Hello coders,

Where I can find sources or articles about
'How to write installer and uninstaller'?
Thanks.
Posted on 2001-11-05 10:13:57 by corriolio
There's a setup sdk for regular installation utilities, and then there's the new and improved Windows Installer sdk for the same thing, but much more rich in functionality, it doesn't require a lot of rewriting the wheel kind of things.

In either case, it's not an easy thing to create an installer for either of the sdk's. I saw the source code to a very simple installation utility that worked wonderfully with few features and functionality, just package and go... was about 20,000 lines of code. Likewise, for Windows Installer technology, a much more featuresome installer would be half that, as the whole toolkit is already written and apart of Windows 2000+ and can be installed onto any other platform easily...

The sdk's are freely available online or with the platform SDK...

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2001-11-05 12:44:01 by _Shawn
Get Inno Setup
I think www.innosetup.com.

I use it and so do many others , its free , easy to use and been improved many times and is still worked on. Probably one of the best home written projects I ever saw in terms of the amount of effort. Why its free beats me!

Also get hold of ISTool by another author for a graphical interface , very cool.

Bye.
Posted on 2001-11-07 02:58:47 by trancera