Well you're right, but I tought it might be any global solution for replacing notepad. It would be better for the other applications to find this editor automatically as they do with notepad.

I will chang the file associations, if this is the only possibility.

Thanks anyway
Posted on 2004-04-12 13:55:52 by bszente

Nice editor.

How can I relace my Notepad editor with the NoteXPad editor without renaming to "Notepad.exe" and copy it to the Windows directory?
Is there any registry value which specifies the path to default text editor?
Or environment variable (like the TEMP or TMP variables)?

Thanks

NoteXPad is a green software, it never write option value to registry, so u must manually change the name of notepad for repalacement
Posted on 2004-04-12 20:34:45 by dREAMtHEATER
Quite the conspiracy theorist, eh cmax?

The limits on notepad and wordpad are because of the edit controls used (standard editcontrol for notepad, riched for wordpad). This means ~64k limit for notepad on 9x, iirc. Riched can handle larger data, but generally sucks. NT, since it's 32bit code doesn't build on legacy 16bit shit, has less limits - this includes being able to have "quite a lot" of data in a standard edit control. The edit control wasn't built for this though, so it's not especially good at handling it. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if notepad works by allocating a buffer for the entire filesize, then doing a single FileRead, and then WM_SETTEXT'ing it to the edit control (this seems to be confirmed by the very large memory usage when opening a 65meg file ;)).

Anyway, nothing stops other people from coding more efficient text handling controls, and a lot of people have done this - ultraedit, editplus (using the codemax control?), PFE, ... - but perhaps you think that MS should provide the "edit control" of word with windows, free to use for other application developers, and perhaps opensource it too? ;)
Posted on 2004-04-12 21:09:37 by f0dder
Thanks dREAMtHEATER,

I will choose than the filetype association method.
It is a nice, easy to use, fast editor. It's exactly what I needed. The UltraEdit is pretty complicated for simple tasks and starts a little bit slow.

Have you tought about to introduce ReBar controls for the toolbar?
And it would be also a good thing to autodetect the sinax highlighting based on the filename extension. Or to put a list of extensions for each language sintax.
Posted on 2004-04-13 03:13:56 by bszente

Thanks dREAMtHEATER,

I will choose than the filetype association method.
It is a nice, easy to use, fast editor. It's exactly what I needed. The UltraEdit is pretty complicated for simple tasks and starts a little bit slow.
Have you tought about to introduce ReBar controls for the toolbar?

using the simple flat style toolbar for this software is a good choice, because simpleness is the core purpose for it
Posted on 2004-04-13 03:43:07 by dREAMtHEATER
please download the bug fixed version of NoteXPad v1.4.5.2:

Self-Extracting EXE:
http://eyming.w104.7888.net/dREAMtHEATER/NoteXPad_1452_EN.exe

ZIP format:
http://eyming.w104.7888.net/dREAMtHEATER/NoteXPad_1452_EN.zip
Posted on 2004-04-15 03:20:43 by dREAMtHEATER
Originally posted by dREAMtHEATER
Hi!
I've fixed some bug, especially in Font setting. In
addition, you can visit my website with
http://dREAMtHEATER.yeah.net , but now it only has simple
Chinese page, if I get time I will design a English version,
sorry for this inconvenience.

dREAMtHEATER

NoteXPad 1.4.5.2 English Version
=================================

NoteXPad is a text editor , the replacement of Notepad (Notepad is a standard text editor that comes with MS Windows). As you know, Notepad has many limitation, such as the size of editing files, NoteXPad break through these limitation and add many features that are not provided with Notepad.

Great job of fixing how it deals with non-standard ASCII characters. Have you thought about making
it able to open more than one file at a time.

A lot of people like to cut and paste from one file to another.

Thanks.
Posted on 2004-04-15 08:05:11 by skywalker

Great job of fixing how it deals with non-standard ASCII characters. Have you thought about making

Thanks.

Have you thought about making

It's just a replacement of notepad, so I don't want let NoteXPad support MDI, it will breach my original intention for disigning this software

u can use the "paste on copy" feature( through Menu "VIew-->Paste on Copy"), it's a cool feature, so u never cut and paste from one file to another
Posted on 2004-04-15 10:15:12 by dREAMtHEATER