Are you interested in *new* multi-compiler development environment with support for MASM32 & HLA ?
You can find this new IDE at: http://www.uemake.com.
Screenshot "in action" you can find here: http://www.uemake.com/web/img/umdev/b/asmedit.gif

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

regards.
Posted on 2004-04-08 05:49:45 by uemaker
I think I'll stay with RadAsm.
It does just about everything Umdev does when it concerns programming in assembly, more system-resource efficient, has a built in resource editor, the author is active to the needs of the users and... it's free.

Hard to beat that.
Posted on 2004-04-08 11:26:29 by Kain
Thanks for your opinion.
But if you are saying that "RadAsm does just about everything Umdev does...", you did not tried all the functions that UMDEV offers.
Posted on 2004-04-08 11:45:29 by uemaker
Th UTF-8 encoding is very interesting, I am looking for a unicode compatible editor and unfortunately RadASM has no plans on adding full support for Unicode. Is the editor easily adaptable to other assemblers,for example GoAsm. In GoAsm you are able to use non-western labels and proc names for example you could use :
Posted on 2004-04-08 11:45:58 by donkey
Of course, UMDEV _supports_ GoASM and all other assemblers (NASM, TASM, ...) If you are using GoAsm, UMDEV directly loads symbols from DLLs to the symbol list and they are available for auto-completition ...
Posted on 2004-04-08 11:52:48 by uemaker
Well, I will try it. I can't say that it will replace RadASM for me soon as I tend just to add whatever I need to RadASM when I want something but I am open to new IDEas :) From the website it appears very powerful and well laid out.
Posted on 2004-04-08 12:00:11 by donkey
Looks really cool, but requires a fee. So I'll stick with RadASM.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-04-08 12:17:47 by _Shawn

Thanks for your opinion.
But if you are saying that "RadAsm does just about everything Umdev does...", you did not tried all the functions that UMDEV offers.

It's more of a question of what functions I need and what functions I find useful as opposed to what functions it offers.
Posted on 2004-04-08 12:25:41 by Kain
Some while ago I have tried this IDE and I must say it's not bad at all. I find it pretty neat for some HLLs out there but as for ASM I wouldn't leave the tiny RadASM environment.

I don't use this IDE though since it requires a fee and I'm a student and so haven't got enough money for software, well not before I start making some serious money myself :rolleyes:
Posted on 2004-04-08 13:15:29 by Milos
Does it do anything special with FASM?
Posted on 2004-04-08 14:49:40 by comrade
I am sorry, not. FASM has a standard support in UMDEV.
Posted on 2004-04-08 14:57:24 by uemaker
It looks very good, but I have tried many editor before and I always go back to Notepad because it starts fast and UltraEdit, TextPad and others take some time. Now I am using standard FASM editor which comes with win32 version, and its starts as fast as Notepad. How resource demanding is UMDEV? It looks very good I must say...
Posted on 2004-04-08 16:12:53 by comrade
Notepad starts fast because it is a very simple application with standard edit control.
Posted on 2004-04-08 18:59:16 by uemaker
Notepad it is then.
Posted on 2004-04-08 22:00:59 by comrade
It's very nice to force your potential customers to subscribe only for download your IDE by the POST (instead of GET) method. Another nice feature is to put your button inside of QuickLaunch bar without my permission - thank you, I spent two more minutes to delete it from.
I also understand your intention, but I don't think it is good idea to stick registration window to the top of all.
Posted on 2004-04-09 09:42:37 by masquer

.. Another nice feature is to put your button inside of QuickLaunch bar without my permission - thank you, I spent two more minutes to delete it from.

I apologize, but I don't think that clicking on the button right mouse and then select remove is a "two minutes" work.
Posted on 2004-04-09 11:02:58 by uemaker

It's very nice to force your potential customers to subscribe only for download your IDE by the POST (instead of GET) method. Another nice feature is to put your button inside of QuickLaunch bar without my permission - thank you, I spent two more minutes to delete it from.
I also understand your intention, but I don't think it is good idea to stick registration window to the top of all.

LOL, if it took you two minutes to delete a shortcut from the quicklaunch you need a refresher course in how to use Windows.

How he decides to enforce registration and protect his software is his own concern, if you want to get rid of the nag screen just buy the software.

Hi uemaker,

Very nice IDE on a first look, I will try it for a while.
Posted on 2004-04-09 11:39:53 by donkey
I have a better way of dealing with an overly intrusive software installation... delete it and never use it again. There's always a better alternate out there (except in the case of MS but I won't go into the flame wars)...

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2004-04-09 14:17:28 by _Shawn
Yes, this option is always here. You must to know what is for you best to use to program in. Nowhere is written "you must use this IDE". You _can_.
So what to say. Thanks for trying out the UMDEV :)
Posted on 2004-04-09 14:30:04 by uemaker
uemaker & donkey
You both obviousely miss my point, sorry. Next time I'l measure the exact time it took to remove lnk file from "Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\" folder. If this behaviour is acceptable for you - no problem, but I have only one file operation for the insolent applications. Remember this is not a freeware program and you have a lot of competotors.
You can also keep your derisions for the refund situations

if you want to get rid of the nag screen just buy the software

Do you really believe this is the only options? I know at least two more.
I don't need nag screens (or any other annoying things) to decide whether I buy software or not.

uemaker
I'm not saying your program is bad or something like that talking about functionality.
BTW, seems like you voilate UPX license :)
Posted on 2004-04-10 03:30:49 by masquer