http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/1201.html#1201.f_1

...that would imply (certain kinds of) Reverse Engineering is legal, right? So, how does this relate to the DMCA? It shouldn't be too much of a problem for me since I'm in europe, but it would be nice knowing what the american laws *really* are.

And no, I don't want to have RE discussions on this board, there are much better suited places anyway. I'm just interested in the legality of stuff, since I do tend to dabble with RE every now and then (like, when I fixed the video problem with XCOM).
Posted on 2004-04-18 16:24:01 by f0dder
hi f0dder im not aware of the laws in the U.S. on Reversing software but i thought you might be interested in a book called: "Exploiting Software: How to break Code" by Greg Hoglund/Gary McGraw it's available from amazon anyway just thought you'd be interested. ;x ~HeXeN
Posted on 2004-04-18 22:21:08 by HeXeN
The laws here are scary - appears based on the money backing the people against you, and their desire to make you disappear (anything from putting you away to muddying your character with the media). The illusion of the legal systems effectiveness fades exponentially with one experience with it.
Posted on 2004-04-18 23:46:14 by bitRAKE
Hm yes, there's been nasty happenings like the Dmitry Skylarov one. I guess you should be safe if you stick to malware analysis since hardly anybody would give a flying fsck about virus writer rights, but even legal RE of other things could give problems :/
Posted on 2004-04-19 04:54:47 by f0dder