Hello.

After analyzing the software industry, I believe C# and .NET are and will remain apart of a major set of development tool on the Win32 and Win64 platform second to only a combination of C/C++. With that in mind, I would like to ask what is the most complete and advanced programming book on C#/.NET?

Here are the books I am considering.

Programming Microsoft .NET by Jeff Prosise

Pro: Very good overall
Con: Broad and emphasizes .ASP

Programming Windows with C# (Core Reference) by Charles Petzold

Pro: Complete - discusses all GUI tools, etc.
Con: Fundamental - many examples of Windows Forms and no advanced design including multithreading, etc.

Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming by Jeffrey Richter

Pro: Extensive coverage of CRT and .NET
Con: Overrated, lacking advanced subjects including multithreading, etc. It is not like his previous book on Win32 programming.

I am trying to buy as few books as possible and still acquire a good overall understanding of C#/.NET and extensive converage of the framework for maximizing an application's performance. I am interested in multithreading, multiple processes, memory mapping, IPC, serial communication, socket, etc.

I believe I can learn the specifics (GUI) via experimenting, MSDN, and of course forums.

Thanks,

Kuphryn
Posted on 2004-04-07 17:44:11 by kuphryn
Just refer Charles Petzold and Jeffrey Richter . Jeffrey Richter good at advance and Charles Petzold can be beaten for beginning . But for only one , I refer "Applied MS.NET Framework programming" cause the basic and GUI can easily learn .
Posted on 2004-04-07 22:58:23 by dreamweaver
Okay. Thanks.

Kuphryn
Posted on 2004-04-08 21:03:00 by kuphryn
Professional C# by Simon Robinson is pretty good. It assumes programming knowledge but explains C# from the basics, as well as the .NET framework.

Thomas
Posted on 2004-04-09 10:15:45 by Thomas