First of all...

Mind blowing software !!! Amamzing. Amazing Amazing Amazing !!!

Excellent user interface and very easy to use!

Really appreciate that WinASM is only for MASM ! (Personal choice, I guess !)

I really really like the way the RC file can be switched between a visual/text edit mode.

Currently I am using ver 3.0.0.9 !!!

A few suggestions though:

*) In the RC file is it possible to keep the LBS_xxx, WS_xxx, ES_xxx, etc (the style values) as they are and not convert them to numbers ! I know this would take parsing the RC file more time and more validation would be required !!! Could you keep it as an option, you know, "Convert Style Properties To Number" (ON or OFF). This could be kept in the "General" tab of the options box. Why ?!? you might ask...less abstraction for us, we know exactly what we are doing!

*) Also could it be done that the visual changes in the style box reflect in realtime for the dialog. You know...say I click the "ExStyle" of a button on a dialog and turn the "WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE" property ON and immediately the button changes its look and reflect the change ??? You know...no need to click "OK".

*) The autocomplete is a bit irritating...(wait...I'll explain :) ). Whenever the list pops up, no item is selected, we have to press the DOWN key to get the first item in the list to be selected, right ? Let me explain further...
Suppose I want to type "invoke InitCommonControls"...I type "invoke" press TAB and start typing..."InitC". Now "InitCommonControls" is showing in the list as the first item. Is it possible that on pressing some key say TAB the first item in the popup list is autocompleted in the editor ?

*) Could it be possible to do this...In the "Explorer" box the "Project" tab is the current one and I am editing a dialog.
If I double-click any control in the dialog or the dialog itself the "Resource" tab should be the current one !
This or the "Visual Mode" menuitem could be given to the treeview items in the "Resources" >> "Dialogs" treeview.

*) Could it be possible to get all the proc names (from all the included files in the project) in the "Select Procedure Or GoTo Top" combobox.

*) Would it be possible to move the "Format" menu inside the "Edit" menu (Format becomes a submenu). The "Format" is related to text "editing" right ? Logical place to shift it no ? We have shortcuts for it anyway so it would certainly free up some menuspace right ??? ;)

*) Is it possible to remove the "Code Editor Font" and "Line Number Font" menuitems and put these options in the "Editor" tab of the Options box. Less clutter !!! :) This would leave the Tools menu free of anything other than "Options", the "Tools Manager" and the configured "Tools" (if any) !!!

*) Could the "Recent Projects List" be made a submenu...why ? again... less clutter ?!? ;) (Minor issue really)

*) In the "Colors" tab could we have a method of storing color schemes. Functionality for the schemes could be given as: "New", "Restore Defaults", "Save" (d-uh !) :) Save would be necessary because...if we change a color but don't like it...so we just press "Cancel" !!!

*) The "Keywords" color TAB is excellent !!! Keep it up !!! A problem though. The "C1(Resource)" Keywords listbox is not wide enough !!! :) Can't see the texts properly !!!

*) Could the templates be restructured a bit...Have them broken up as:
xyz.asm
xyz.inc <--- new entry
xyz.rc
This might need an overhaul of all the templates !!! :)

*) How about more shortcuts Alt+F1, Shift+F1, Ctrl+F1 to start the "MASM reference", "OpCodes", etc

The problem is the multiple min/max/close buttons on the right side.
Posted on 2004-04-04 15:10:05 by shantanu_gadgil
Hi shantanu_gadgil,

Thanks for the good words.

*) In the RC file is it possible to keep the LBS_xxx, WS_xxx, ES_xxx, etc (the style values) as they are and not convert them to numbers ! I know this would take parsing the RC file more time and more validation would be required !!! Could you keep it as an option, you know, "Convert Style Properties To Number" (ON or OFF). This could be kept in the "General" tab of the options box. Why ?!? you might ask...less abstraction for us, we know exactly what we are doing!

Already in the to do list. Thanks

*) Also could it be done that the visual changes in the style box reflect in realtime for the dialog. You know...say I click the "ExStyle" of a button on a dialog and turn the "WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE" property ON and immediately the button changes its look and reflect the change ??? You know...no need to click "OK".

Good Idea. Thanks

*) The autocomplete is a bit irritating...(wait...I'll explain :) ). Whenever the list pops up, no item is selected, we have to press the DOWN key to get the first item in the list to be selected, right ? Let me explain further...
Suppose I want to type "invoke InitCommonControls"...I type "invoke" press TAB and start typing..."InitC". Now "InitCommonControls" is showing in the list as the first item. Is it possible that on pressing some key say TAB the first item in the popup list is autocompleted in the editor ?

