Online music swapping legal: court
TORONTO - Individuals who share personal copies of music files on the internet are safe after a Federal Court rejected a motion on Wednesday that would have allowed the music industry to sue them.

Justice Konrad von Finckenstein said the Canadian Recording Industry Association hadn't shown copyright infringement by 29 people who had allowed their music files to be uploaded.

Making files available in online, shared directories is within the bounds of Canadian copyright law, von Finckenstein ruled.
I cannot see a real difference between a library that places a photocopy machine in a room full of copyrighted material and a computer user that places a personal copy on a shared directory linked to a P2P service
"No evidence was presented that the alleged infringers either distributed or authorized the reproduction of sound recordings," von Finckenstein wrote in his 28-page ruling. "They merely placed personal copies into their shared directories which were accessible by other computer users via a P2P service."

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1080754657038_76163857///?hub=TopStories
Posted on 2004-03-31 21:56:15 by donkey
Hrm, 04/01 today...
Posted on 2004-04-01 03:30:28 by f0dder
I cannot see a real difference between a library that places a photocopy machine in a room full of copyrighted material and a computer user that places a personal copy on a shared directory linked to a P2P service

This sound a impresive statement.

I have a lot of question, I will raise only one.

Maybe I have a mistake in understand this but, if I remember correctly the copyrights and suchs things have normally a line that say (some like):

Is proivited the parcial or total copy in any way. (such with more words... dunno).

I question, ok ok, good not any parcial or total reproduction?, then, they (for me) are saying you that you can buy it, but can't listen or read, because, when you are reading, listening, learning, watching, you are making a reproduction of the source in your mind... of(or) not, how you can make it present to your mind?

For me that type of statement are ridiculous :D, because they have no sense... they only think in money when they dont know how to redact a line (that is my point of view).

What you think ;)

Have a nice day or night.

PD. I edited a little my post, I see that i miss some " 'n " and I put "of" instead of "or".
Posted on 2004-04-01 07:24:31 by rea

Hrm, 04/01 today...

Hey f0dder,

No, it's real.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/03/31/canada/download_court040331

Originally posted by hgb
For me that type of statement are ridiculous :D, because they have no sense... they only think in money when they dont know how to redact a line (that is my point of view).

Hi hgb,

This isn't a question of copyright or money, it is a question to my right to privacy. They should have no right to demand my name from my isp.
Posted on 2004-04-01 08:15:10 by donkey
Yes, they dont have the right for demand that.

I extrapolate a little saying that they only whant money ;), but the point is that I not consider well exactly that line, that I almost find in all the contracts... ;). Maybe for express this things, will be necesary put another thread, analising a little this things :D, for not perturb the point of privacy and right to share :D ( You are not making money with this).

Posted on 2004-04-01 08:37:27 by rea
Hey, those guys are safe, thats good, good news since I'm situated in Toronto but they have so many songs. Well I don't really care, I don't have 3000 songs on my PC :O, man honestly who listens to that much music.
Posted on 2004-04-01 15:14:21 by x86asm
I have never understood the RIAA since this lawsuit circus has started. They should even pay us to listen to todays music. Heck, anyone who buys a CD, should be payed twice/thrice the cost of the CD because of the crap music that goes along with it. :grin: :grin:
Posted on 2004-04-01 19:42:10 by arkane

I have never understood the RIAA since this lawsuit circus has started. They should even pay us to listen to todays music. Heck, anyone who buys a CD, should be payed twice/thrice the cost of the CD because of the crap music that goes along with it. :grin: :grin:

You have a good point.
Posted on 2004-04-03 13:04:34 by x86asm