I know this may seem like a silly question but whenever I try to search for ANYTHING (and wherever as well, if it's searching in bookstores or searching on google, etc) there is entirely WAY too much beginner stuff and even things which tout themselves as intermediate or advanced and are way too remedial. (really the "intermediate" should be titled "beginner" and the "advanced" "intermediate")

I mean I'll search for anything and am just completely bombarded by beginner stuff that doesn't help me at all. I want the good stuff. So far, the only things which satisfy me are mostly manuals and specifications from the companies themselves.

Well, now I am a little interested in MSIL and am trying to find some example code written in MSIL but I can't get past either the websites which somehow think that Managed C++ and MSIL are the same thing or that C# and MSIL are the same thing or that VisualBASIC .NET and MSIL are the same thing or else which only include very very poorly-written stuff where even the author of it doesn't know what his own code does (and where he didn't even write it---just generated with ildasm)

Also, I'd like the mappings between MSIL opcodes and their bytecodes. (along with some DECENT sample code---not too big but not a "hello world" either, just enough to see some real code in action)

Does anyone know of a decent resource here?
Posted on 2004-04-26 18:40:15 by ShortCoder
Perhaps http://www.go-mono.com/ has what you want :)
Posted on 2004-04-27 03:17:26 by f0dder
Thanks.:) For some reason, I had completely forgotten that site even existed. Anyhow, under question number 4 in the FAQ on that site, it listed two places to get pdf files with one of them the spec for C# and the other the spec for the CLI (which I assume has MSIL in it somewhere). These are ECMA specs. I'll have a look at these later.

Although this helps me in this one situation, it still doesn't aid in the more general problem of how to sift through beginner stuff to find what you need. (In case there is a different topic/subject later on)

Thanks for reminding me about the mono project though, as I had completely forgotten about that.:o
Posted on 2004-04-27 12:38:13 by ShortCoder
Sifting through beginner stuff... tjah. I guess you'll have to read a lot of reviews, and/or skim through the books in a bookstore. Generally stay away from "in X days/hours/weeks" kind of books. Addison-Wesley books are generally high quality, and Microsoft Press does good stuff too.
Posted on 2004-04-27 14:44:56 by f0dder