Good Idea. Thanks

*) Could it be possible to do this...In the "Explorer" box the "Project" tab is the current one and I am editing a dialog.
If I double-click any control in the dialog or the dialog itself the "Resource" tab should be the current one !
This or the "Visual Mode" menuitem could be given to the treeview items in the "Resources" >> "Dialogs" treeview.

Yet again, very good

*) Could it be possible to get all the proc names (from all the included files in the project) in the "Select Procedure Or GoTo Top" combobox.

Sorry, no

*) Would it be possible to move the "Format" menu inside the "Edit" menu (Format becomes a submenu). The "Format" is related to text "editing" right ? Logical place to shift it no ? We have shortcuts for it anyway so it would certainly free up some menuspace right ??? ;)

Sorry, no

*) Is it possible to remove the "Code Editor Font" and "Line Number Font" menuitems and put these options in the "Editor" tab of the Options box. Less clutter !!! :) This would leave the Tools menu free of anything other than "Options", the "Tools Manager" and the configured "Tools" (if any) !!!

Let me think about this

*) Could the "Recent Projects List" be made a submenu...why ? again... less clutter ?!? ;) (Minor issue really)

I love it as it is now!

*) In the "Colors" tab could we have a method of storing color schemes. Functionality for the schemes could be given as: "New", "Restore Defaults", "Save" (d-uh !) :) Save would be necessary because...if we change a color but don't like it...so we just press "Cancel" !!!

Good Idea. Thanks

*) The "Keywords" color TAB is excellent !!! Keep it up !!! A problem though. The "C1(Resource)" Keywords listbox is not wide enough !!! :) Can't see the texts properly !!!

I 'll take care of it, thanks

*) Could the templates be restructured a bit...Have them broken up as:
xyz.asm
xyz.inc <--- new entry
xyz.rc
This might need an overhaul of all the templates !!! :)

I am not sure if I undertood very well. Templates are normal WinAsm Studio Projects, so you can make any changes to your templates.

*) How about more shortcuts Alt+F1, Shift+F1, Ctrl+F1 to start the "MASM reference", "OpCodes", etc

Good Idea. Thanks

Could you please help me to reproduce the bug (a step by step procedure would help a lot)? I haven't been able to see it yet. What OS are you using?

Thanks very much again,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-04-05 00:25:31 by akyprian
the templates which come with WinASM itself have only the .asm and the .rc.

Having a .inc file is "good" ;) "modular" (:o) programming right ?!?

This idea was just to reduce stuff at the top of the main .asm and shift it all to the main .inc file, that's all !

If I have some procs of my own, I always put them in a separate .INC, that why

Regarding the "Format" menu, fine...you are the boss ;o).

Could we have a "Convert" submenu in the "Format" which converts to lowercase/UPPERCASE/ProperCase ???

The bug with the multiple min/max/close buttons happened only twice (I tried to reproduce it, but could not :( )
(I am using WinXP+SP1)

If and when it happens again, I will surely post it.

Waiting for the next version !!! Yay !!!
Posted on 2004-04-05 01:32:25 by shantanu_gadgil
Hi again,

the templates which come with WinASM itself have only the .asm and the .rc.

Having a .inc file is "good" ;) "modular" (:o) programming right ?!?

This idea was just to reduce stuff at the top of the main .asm and shift it all to the main .inc file, that's all !

If I have some procs of my own, I always put them in a separate .INC, that why

No problem, you can make the necessary changes to the templates.

Regarding the "Format" menu, fine...you are the boss ;o).

I don't feel like a boss! WinAsm Studio belongs to all of us. I just have to think about all consequences of any change...

Could we have a "Convert" submenu in the "Format" which converts to lowercase/UPPERCASE/ProperCase ???

Thanks put into the TODO list. It could be implemented in a nice Add-In though....

The bug with the multiple min/max/close buttons happened only twice (I tried to reproduce it, but could not :( )
(I am using WinXP+SP1)
If and when it happens again, I will surely post it.

I really want to fix this. Please try to reproduce it

Waiting for the next version !!! Yay !!!

Me too!

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-04-05 04:03:23 by akyprian
Hi...
How about these features/options in the RC Toolbox (can be duplicated in the Format menu).
Format
>> Align
>>>>Lefts
>>>>Centers
>>>>Rights
>>>>-
>>>>Tops
>>>>Middles
>>>>Bottoms
>>Make Same Size
>>>>Width
>>>>Height
>>>>Both
Looks familiar, doesn't it ? Yes the "Format" menu of the VB 6.0 IDE !!! We don't need to use the language, but can certainly use the idea, right ?!? ;)
The "Center In Dialog" facility is quite useful for a standard "OK" "Cancel" dialog !?!

