I'm having problem to cross-compile the linux kernel for the sh4 (Hitachi) in an amd64 linux machine, using the debian package its always failed. I've never do a cross-compiling bfore. The problem is, compiling the linux kernel on the sh4 takes about 10 hours, while I got 10 machine using sh4. does anyone can give me a pointer ? sorry, may be this is abiit silly question :stupid:
Posted on 2004-03-25 09:12:43 by Pinczakko
sh4... is that the CPU of the PS2?

Sorry that I probably can't be of much help... anyway. The first step would of course be setting up the kernel makefile configuration for SH4 (I guess it's supported?) - 'make menuconfig' will probably do.

The next thing, which might be a big hurdle - the default installs of GCC probably don't include SH4 support. So you'll need to get a version with support for this CPU... which would probably include downloading the GCC source tree, and cross-compiling it to SH4.

I've never done this myself, and GCC is a big package, so it might be a bit icky. I did manage, however, to build a version of binutils with WIN32/PE support back in the DJGPP dos-extended times... but it took some fiddling around.
Posted on 2004-03-25 10:53:20 by f0dder
I'm not so sure if that's the one used in PS2. I've tried what you've said, but it always failed when I recompile the GCC. Thx anyway :D
Posted on 2004-03-25 11:07:55 by Pinczakko
Ah, DreamCast, not PS2 :).

What fails when you try to recompile GCC?
Posted on 2004-03-25 11:12:05 by f0dder
I've forgotten to dump it. It's in my college. I'm at home right now :grin: . I'm using GCC 3.3 , perhaps this release still have bugs with sh4 architecture. At first too much warning come out, then suddenly in crashed. Three times trying it, it stops in different places as I can remember. I'm compiling it on an x86 machine. :sweat:
Posted on 2004-03-25 11:24:49 by Pinczakko