I am curently evaluating a VMWare Workstation for help in developing SolOS and i have a question:

-How am i going to copy some files from my C:\ physical drive to the virtual HDD presented to SolOS?
-Is there a way to setup the video board used by vmware?

Thanks
Posted on 2004-02-22 03:55:22 by BogdanOntanu
-How am i going to copy some files from my C:\ physical drive to the virtual HDD presented to SolOS?

I think the vmware harddisk format is pretty proprietary. One way to do it is have a windows vmware installation, add the disk file to that installation as well. Then copy the files from that installation (you can access your own PC via the network). That's pretty tedious but I haven't seen other ways yet.

An alternative is using the virtual floppy disk, because those use a raw disk image. Using mtools (a windows version is around somewhere), you can manipulate the floppy disk image (copying files, removing files, etc..). Then just read the files back into your SolOS from the floppy. Btw, luckily it's possible to manipulate the floppy image while the machine is running. Easiest way is probably some batch/shell script files to automate the copying from a standard folder or something.

-Is there a way to setup the video board used by vmware?

I don't think so but I'm not sure either..

Thomas
Posted on 2004-02-22 04:04:48 by Thomas
BogdanOntanu:

Have you tried the "Shared Folders" option ?
Posted on 2004-02-22 04:28:17 by WinCC
Yes ,

I did setup a shared folder but i do not understand how am i supposed to view it in SolOS ?

In SolOS i can NOT copy files yet...all i can do is explore a Fat32 HDD partition ..
i guess i will have to improve this first
Posted on 2004-02-22 05:21:10 by BogdanOntanu
hello BogdanOntanu
I curious about the name of your OS, "SolOS"
Sol in Spanish means "Sun"
? is that the reason why you called it "SolOS" ?
Posted on 2004-02-22 08:18:11 by Jnrz
Somehow

My company names have always been SOLAR + "something"

ie:
SOLAR Electronic srl
SOLAR SOftware srl
and lately
SolarSoft srl

And YES... in Romanian like in Spanish SOLAR/SOL means something that belongs to the SUN / the SUN itself

I did hesitated and changed the name from SOLAR OS since it will be too much like SUN OS or SOLARIS that are copyrighted/owned by SUN Microsystems and i do not want to infringe their copyright/trademarks/whatever

But my own company name is SOLAR :grin: and i like it ...so what can i do?
Posted on 2004-02-22 08:31:43 by BogdanOntanu
BogdanOntanu

I do it by chosing to add a new disk to the virtual machine and then adding a partition where I have placed files that I want to share between host and virtual system. You should have a seperate FAT32 partiton to the one where windows is located because I think it might not be safe to have the virtual operating sytem access the windows parition at the same time.

I can't get the shared folders to work either.
Posted on 2004-02-22 10:13:48 by ENF
Posted on 2004-02-22 10:33:26 by GogetaSSJ4
My best guess is to use something like WinImage to read linear files or find some program that mounts files as drives.
Posted on 2004-02-22 16:33:30 by SpooK
floppy image like Thomas says, or a FAT partition mapped read-only.
Posted on 2004-02-22 17:15:14 by f0dder