In the RC Toolbox the pictures have been done nicely but I am never really confident about which button I am clicking so I end up holding the mouse pointer over the button waiting for the ToolTip to appear :(

The "gridsize" and the "align left" are no problem...but after that :(

If these option were duplicated in the menu, it could be a bit faster ?

All the templates have spaces instead of TABs in them. Why use eight bytes (I use 8) when we can use one byte.

In the templates, all the .asm files are NOT INDENTED !!! That is sacrilege man !!! ;) Seriously man...I am going to indent all the templates when I get time.

Also, could we include "comctl32.inc" and the "comctl32.lib" as default in the templates ? Required nearly all the time ??? Yes..."invoke InitCommonControls" too !

Correction to an earlier suggestion...If we double-click on a dialog in "Visual Mode" would it be more logical to switch to "Text Mode" (Non-visual), i.e. edit the RC manually.

In the "Project" tab of the Project Explorer, if we right-click any file, the is an item "Properties". Shouldn't this item be shown when we right click the project name (root of the treeview) ?

Also could you give a "Rename Project" item when we "right-click" the project name (root of the treeview).
Or you could modify the way we create a new project...ask for a project name in the "New Project" dialog ? In this dialog you could give the option of choosing the directory where we want to store the new project and the new project would be created in a folder with the given name of th project ? (Yes M$ VC++ style !!!)
Posted on 2004-04-07 12:19:43 by shantanu_gadgil
Hi Antonis, hi shantanu_gadgil,

*) The autocomplete is a bit irritating...(wait...I'll explain ). Whenever the list pops up, no item is selected, we have to press the DOWN key to get the first item in the list to be selected, right ? Let me explain further...

Good Idea. Thanks

Well, I would like this option, too (because I am sure I've already mentioned it ;) ). But it should be another key then TAB (maybe you could add an option to select a shortcut for this, like in Resources->New Menu->Shortcut)

Sorry, no

Why not? This could be a really nice option if you add a button besides the combobox to switch between "show all procudures" and "show procedures of the current file".

*) Would it be possible to move the "Format" menu inside the "Edit" menu (Format becomes a submenu). The "Format" is related to text "editing" right ? Logical place to shift it no ? We have shortcuts for it anyway so it would certainly free up some menuspace right ???

Sorry, no

Please Antonis, do not misunderstand me but I cannot understand your position in this point.

*) Is it possible to remove the "Code Editor Font" and "Line Number Font" menuitems and put these options in the "Editor" tab of the Options box. Less clutter !!! This would leave the Tools menu free of anything other than "Options", the "Tools Manager" and the configured "Tools" (if any) !!!

Let me think about this

To ease your thinking process :) : I would like to have these menu items moved, too.

*) How about more shortcuts Alt+F1, Shift+F1, Ctrl+F1 to start the "MASM reference", "OpCodes", etc ...

Good Idea. Thanks

... with the option for the user to select a shortcut (as mentioned in the first point).

:) Regards, Marwin
Posted on 2004-04-07 15:07:49 by Marwin
Hi, shantanu_gadgil

Hi...

How about these features/options in the RC Toolbox (can be duplicated in the Format menu).
Format
>> Align
>>>>Lefts
>>>>Centers
>>>>Rights
>>>>-
>>>>Tops
>>>>Middles
>>>>Bottoms
>>Make Same Size
>>>>Width
>>>>Height
>>>>Both
Looks familiar, doesn't it ? Yes the "Format" menu of the VB 6.0 IDE !!! We don't need to use the language, but can certainly use the idea, right ?!? ;)
The "Center In Dialog" facility is quite useful for a standard "OK" "Cancel" dialog !?!

If these option were duplicated in the menu, it could be a bit faster ?

I think it would be nice if we have them in the context menu of resources

All the templates have spaces instead of TABs in them. Why use eight bytes (I use 8) when we can use one byte.

In the templates, all the .asm files are NOT INDENTED !!! That is sacrilege man !!! ;) Seriously man...I am going to indent all the templates when I get time.

I agree. When you are done, please post them so that I include them in the new package. Thanks in advance.

Also, could we include "comctl32.inc" and the "comctl32.lib" as default in the templates ? Required nearly all the time ??? Yes..."invoke InitCommonControls" too !

I just don't want to confuse newbies by inserting something that is not really used in a certain Template.

Correction to an earlier suggestion...If we double-click on a dialog in "Visual Mode" would it be more logical to switch to "Text Mode" (Non-visual), i.e. edit the RC manually.

