Hello,

Currently, I have a Linksys DSL/Cable Router (BEFSR41). I've been using it for about four years now. Overall, it works good, but I think the bandwidth throughput is slow and the firmware is buggy. Connecting to FTP is tricky and there are problems with passive mode, etc.

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=561

About six months ago the power supply started making howling noise. So I think its days are just about over. Plus the firmware is buggy. I cannot connect to FTP servers when using certain firmware builds.

I'd like to get a new DSL/Cable Router with at least 4x100mb network switch support. What is the best DSL/Cable router right now?

Here are some models I am considering right now.

Netgear

Model RP614 4-Port Cable/DSL Router with 10/100 Mbps Switch
http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=131&view=

Model FR114P 4 Port Cable/DSL ProSafe Firewall/Print Server
http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=140&view=

Linksys

BEFSX41 Instant Broadband EtherFast?Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN End
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=433

They're all about the same price. Really I want to stay away from Linksys, but 3COM backs them. I have not had a Netgear router. It is any good?

What is the best DSL/Cable router right now in terms of speed (bandwidth throughput) and security?

Thanks,

Kuphryn
Posted on 2004-05-18 15:06:52 by kuphryn
For what it's worth, I had a 8port netgear 100mbit switch which worked really well - seemed to be nice quality. There were a bunch of netgear switches at my old school, and afaik no problems with them. Dunno about their routers though - except that efficient networks speedstream 2601 *sucks*, and that cisco 655 (I think?) is a bit weird, but works.
Posted on 2004-05-18 15:18:47 by f0dder

efficient networks speedstream 2601 *sucks*

A friend of mine recenly bought one of those and has had no problems so far.
Why do you say it sucks?
Posted on 2004-05-18 16:25:45 by GogetaSSJ4
My router/firewall/server is a P150 with FreeBSD ;)
Highly configurable, costs nothing, and plenty fast ;)
If you have a spare 486 or higher somewhere, you could look into software routing perhaps, using FreeBSD, linux, or something to that effect.
My setup is rather simple:

ADSL modem -> P150 -> 100 mbit 8 port hub -> bunch of Windows PCs.

The P150 acts as a mail/web/ftp/cvs/whatever server, it also has some samba shares that the Windows computers can access, and it could even be a printer server via samba, if I connected a printer to it.
It also filters all garbage from the internet, since it does NAT and has a firewall, and it's not Windows. So all attacks aimed at Windows are futile.
All that for $0. Ghetto networking at its best.

Anyway, just an idea of an alternative approach. I prefer software NAT because it is much more flexible and powerful. I have no problems routing MSN/ICQ/IRC/FTP transfers from any of the Windows machines over the internet, and I could easily update it for any new protocols (I could even modify the source myself if I wanted).
Posted on 2004-05-18 16:49:00 by Scali
Okay. Thanks.

Kuphryn
Posted on 2004-05-18 16:51:09 by kuphryn

A friend of mine recenly bought one of those and has had no problems so far.
Why do you say it sucks?

It was *very* unstable with multiple computers on the LAN, most of the time only one would be able to reach the internet. I would get disconnected from IRC randomly. And, iirc, there would also sometimes be "Hiccups" in the data stream. Sometimes I had to disconnect it for some 10+ seconds before I could connect to the net again.

One of my friends has a 2601 too, and have much the same symptoms as me.

Some of the stuff *might* be fixable with a firmware ugprade, but the piece of shit crashed on me when updating it, leaving it in an unusable state.

Now I use a linux box for routing/firewall (et cetera), works like a charm. Very flexible etc, and does a lot more than just routing/firewall too. Only gripe I have with using a regular x86 for firewalling, is that it consumes a *lot* more power than a small dedicated router.
Posted on 2004-05-18 17:31:22 by f0dder

It was *very* unstable with multiple computers on the LAN, most of the time only one would be able to reach the internet. I would get disconnected from IRC randomly. And, iirc, there would also sometimes be "Hiccups" in the data stream. Sometimes I had to disconnect it for some 10+ seconds before I could connect to the net again.

One of my friends has a 2601 too, and have much the same symptoms as me.

Some of the stuff *might* be fixable with a firmware ugprade, but the piece of shit crashed on me when updating it, leaving it in an unusable state.

Now I use a linux box for routing/firewall (et cetera), works like a charm. Very flexible etc, and does a lot more than just routing/firewall too. Only gripe I have with using a regular x86 for firewalling, is that it consumes a *lot* more power than a small dedicated router.

My friend has a 2604, no 2601. Do you know if it has the same problems?
Posted on 2004-05-18 21:08:04 by GogetaSSJ4
Nope, haven't cared about hardware routers since I set up my linux routing box :). I wish the 2601 had worked, though - it was very small and cute-looking :)
Posted on 2004-05-19 08:32:24 by f0dder
Funny I'm using the BEFSR41 and haven't noticed any problems u have. The only problem I have noticed is that it gets quite hot and doesnt work with Age of Empires II directly (have to use forwarding)
Posted on 2004-05-19 15:50:18 by x86asm
At the moment I've got an old P2 with Linux running as my Firewall / Gateway, but I'll be replacing it ASAP with one of these:
http://www.mini-itx.com/news/nanode/

No more noisy fans, and tiny weeny :grin:

Also I'll be setting SAMBA on it for nice & easy sharing of stuff between machines (what else can you do with the 30Gb of free space?).

Mirno
Posted on 2004-05-19 17:07:50 by Mirno