First thing I would like to say is that the WinAsm IDE is Awesome. Masm32 will be my first windows programming language, I've coded on Linux/BSD with C and Nasm, but I think I'm really getting the hang of this. I'm on my 4th day of coding and I've already got the basics of network programming down.

What I was wondering is if anyone knows of a really good Resource editor? I've tried using the RS32 that came with WinAsm, but for some reason it kept prompting for missing dll's and I figured it would be less trouble to find another than continue searching for the dll's.

Currently, I've resourted to using "Resource Hacker" but its not something I want to stick with for very long. I would like to know of one that gives you more of a Visual feedback. Such an example of how I plan to use one would be for creating a basic controls and using the feedback from the resource editor to preform the same tasks by hand. This would be a great help for me because my biggest problem is definately going to be the Windows API since I've NEVER coded on windows and its COMPLETELY new to me. But I'm sure I'll get through it.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Posted on 2004-03-12 20:35:05 by Synfire
Hi Synfire and welcome,

Thanks for your very good words.

What version of WinAsm are you using? WinAsm Studio V3.0.0.0 or greater does have a built-in visual resource editor and you don't need any other third party one.

From what you are saying, I understand that you mixed things up: A visual resource editor (such as rs32, visual studio resource editor, the WinAsm Studio built-in resource editor etc etc) do NOT produce assembly code. They produce scripts that are compiled by resource compilers (you can create some dialogs and switch to non-visual mode of WinAsm Studio to see the generated script). I understand that you want a utility to tranform the resource scripts to assembly code (so that you learn from it) which is completely different. Search for such a utility and most probably you will find something that suits your needs.

Please let me know if all this helps.

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-03-13 05:37:10 by akyprian
Currently I'm using WinAsm v2.0.0.2.

Thank you for clearing things up, and I will check out the new version.:grin:
Last night after posting I got a copy of the Win32 API reference help file and I relalized my misinterpretation. Despite my confusion, I will check out version 3 of
WinAsm and see if the resource editor works with that one.

BTW, version 3 still lets you incorperate OllyDBG with it.. right? I used to use softice
or debug.com for my debugging but MAN I love Olly now :grin:

Thank you for replying.
Posted on 2004-03-13 12:39:21 by Synfire
Hi,

...Despite my confusion, I will check out version 3 of
WinAsm and see if the resource editor works with that one.

Let me clarify this once again: The resource editor is built-in. YOU DONT NEED ANY EXTERNAL RESOURCE EDITOR such has RS32 etc

BTW, version 3 still lets you incorperate OllyDBG with it.. right? I used to use softice
or debug.com for my debugging but MAN I love Olly now :grin:

You can set ANY debugger you like-not only OllyDBG-from Tools-Options-Miscellaneous-External Debugger.

I hope things are even more clear now,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-03-14 00:27:27 by akyprian
RadASM has a good resource editor and many other nifty features. That's actually the editor I use pretty much Exclusively, it was also the first one to include a visual resource editor. Its in very active development as well.

http://www.visualassembler.com

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-03-15 10:05:58 by _Shawn
Hi _Shawn,

I am not sure whether RadASM was the first one that included a visual resource editor (I think it is not), but this is not the point. The point is that WinAsm studio has a built in visual resource editor that reads RC files whereas, If I am not mistaken, RadASM recognizes certain non-standard file formats (eg *.dlg etc ) that translates them to individual rc files. Forgive me if I am wrong, I never used it for real work. I respect RadAsm and its author but I don't agree with this at all. It is a matter of taste. If I have an RC file, how do I utilize it visually from within my IDE especially If I am a newcomer? Why should I have more files other than a single rc file on my storage media?

By these means, WinAsm Studio can also be used as a standard resource editor for any other needs.

I may be wrong, but this is my opinion.

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-03-15 10:36:36 by akyprian
Hi Akyprian

At the moment I'm experimenting with the Iczelion tutes, tute31 works fine, but has an error message when loading the .rc file:

Line 3 of ..........listview.rc is not compatibe with WinAsm Studio. (BTW a typo in the word "compatible" could be corrected with the next release)

Some of the other .rc samples (tute24) have a similar problem, I'm not sure if it is because my environment or not. Please could you help me? I work with WinAsm Studio 3.0.0.6 (Win89SE)

Thanks in advance
Posted on 2004-03-15 11:55:09 by Gary McAvoy
Hi,

Thanks for your good words.

Attached is the working rc file for tut31. Note that #define statements compatible with WinAsm Studio must have this form:

#define NAME NUMBER

In tut24, it's my fault. I'll fix it. In the meantime, replace 1 in #define IDC_STATIC -1 with a positive number.

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-03-15 14:54:02 by akyprian
Thank You Antonis for your quick help, I made all changes and now it works perfect!
Posted on 2004-03-15 16:16:01 by Gary McAvoy