I have so many suggestions on how to support double-click... I am still thinking.

In the "Project" tab of the Project Explorer, if we right-click any file, the is an item "Properties". Shouldn't this item be shown when we right click the project name (root of the treeview) ?

It is shown.

Or you could modify the way we create a new project...ask for a project name in the "New Project" dialog ? In this dialog you could give the option of choosing the directory where we want to store the new project and the new project would be created in a folder with the given name of th project ? (Yes M$ VC++ style !!!)

What happens if you decide not to save the new project as I usually do?

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-04-08 02:05:15 by akyprian
Hi Marwin,

Why not? This could be a really nice option if you add a button besides the combobox to switch between "show all procudures" and "show procedures of the current file".

For two reasons:
1.We already have all Procedures in the Blocks tab
2.we will have a significant speed penalty.

To ease your thinking process :) : I would like to have these menu items moved, too.

I don't like long, overbloated menus. Bear in mind that there are plans for new menu items to be inserted in these two menus, so....

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-04-08 05:00:44 by akyprian
2.we will have a significant speed penalty.

Okay, this is a good reason.

there are plans for new menu items to be inserted in these two menus

I did not know this until this moment.

One question: is it possible for you to publish to do/wish list and maybe the not-accepted suggestions (with reasons if possible), too?

Regards,
Marwin
Posted on 2004-04-10 03:55:31 by Marwin
Hi akyprian,

Regarding the alignment/sizing menus, for now *just* having them would be fine !!!

About the IninCommonControls, pressing F1 *just* once will tell a newbie what it does, right ? :)
Anyway, not a big issue, whichever way it is !

About the "Properties" item to be shown in the right-click, what I left out was "ONLY" :)
Hence the rephrase...
Shouldn't this item be shown *ONLY* when we right click the project name (root of the treeview) ?

Reason is that the "Properties" is project related and not file related, that's all !

You have asked:
What happens if you decide not to save the new project as I usually do?

I am a bit confused...If I choose New Project > Executable > SDI or New Project > Dialog > Bare Bone, then WinASM asks a folder to put the files in. So basically we are creating new files, why not put them in a separate folder ? :) Stay sorted and all !!! ;)

Also WinASM seems to be suffering from "last project-name hangover" :) :) ;)
Even after I "Close Project" the name stays in the caption bar. :)

There is a problem regarding the docking behaviour of the "Output" window. To explain I will have to attach more than one picture so I will just try to explain in words. Here goes...
1. Keep the "Output" option from the "View" menu ON. Keep it docked at the bottom (default)
2. Close any active project.
3. Restart WinASM.
4. Click the "double-lined" widget of the "Output" window once. The "Output" window detaches from the extreme left !!!

A few properly indented templates. I use these a lot.
Posted on 2004-04-10 15:11:37 by shantanu_gadgil
Hi,

Originally posted by shantanu_gadgil
Hi akyprian,

Regarding the alignment/sizing menus, for now *just* having them would be fine !!!

About the IninCommonControls, pressing F1 *just* once will tell a newbie what it does, right ? :)
Anyway, not a big issue, whichever way it is !

About the "Properties" item to be shown in the right-click, what I left out was "ONLY" :)
Hence the rephrase...
Shouldn't this item be shown *ONLY* when we right click the project name (root of the treeview) ?

Reason is that the "Properties" is project related and not file related, that's all !

OK for these.

I am a bit confused...If I choose New Project > Executable > SDI or New Project > Dialog > Bare Bone, then WinASM asks a folder to put the files in. So basically we are creating new files, why not put them in a separate folder ? :) Stay sorted and all !!! ;)

Yes this is true if you create a new project based on a template. If you create new empty project (i.e not based on any template) the nyou don't have to save it beforehand.

Also WinASM seems to be suffering from "last project-name hangover" :) :) ;)
Even after I "Close Project" the name stays in the caption bar. :)

Thanks for this. Fixed (you will have it in the next release)

There is a problem regarding the docking behaviour of the "Output" window. To explain I will have to attach more than one picture so I will just try to explain in words. Here goes...
1. Keep the "Output" option from the "View" menu ON. Keep it docked at the bottom (default)
2. Close any active project.
3. Restart WinASM.
4. Click the "double-lined" widget of the "Output" window once. The "Output" window detaches from the extreme left !!!

This is not a bug. Double clicking on a docked window is supposed to UNdock it. I assume that there are not valid values in your winasm.ini file for the output window when it is NOT docked.

Thanks for the templates. I will include them in the next full package (from my site)

Regards,

akyprian
Posted on 2004-04-12 14:27:04 by akyprian