I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but I thought I'd give a heads up anyway.

I just finished working on my bootsector and it may be of use to someone out there.

Basically, its your standard bootsector (for 1.44MB floppy disk) except that unlike most of the examples I have seen, it should (does on my system anyway) load your 32-bit PM kernel into the 1MB (or higher if you want to edit it) physical memory area.

Its reasonably well documented I hope, but feel free to ask any questions or make comments on it.

You can grab the source - here
You will need this file to compile - GDT.inc
Posted on 2004-02-25 12:01:10 by Sentient
Well done!

it is surely well commented and organized...

I just love the MSwin4.1 signature in the BiosPB. :grin:

Honestly there are many boot examples out there ;) and many of them do load FAT12/16/32 files to a specified address, some even load aout/ELF/COFF or PE files including relocations :P

I prefer the spartan raw loading myself but indeed this can be a good example for beginners.

Well there is still a LONG way to go from a boot sector up to a full OS with GUI ... :grin:

I do not think i did any changes to the boot sector loader of my OS in ages/years but the other components are updated daily.(not necesarely on site)

BTW... Thank you for the ATA asm source codes you have sent me some time ago ;)
(if you are the one that is)
Posted on 2004-02-25 12:23:34 by BogdanOntanu
Surely is me :)

I went back and started over on my coding as having the kernel image in the <1MB was bugging me :)

Now that I have figured this out little annoyance I can get back to the real coding ... OS stuff

Not sure if you got my message from your board, but I have new ATA drivers with DMA transfers... just need to work out a timing function for the delays. Will be my next task before I get too involved in my OS code.
Posted on 2004-02-25 12:49:41 by Sentient
Hi Sentient,

Can you repost your boot sector -> kernel? The link is broken.. Thanks anyway.

Regards,
Victor
Posted on 2004-05-31 10:36:22 by roticv