the arrow at runtime. Take a look at PhoBos' "Build configuration manager" addin, it has that problem.

- There seems to be a client update problem with static controls, but I only saw it a couple of times and could not reproduce the bug. :( It could be related to changing the caption text and then resizing.

- I could not find a way to manually edit the IDs in a resource script. This could be useful for deleting unused IDs, or when the same ID is used in several dialog boxes and you want to change it's value. (It's a feature suggestion, not a bug :) ).

- I found no way to change the order in which controls are defined in the resource script. This alters the tab order. (Actually, most resource editors have this problem ;) ).

- The "styles" dialog box can be confusing... This is because some equates actually have the same values or are combinations of others. For example, CBS_DROPDOWNLIST = CBS_DROPDOWN + CBS_SIMPLE, and WS_TABSTOP = WS_MAXIMIZEBOX. A quick fix: when the user double clicks on a listview item, change the bitmask and update all the items (not just the one the user clicked on).

- Static text controls should support the SS_CENTERIMAGE style. It causes text to be centered vertically.

- In image controls (static, button, etc.) you can use the ID of a bitmap or icon resource instead of the caption text. This allows to set a default picture for the control, which is loaded automatically by the system when creating the dialog box. It would be great if WinAsm supported that (currently it encloses the ID with quotes, as if it was text).

- LVS_TYPEMASK is not a style! :grin:

- Signed ID values are currently not supported. However they are useful, for example -1 is often used for static controls.

- Shouldn't IDC_DLG be IDD_DLG? :grin:

- Another suggestion: maybe the WS_CLIPSIBLINGS and WS_CLIPCHILDREN styles should not be set by default (at least I hardly ever use them). They don't look good when overlapping controls (like group boxes), and according to WIN32.HLP, they slightly degrade performance. Besides, WS_CLIPSIBLINGS is usually for controls and WS_CLIPCHILDREN for dialogs (except for controls that have child windows of their own, then WS_CLIPCHILDREN would make sense).

- Controls don't seem to have the same style bits when created than in the resource script. But I think it's actually a normal behaviour of Windows, or at least the resource compiler. (Doesn't have much to do with WinAsm, but I wondered :) ).
Posted on 2004-02-20 11:34:11 by QvasiModo
Hi QvasiModo,

1.It would be great if addins could add menu items with icons too. :)

No comments!

2.Another suggestion: a WAM_GETVERSION message (a lot quicker than reading the VERSIONINFO resource on WinAsm.exe).

What about using the features parameter of the WAAddInLoad procedure?

- Autocomplete pops up with local variable names, which is really useful. :) Could it be possible to do the same with the function's parameters?

It actually does very well. It's your programming style's fault :grin: At least the first parameter's type must be defined with ':' (you usually use align instead if I am not mistaken). I'll see if anything can be done.

- Double clicking on a file associated to WinAsm, and then trying to close it before the project or file finished loading, causes a GPF. You have to do it really quick to see it happen! :)

So you did it on purpose! I didn't manage to reproduce it. I 'll check the code though.

- Currently anything in the resource script that is not supported by WinAsm is silently stripped. This is very bad, specially when porting old projects rather than creating them. IMHO there should be a warning if something is going to be lost, both when loading or saving a script. It would also be useful to be able to turn the resource editor off, to edit scripts "by hand".

OK.

- Resources other than dialogs, accelerator and string tables must reside in external files to be supported. It would be useful to have WinAsm optionally save them to files rather than just stripping them when found.

You are not fair here but I got you mean.

- When creating a new project of type 0 (exe), the project properties are not set correctly. No build command line switches are given. This causes WinAsm not to assemble the project correctly. I didn't try creating projects of other types.

This is what really upset me. This thing has been OK from the very first release of WinAsm. A new feature of the last release introduced this silly but serious bug. Thanks

1.Create a new project and try to build like before, but do not save the asm file. On closing WinAsm the asm file will be lost (no prompt to save it).

