Hi,

I was wondering if there are people in here that do martial arts ?
I'm thinking about joining a club for aikido or ju-jitsu, don't know yet wich to choose.
Because i'm getting really fat :( about 100 kg, I need to do sport.
I'm going to combine it with running.

So what sport do you do to keep in shape ?
Posted on 2004-04-28 19:25:42 by Jurgen
Bicycling, running, pumping some iron (only small stuff, 2x10kg dumbbells - I don't want to end up looking like arnie ^_^).

I need to increase the frequence of workout again, winter's been a bit too idle, not much fun running when there's snow all over. Combine that with a bad coke habit (of the brown liquid type), I think I've gained some 5kg during winter.

Whatever you do, don't start out too hard - and look at your diet too, it's at least as important as the amount of excercise you do.
Posted on 2004-04-28 19:32:08 by f0dder
Swimming; lots of it. Probably one of the best sports to lose weight if you're into it and do it every night (or a few nights a week at least). I gained about 10 pounds over winter, lost 15 from swimming ;)
Posted on 2004-04-28 20:34:30 by DaRetard
Practice some Jeet Kune Do :)
Posted on 2004-04-28 20:35:33 by SpooK
Soccer, athletics, kung fu... ;) That are what I'm doin'... :)
Posted on 2004-04-29 02:11:28 by Tommy
liposuction! :grin: :grin: :grin:
Posted on 2004-04-29 04:32:32 by arkane
I'm a real sportoholic :) I'm swimming about 20 hours every week and I've been practicing ju-jitsu two times/week for three years now. If you want to loose weight, you really should go swimming as often you can.
Posted on 2004-04-29 04:35:16 by Delight
gastric bypass!!! :grin: :grin:
Posted on 2004-04-29 04:47:00 by arkane
i m practizing gymnastics, its a very complete sport, but dont think its the best beginning.

i m also doing some french boxing (like thai boxing but without knees and ankles , and we dont strike hard like thai boxers ...) , you use fists and feet, doing it since beginning of last year, i liked it very quickly, but maybe you can begin with jogging or roller (i did that too, its cool too), i run with some music in the ears, its better for motivation but worse for breating efficiently imho.
jogging is good i think, even if you dont like it that much, begin at your pace. i usually run slowly, you can begin by trying 5-10 min (like i did), then you do more. stopping in the middle isnt a shame, you just walk a while to grasp some air :)

if you want to do a martial art, i would recommend something where you dont strike hard, like french boxing or karate. (but karate is more aimed at discipline and self control, its strict) judo is more about grabbing the ennemy, you dont punch or kick at all, thai boxing is... violent, there are other like taekwondo or qwan qui do where you use weapons (might be fun too)
aikido/ju-jitsu, dunno much (i think ju jitsu uses weapons, and aikido is rather soft)

swimming might be a very good idea (i dont do that though)
wheight lifting... dunno if you ll lose wheight :)

avoid to do some effort without having eaten anything since long (i almost fainted one time)
drink a lot.

bye
Posted on 2004-04-29 07:38:04 by HeLLoWorld

I'm swimming about 20 hours every week

Do you compete at all? What's your favorite event to swim? I'm a big distance kind of guy; I do the 500 and the 1 mile (Probably don't have the mile since you're in sweden).
Posted on 2004-04-29 10:06:55 by DaRetard
I'm sporthoholic also. Currently I'm managing little free time and I have to share it between fasming and doing sports.

Besides some sporadic volleyball and soccer, I keep disciplined only with practicing Kung-Fu, 'cause it helps to keep into shape not only my body, but also my mind and spirit. :)
Posted on 2004-04-29 10:31:13 by pelaillo
Just look at where I am from, I skate and love Hockey. In the summer I get fat waiting for the lake to freeze :)
Posted on 2004-04-29 11:03:29 by donkey
I used to travel, the heavy backback on my shoulders did as much as lifting weights this all combined with walking for miles on end while sightseeing was my major exercise for pretty much 6 years.

Nowadays I get chased by a baby all day or carry her 30 pounds around. This is as much sport as I can handle :)

Also, occasionally I switch arms while drinking beer...
Posted on 2004-04-29 11:27:53 by JimmyClif
mmmm, because here are listed a lot of sports, I suggest start whit swimming (I dont practice I dont know how to swimm but I will learn) is a good sport, and a diferent medium (your body is not in the air, and offer density, but will not force much the body or some like that, I see that in a movie ;) ), also then you can do some dancing, or the sport that when you are listening music, your body move, try move all your part of your body, dance!!! dance!! ;) ... mmm also you can combine (or merge) dance with martial arts ;) (capoeira is a style I think, but you can make your own). The thing is move your body.

mmm only another suggestion, try watch what habits make your body become like is now, and try to change them. You where a lot sedentary, or eat much things that make you fat, etc.

Have a nice day or night.
Posted on 2004-04-29 12:52:09 by rea
French boxing sounds good, i did that when i was 15 years. Like you said i am going first do running/swimming or something similar to get a good condition, and then maybe move on to martial arts.

greetz
Posted on 2004-04-29 15:48:10 by Jurgen
I lift pints of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. :)

Seriously, I used to bike over 100 miles a day, but now I walk and I'm currently planning a hiking trip. You can be mostly seditary and not gain weight, but it requires a very strict diet and minor exercise.

Could always get a second job doing physical labor - lose weight, gain money!!

Could get a second girlfriend/mistress. ;)
Posted on 2004-04-29 19:37:29 by bitRAKE

Hi,

I was wondering if there are people in here that do martial arts ?
I'm thinking about joining a club for aikido or ju-jitsu, don't know yet wich to choose.
Because i'm getting really fat :( about 100 kg, I need to do sport.
I'm going to combine it with running.

So what sport do you do to keep in shape ?

Tae Kwon Do - it will keep you flexible
- if you have had any knee surgery avoid roundhouse kicks

Bicycling - doesn't tear up joints like jogging or running will do
Posted on 2004-04-29 19:51:09 by skywalker

Seriously, I used to bike over 100 miles a day...
OMG! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Posted on 2004-04-30 05:42:16 by arkane