OK thats my story so i had no problem till today morning i just turned on my PC and while booting

L 99 99 99 ......................... 99 shows on the screen.

When i put out this hdd:
160 GB
Partitions:

1 Boot: 78 MB
2 Swap: 512 MB
3 /: 15 GB ext:Jurnalised
(free space) 20 GB
5 WinPartit1 30 GB Fat32
6 WinPartit2 30 GB Fat32
7 WinPartit3 30 gb Fat32

Windows on other hdd starts just fine.

the only partition i can see is Boot. Is there a way to restore my partitions ??
Can you give me a link to some free software to do this ??

I JUST CANT LOSE ALL MY DATA JUST LIKE THAT.

Btw linux brings bad luck to my PC i kind of start to detest it.
Posted on 2004-04-05 17:14:33 by AceEmbler
Is your BIOS set to LBA access (if applicible, you might have to manually detect your drive) and your lilo.conf set to "lba32" instead of "linear"? The only real way to access it now is from something like Gentoo's LiveCD or Debian Rescue Disc.

If you still are having problems, post your lilo.conf here and how your drives are setup and I can help you from there.
Posted on 2004-04-06 03:23:05 by SpooK
how am I suposed to find my lilo.conf when all my partitions (ext3 and Fat32) are mixed together and are marked as free unformated space ???
Posted on 2004-04-06 11:55:35 by AceEmbler
mmmm, I dont know if is the same problem... because I dont understand what you put (short of knowledge).

But one time a go, I modify inside mandrake with diskdrake or some like that the suposed format of a partition, that have ntfs to ext3, then when I reboot, I see that the computer starts, and the grub start the OS, but when was checking for the partitions, it not recognogize the one that I change before.

I try to solve with the rescue, but I cant, then I 'trace' a posible solution, this was, enter the install disck, and continue to the phase where you select the partitions, then I change there for a second time the format of the partition, I select the format now, and stop the installation, I restart the computer, and when it run, the partition where recognogized by the OS.

Also I dont know if that can be a solution, but take like a real final action, because it requires format... I think.

Also keep in touch or in calm, because your data still there, and the partitions too, maybe exist a easy way of do it.

Have a nice day or night.
Posted on 2004-04-06 12:13:30 by rea

how am I suposed to find my lilo.conf when all my partitions (ext3 and Fat32) are mixed together and are marked as free unformated space ???

I'm not sure how you mean, but the records for those should be in the MBR, and extensions in the appropriate LBRs... that is a standard for a reason.
Posted on 2004-04-06 12:27:44 by SpooK
AceEmbler, if all else fails, go get a blank drive with a lot of free space + some professional data recovery software (yes, it's usually somewhat expensive).

After that, go NTFS for your windows partitions, and keep linux to dedicated machines or vmware/virtualpc VMs.
Posted on 2004-04-06 12:28:56 by f0dder

AceEmbler, if all else fails, go get a blank drive with a lot of free space + some professional data recovery software (yes, it's usually somewhat expensive).

After that, go NTFS for your windows partitions, and keep linux to dedicated machines or vmware/virtualpc VMs.

Yes, working with linux and the ext2/ext3/resier filesystems... I have yet to come across such a problem. I haven't even come across any problems with my encrypted ext3 filesystem that I use for backup storage.

AceEmbler, if you are not upto the challange of learning what you are using... follow f0dder's advice.
Posted on 2004-04-06 12:38:37 by SpooK
Hehehe, also boch is now under active developevement, and hits at less two times the top 10 of developevement, iirc is there a guy that is aporting much ;)

Also you say that windows run ok? "Windows on other hdd starts just fine.", this mean you have other hdd with win?, from there I supose that you can access the partitions, backup if posible.

If you not have much sensible data in the lin partitions, then you can reinstall the OS, (only take care that you dont delete the partitions of windows), this maybe should fix where the partitions are and the installed OS's.

Spook, If you can explain a little more of what you think is the problem... because the solutions that I am giving are without knowledge, that will be what I will do if have a problem like that. Like I see you have more clear what is the problem?

Posted on 2004-04-06 12:40:47 by rea
By the way, I remember that I install a lot of times the first lin that I have, because I dont know what I move..... a yes I remember the graphics things ;).

Posted on 2004-04-06 12:43:31 by rea

AceEmbler, if you are not upto the challange of learning what you are using... follow f0dder's advice.