2.Create a new project. Add a file named "Untitled1.asm". Now you have two files named like that in the project tree. The bug is solved by saving the project and opening it again. I agree, it's a mild problem :)

3.Apparently, creating a new project and saving it with a different name, will delete the file "Untitled1.wap" if present in the current directory. I did not check this throughly.

4.Source files can't be edited by external programs. If they are, WinAsm does not catch up on the modifications and will silently overwrite them with the old versions if you have "autosave before make" enabled. :(

5.Sometimes clicking "save text to file", from the context menu at the output window, doesn't seem to work. Apparently it only happens when the build was unsuccessful.

6.With the resource editor, create a new control. Change it's ID value, but NOT it's ID name (the default one). Now add another control of the same type, and delete it. Now save the resource file. Take a look at the #define statements, you'll see that when two or more controls have the same ID name, only the ID value of the last one is saved.

7.There is no way to properly set the size of a combo box (the height cannot be changed). For that reason the popup list is never shown when clicking on the arrow at runtime. Take a look at PhoBos' "Build configuration manager" addin, it has that problem.

8.There seems to be a client update problem with static controls, but I only saw it a couple of times and could not reproduce the bug. :( It could be related to changing the caption text and then resizing.

9.I could not find a way to manually edit the IDs in a resource script. This could be useful for deleting unused IDs, or when the same ID is used in several dialog boxes and you want to change it's value. (It's a feature suggestion, not a bug :) ).

10.I found no way to change the order in which controls are defined in the resource script. This alters the tab order. (Actually, most resource editors have this problem ;) ).

11.The "styles" dialog box can be confusing... This is because some equates actually have the same values or are combinations of others. For example, CBS_DROPDOWNLIST = CBS_DROPDOWN + CBS_SIMPLE, and WS_TABSTOP = WS_MAXIMIZEBOX. A quick fix: when the user double clicks on a listview item, change the bitmask and update all the items (not just the one the user clicked on).

12.Static text controls should support the SS_CENTERIMAGE style. It causes text to be centered vertically.

13.In image controls (static, button, etc.) you can use the ID of a bitmap or icon resource instead of the caption text. This allows to set a default picture for the control, which is loaded automatically by the system when creating the dialog box. It would be great if WinAsm supported that (currently it encloses the ID with quotes, as if it was text).

14.LVS_TYPEMASK is not a style! :grin:

15.Signed ID values are currently not supported. However they are useful, for example -1 is often used for static controls.

16.Shouldn't IDC_DLG be IDD_DLG? :grin:

17.Another suggestion: maybe the WS_CLIPSIBLINGS and WS_CLIPCHILDREN styles should not be set by default (at least I hardly ever use them). They don't look good when overlapping controls (like group boxes), and according to WIN32.HLP, they slightly degrade performance. Besides, WS_CLIPSIBLINGS is usually for controls and WS_CLIPCHILDREN for dialogs (except for controls that have child windows of their own, then WS_CLIPCHILDREN would make sense).

18.Controls don't seem to have the same style bits when created than in the resource script. But I think it's actually a normal behaviour of Windows, or at least the resource compiler. (Doesn't have much to do with WinAsm, but I wondered :) ).

1-6. I 'll check these
7.Yes there is :grin: from the proprties list. I know what you mean though. I 'll change this
8,9 Ok
10. Send to back, Bring to front
11,12,13 Ok
14. Definately not!
15.Ok
16.Yes!
17.I agree for the WS_CLIPCHILDREN
18.This is normal. If you want to prevent it you use NOT style in the script.

Thanks!

akyprian
Posted on 2004-02-20 16:53:50 by akyprian
Thanks for paying attention to my nagging! :)

What about using the features parameter of the WAAddInLoad procedure?

Er... because I didn't think of it :o
It actually does very well. It's your programming style's fault At least the first parameter's type must be defined with ':' (you usually use align instead if I am not mistaken). I'll see if anything can be done.

