Hi, all :)

This addin loads itself on Windows startup, and installs a tray icon. Double clicking on it opens WinAsm Studio. Additionally, you can set it to preload part of WinAsm so it will run faster. I find it useful since I have all assembly filetypes associated to WinAsm.

I was also thinking of adding some features in next versions, like preserving filetypes, or periodic checking for updates. What do you think?
Posted on 2004-04-01 17:14:44 by QvasiModo
Hi QvasiModo

Thanks for this nice addin and the source !!
Works like a charm here (xp pro) :allright:
Posted on 2004-04-02 00:52:58 by PhoBos
Very nice and useful Add-In indeed.
Please go on with your ideas too.

Thanks,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-04-02 07:19:58 by akyprian
Whoa, you even made the thread sticky, thanks! :alright:

Here's the new version. It's still a BETA fresh from the oven, and I really need some people to test it since:

1. I don't have an Internet connection at home, so I can't test the updates checking feature.

2. I don't have XP, 2K or NT to test how it works with limited priviledges (some checkboxes should be disabled if you can't use or haven't yet configured a feature).

3. Even if I did have all those thing, I hardly have the time... :(

I've included the latest Agent (1.10) and Shell Integration (1.03). The latter is needed if you want to preserve the filetypes.

This are the new features, in no particular order:

- You can check for updates of WinAsm or it's addins. It actually uses the last modified date of the WinAsm site pages (can change if someone suggests a better way). This can be done manually or scheduled.
- File types preserving. You need Shell Integration 1.03 for this to work.
- Improved pre-loading. Now it will "touch" the loaded files to ensure they remain in cache. The timer is configurable, and can be disabled.
- Faster restart of the Agent when changing the settings.
- Now you can also setup the Agent from the tray icon context menu.
Posted on 2004-04-06 18:27:39 by QvasiModo
Really nice improvements

You can check for updates of WinAsm or it's addins. It actually uses the last modified date of the WinAsm site pages (can change if someone suggests a better way). This can be done manually or scheduled.

May be you should consider let the user have a filenames list that he/she wishes for check. Usually any new version comes with a different filename.

- Now you can also setup the Agent from the tray icon context menu.

I was about to suggest this. Thanks,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-04-08 01:11:42 by akyprian
New beta. I've checked some things (like the scheduler, it seems to be working fine). Also corrected a nasty GPF when enabling and disabling winasm.exe preload.

I had to rewrite the code to preserve the filetypes, it wasn't working at all. :( Still needs some testing.

I still haven't checked the updates routine itself, hopefully I'll try it from the Univ this monday.

May be you should consider let the user have a filenames list that he/she wishes for check. Usually any new version comes with a different filename.

It's a good idea, but it requires the user to go changing the list all the time, and know the filenames beforehand. I thought of using the website, so when it's updated the addin will launch an Explorer window to browse it. That way it's easier to deal with than a list of filenames that might change from version to version.

I'd like to directly download the updated ZIP files, I just don't know how the user would know the correct filename... Perhaps you could put all downloads in the same folder, with read access. That way the addin could just list all .zip files in the folder, and warn the user when a file was added or updated. What do you think?
Posted on 2004-04-10 09:43:54 by QvasiModo
Hi,

very nice. You can assume everything is in the "files" directory.

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-04-12 14:05:51 by akyprian

You can assume everything is in the "files" directory.

Ok, next version will scan http://winasm.code4u.com/files :)
I need you first to allow access to it though.

BTW, I'm getting two erratic bugs I can't get rid of:

1. Sometimes the Agent won't load on Windows statup even if it's set to do so.
2. Sometimes, when changing a setting from the "pre-load" panel while the Agent is running will cause a GPF on exit.

Could anybody please tell me if this is also happening in other systems? (Win98SE here)
Posted on 2004-04-12 14:29:38 by QvasiModo
Posted on 2004-04-13 14:31:10 by NetStaVi
Hi NetStaVi,

what we are discussing here is the ability of the Add-In to check in this directory all filenames and see if any new file has been added. If so, then the user will be prompted to decide whether he/she wants to download it.

I hope it is clearer now,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-04-14 00:42:54 by akyprian
Latest betas. Hopefully all bugs have been erradicated :grin: and all I have left now is the routines for software upgrade. Please let me know how it's doing! :)
Posted on 2004-05-03 17:24:52 by QvasiModo