Can anyone point me to a program to copy a single file from a defective hard drive? I am trying to repair a computer, by duplicating the hard drive. But the surface defects prevent booting up, and prevent copying especially of system.dat and user.dat. I'm looking for a program that will copy those two files (command prompt if necessary) and ignore any errors in the files. This way I hope to back up at least part of the existing registry. The original OS was Win98 and I am not seeing any duplicates system.da0, user.da0...

xcopy and copy are not working since both files are hidden and OS has write protected the drive to prevent further damage.

Thanks.
Posted on 2004-02-26 21:45:39 by V Coder
First add a secondary drive to the system so you have a place of destination since i doubt that OS registry will fit into a single bootable floppy...

Any available good HDD will do... I guess even an 100M or 500M old one

If you do not have one you should be able to find one at a seccond hand auction (just be sure is not very very old... i.e. is at least IDE :tongue:

After you have installed/added this new HDD as secondary master device:
Then boot from a floppy or CD with a command line version of Win9x and xcopy/copy the files to the new HDD.
Posted on 2004-02-27 03:21:05 by BogdanOntanu