Ok, I'll fix my procs for now :)
So you did it on purpose! I didn't manage to reproduce it. I 'll check the code though.

Yeah, I'm evil :tongue:
No, actually I found that when double clicking on a wap file by accident, and immediatly trying to close it.
You are not fair here but I got you mean.

Like I said, I'm evil ;)
I know, it's easier for me to change my scripts than for you to support this. I'll be happy if you add it to your "to do" list :)
This is what really upset me. This thing has been OK from the very first release of WinAsm. A new feature of the last release introduced this silly but serious bug. Thanks

If it helps, I'm sure that all versions up to 3.0.0.2 (included) didn't have this problem.
Yes there is :grin: from the proprties list. I know what you mean though. I 'll change this

Right, I see that now, thanks :)
It would be nicer to be able to do it visually though. On VC you click on the arrow to show or hide the dropdown list, so it doesn't cover the other controls all the time.
This is normal. If you want to prevent it you use NOT style in the script.

Ok, I have two questions now:
1) Is this the default behavior for ALL resource compilers?
2) If so, is there any chance that WA will automatically NOT the unwanted styles? And if it's not the same for all compilers, at least some "NOT style" field somewhere?

WinAsm is just getting better and better. I'm looking forward the next version! :alright:
Posted on 2004-02-21 17:33:11 by QvasiModo
Before I forget:

- Cosmetic issue: the "Save" toolbar button is not properly enabled or disabled for the resource script.

- Another cosmetic issue: combo boxes don't look good with a vertical scrollbar enabled. I've attached a picture.

- This could be confusing for newbies: if you enter a double quotes character in a control's caption (ASCII 34), it breaks the resource script. Perhaps some characters should be escaped with a backslash (like in C). I had found this for 3.0.0.2, and forgot to check if it's still there.

- Problem with external resource filenames. Say you have defined an icon like this:
IDI_ICON1 ICON DISCARDABLE "Res[b]\n[/b]ame1.ico"

The \n is parsed as a newline character by the resource compiler. There are two possible fixes:
IDI_ICON1 ICON DISCARDABLE "Res[b]/[/b]name1.ico"

IDI_ICON1 ICON DISCARDABLE "Res[b]\\[/b]name1.ico"

I also have question: shouldn't comment lines in resource scripts begin with // like in C? However it seems to work just fine with ; like in asm... :confused:

One more thing: I was wrong about using icon IDs as a caption. It only seems to work for static controls, not buttons.
Posted on 2004-02-21 18:34:02 by QvasiModo

1.Cosmetic issue: the "Save" toolbar button is not properly enabled or disabled for the resource script.

2.Another cosmetic issue: combo boxes don't look good with a vertical scrollbar enabled. I've attached a picture.

3.This could be confusing for newbies: if you enter a double quotes character in a control's caption (ASCII 34), it breaks the resource script. Perhaps some characters should be escaped with a backslash (like in C). I had found this for 3.0.0.2, and forgot to check if it's still there.

4.Problem with external resource filenames. Say you have defined an icon like this:
IDI_ICON1 ICON DISCARDABLE "Res[b]\n[/b]ame1.ico"

The \n is parsed as a newline character by the resource compiler. There are two possible fixes:
IDI_ICON1 ICON DISCARDABLE "Res[b]/[/b]name1.ico"

IDI_ICON1 ICON DISCARDABLE "Res[b]\[/b]name1.ico"

5.I also have question: shouldn't comment lines in resource scripts begin with // like in C? However it seems to work just fine with ; like in asm... :confused:

6.One more thing: I was wrong about using icon IDs as a caption. It only seems to work for static controls, not buttons.

Hi,

1.It is not supposed to! (by design)
2,3&4.I 'll check these,thanks
5.It does work!
6.YES

I really want to thank you for the extensive testing,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-02-23 09:23:51 by akyprian
No problem, I'm just taking note on thing I find while working with it, since it's becoming my main IDE now. Keep up the good work! :)
Posted on 2004-02-23 12:22:53 by QvasiModo