hi,

the guys from the rce board did that, and i found a great idea. Maybe somebody with a fast connection, a site leecher, and a html help compiler could create a big .CHM with the content of the board.

will be great as a reference, and to read offline :)

ancev
Posted on 2004-04-01 19:46:39 by ancev
it would nice to chop off into categories and dates.

like:

MainJanuary12004January312004.chm
MainFeb12004Feb292004.chm
AlgorithmJanuary12004January312004

and make a torrent file, leech, ............ then just merge these into 1 by using HTML Help Workshop. :grin:
Posted on 2004-04-01 20:29:25 by arkane
I hope nobody's going to do it with a site leecher, it's going to take a lot of bandwidth and time. Better to apply lobbyism to hiroshimator and make him find a solution :) - too bad he's rather busy these days.

But think about it - having access to the serverside database, you have a lot more flexible control of the output.
Posted on 2004-04-01 23:22:09 by f0dder
nonono!!

i *have* a board to html files convertor! :p

(in python)

it's just that it's a *lot* of info. (especially for people with dial-up download)

Anyone know a free html help compiler we can use?
Posted on 2004-04-02 11:28:39 by Hiroshimator
How much would be the .chm file size of the board?
Posted on 2004-04-02 16:52:16 by Mikky
hiroshimator,

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=14188

mikky,

the one from rce board its 10mb.

ancev
Posted on 2004-04-02 20:11:49 by ancev
Hello Friends,

I suspect your board might compile to a bit larger than 10Mbs, but might be manageable if you limit your board->html search path to what is linked through index.php, forumdisplay.php and showthread.php. Adding the dozens of other php file linkages that vBulletin uses would be a killer, though you might want to include the main gif files to keep things pretty even if the links don't "go" anywhere in the .chm file.

As for the attachments, since a .chm file can act as a browser you could probably keep these as direct links to the server rather than internal links, and if people want to download them, then they'll just have to go online.

I had created the .chm file from the "Archives" feature of the newer vBulletin, which I think your 2.2.6 version doesn't have. This would actually be a perfect solution for your board except that /CODE tags (and /QUOTE tags) aren't supported, so all code posted would immediately become unformatted.

To replace the Boards Search feature, HTML Workshop can build its own search index that actually does a reasonable job, certainly good enough for offline browsing I would think. HHW is a bit quirky to use but once you've set up a project and basic table of contents (just the main index files of each of your forums), and any other options you choose and save the .hhp file, updating the chm file is not too difficult. If it might help for the first time, here are a few note suggestions on setting the HHW options:

Under Options/General
Add title - Win32Asm Forum
Default File - index.htm
Default Window - CUSTOM

Create TOC:
Main - f-3.htm (i,e, forumid=3)

To add custom Tabs (Search, Favorites, extra buttons, etc.:
====================
Select Add/Modify Window
- give it a name (CUSTOM)
Buttons - add Forward/Stop/Refresh buttons (also adds online compatibility)
Position - Save user defined window position

To add Favorites Tab:
====================
Navigation Pane - select Favorites tab

To add Search Index:
====================
Under Project Options/Compiler, select Compile Full Text Search Information
Under Project Options/Files, select Full Text Search Stop List File
(create .txt file *.stp and add words to exlude from the sample list (see htmlhelp.chm)
Navigation Pane - select Search tab + Advanced (can use boolean, *)

COMPILE

Then of course you make sure those who requested this chm file in the first place send you suitable compensation in beer or other refreshment of your choice for all your efforts, which we of course all appreciate already nonetheless...:)

Good Luck.

Regards,
Kayaker
Posted on 2004-04-03 00:36:17 by Kayaker
i dont know what are you say?:<<
Posted on 2004-04-06 22:29:58 by bgcq
hiroshimator,

kayaker already give us the recipe :)

so, when we can download it? :grin:

ancev
Posted on 2004-04-07 00:31:51 by ancev
I work 10 hours/day + 3(minimum) hours commute and sometimes in the week-end, the answers is "when I have the time" :(
Posted on 2004-04-08 01:12:06 by Hiroshimator
oof it has a cli option :)
I'll try to find as much as I can about it tonight and then I'll write a little script
Posted on 2004-04-08 01:26:04 by Hiroshimator
Hiroshimator, I will host the CHM file if you build it. I have 60GB monthly bandwidth.
Posted on 2004-04-08 09:32:48 by bitRAKE
I was thinking we spread it via something like edonkey? That way many PCs can contribute.
Posted on 2004-04-08 10:14:45 by Hiroshimator
Here is another option:
http://www.archive.org/web/freecache.php

I'm going to use it for all my distributions.
Posted on 2004-05-12 18:03:08 by bitRAKE