well, i have to do a big decision.
i wanted to start a diploma-project at my school. it should be a simple OS (huh?!) with multitasking, gui and other nice stuff - an os for IA32. as my teacher said, there's no killer-application for that since there are already two unbeatable OSes.
his idea was to write a portable OS, which can easily ported to another architecture - i don't know any similar to IA32. the important point is, that i'd like to know several architectures which provide paging, interrupts (exception handling). what's more important, is that i also like to know if you have had experience with these systems.

greets, hartyl
Posted on 2004-03-31 12:34:45 by hartyl
two unbeatable OSes

Do the imposoble. ;)

Have good look (By the way, I dont think that the look come in a ordered random fashion, are you that create it).

Have a nice day or night.
Posted on 2004-04-01 07:31:22 by rea
I'm afraid I don't know a great deal, but at the moment I'm taking a third year OS course.

We're modifying a kernel called OS/161, which runs on a virtual machine Sys/161. The OS was developed by Harvard for, of course, educational purposes (it is very well documented). The VM emulates MIPS R2000/3000. You should be able to find out what you need to compile the thing to run on the VM, though we only run sys/161 on Linux (nobody's made it work on cygwin). Unfortunately I'm not terribly familiar with that architecture.

For a while I thought about trying my hand at an OS, but I've abandoned the thought for now. I'm thinking of writing some math soft. with a few friends. Maybe when I know more I'll take a crack at an OS :)

As for doing "other nice stuff", you might try your hand at a different kind of FS. (See the FS thread bitrake started). I think there's a lot of work to be done with file systems.
Posted on 2004-10-17 05:10:34 by Miko