SpooK, it's a good idea to play safe while you are still learning - it's easy to hurt yourself on linux when you are new to it. (I haven't had a single problem with my ReiserFS, not even though I have encrypted root+swap and there have been power outages etc. But at I do sortof know what I'm doing ;)).

hgb, bochs is still pretty slow though - it's mostly useful for OS development.
Posted on 2004-04-06 12:47:16 by f0dder
I supose (because I see the provided examples), that can be used (slow), but can run almost win98, some linux and others, if you cant buy vmware/virtualpc, then you still can use this, and think that you say here only for learn :), then is not much necesary take the options that are aimed for robust virtualization of the machine.

Hopefully some day will be more fast ;), reliable and competitive, with some help I supose.

Posted on 2004-04-06 12:53:43 by rea
I hope bochs will stay "slow" - or rather, will stay as 100% emulation, since that allows for more hardcore debugging to be constructed (better than what you would get with a hardware ICE). If you want "fast and free", http://plex86.sourceforge.net/ is probably where you should look - although it seems they gave up making something generic & good, and focused on just linux :)
Posted on 2004-04-06 13:00:18 by f0dder
Don't remember right , but I had to get it before .
Seems like the linux lilo has put on MBR instead on the first sector of partition . And it seems damage .
Could you try to install a win 2K on that HDD ? It will erase the MBR and replace it by windows . When you can boot by WINDOWS , problems are solved . You can download Total Commander + ext2 plugin . Use TC to get data from linux partition .
Posted on 2004-04-06 23:31:18 by dreamweaver

Could you try to install a win 2K on that HDD ? It will erase the MBR and replace it by windows

Installing win2k could lead in getting an entire partition formatted. Rather, start up with a Knoppix cd (that give you higher control without touching your hd) and try to fix MBR or install grub.

If the problem is not the MBR (not likely), don't touch the interested partition however. Your data is still there and you can find tools to read it. Take the disk to a very trusted technician.
Posted on 2004-04-07 07:45:57 by pelaillo
Partition Magic , Total Commander is enough for rescue all kinds of data .
In the 160GB above still remain 20 GB free plus Ace Embler has another hd has OS, so the best is use that drive to get data from Linux partition by TC plugins ( it works well with ext2 ) , and install Win XP on the free space . Though I remember Win 2000 /XP can let your partition as is ( it don't format if you don't order ) .
The nearest i don't see my FAT32 partitions is I setup for Win Longhorn on WinXP + BootMagic installed before. An accident makes me don't see any FAT32 partitions ( **$#%$# Longhorn ) on other OS but when I reinstall WinXP then everything ok .
Just unhide all partition use Partition Magic .
90 GB data , seems can' be lost easily like that , I believe that 160 GB must have shock ( electric ) protection plus S.M.A.R.T. ( the lasgest drive I have is 60 GB :((( ) . The largest danger is that disc is thrown to the wall or be kicked :) .
Trial 30 days is enough for rescue .
Partition Magic 8 trial :
http://www.soft32.com/download_151.html

BTW Ace , your 160 GB is 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm ? Seagate or Maxtor ?
Posted on 2004-04-07 11:00:45 by dreamweaver
it's 7200 rpm Caviar.

i have got 10 GB free space on my hdd how am i suposed to recover 100GB of data using it ???
Posted on 2004-04-08 19:20:01 by AceEmbler
Just setup another OS on it and after that, if you not see your partitions , setup Partition Magic and use PM to recover data .
Posted on 2004-04-09 09:01:03 by dreamweaver
PartitionMagic to recover data? :O while I've never had problems with PM myself, I've heard of enough people that have lost data because of it - so I wouldn't recommend PM for saving data.
Posted on 2004-04-09 09:49:44 by f0dder
Have you bothered to check the first 63 sectors of your HD? Certain FDISK programs make a backup in that area of the HD since it is commonly unused by anything else.
Posted on 2004-04-09 09:58:29 by SpooK

PartitionMagic to recover data? :O while I've never had problems with PM myself, I've heard of enough people that have lost data because of it - so I wouldn't recommend PM for saving data.

It works for me in somecases , and please f00der what the other did with PM lead to they lost their data ?
I just recommend it for the case above cause the partitions are hidden .
Posted on 2004-04-10 06:53:55 by dreamweaver