I decided to post this in case anybody else has/had the same issue. I seem to remember someone posting a thread recently about how bad Partition Magic is too, but I've never had any issues with it (except for stupid mistakes that were my fault).

Anyways, for some reason I deleted a couple of linux partitions from Windows using Partition Magic. Then I rebooted, saw the grub command line, and said oops.

Long story short, I finally stumbled on the correct commands to boot into my Win2k partition, and thought I'd share them:

root (hd0,0)
rootnoverify
makeactive
chainloader + 1
boot

cheers,
will
Posted on 2004-02-17 13:08:33 by Will
Ooops :) - does grub rely on data on a partition in the boot stage? O_o - glad I still use lilo on non-windows or mixed boxes.
Posted on 2004-02-17 13:20:05 by f0dder
I don't know much about grub or linux for that matter. I keep installing it every 6 months or so in hopes of finding the time to play with it more, but I never seem to find the time. That's probably why I decided to delete the main and the swap partitions.

The usual boot manager graphical screen (red hat 8 I think) that I used to see read it's entries from a text-based file I think. But the command line grub boot manager must reside somewhere other than the 2 linux partitions that I deleted. I wish I had more technical information to share, but I don't have a real firm grasp on it all.
Posted on 2004-02-17 15:00:36 by Will
Well, I just might want to add that it is a bad bad bad idea to:

Rename harddisks (label it from C: to D:) on XP using Partitionmagic..
After I installed a new HD my C Drive was named D for some unknown reason.. (Windows booting up fine)
After I renamed C to D and D to C Windows booted into a nice bue screen showing a mouse.. and that was it..

Had to repair it using a new install and deleted 1.4 GB of Metallica mp3's by accident just because the new install created a new /mydocuments/jimmyclif/ folders.. next to the existing one

Still hurts..

btw: PartitionMagic warns about having problems renaming HD like that.. but who reads documentation nowadays?
Posted on 2004-02-17 15:08:23 by JimmyClif
There's an included utility (Drive Mapper or something like that) that corrects references to the old drive letter with the new one after you change a drive letter. I've only used it a couple of times but it worked like a charm for me.
Posted on 2004-02-18 09:46:18 by Will