Hello,

Where do you keep your reference books (software development in particular)?

There are reference books from programming to network administration. I have many reference programming books. I program at work and at home and these reference books are imperative. Buying two copies of the same book is, well, conceivably a waste of money.

Do you care with you a huge box of books everywhere you go? How about business trip?

Thanks,

Kuphryn
Posted on 2004-05-19 15:21:26 by kuphryn
I don't have many books on programming, and I never carry any with me.
I have MSDN on my laptop though, that works fine most of the time ;)
Other than that I usually use google to find info quickly.
Posted on 2004-05-19 15:44:28 by Scali

I don't have many books on programming, and I never carry any with me.
I have MSDN on my laptop though, that works fine most of the time ;)
Other than that I usually use google to find info quickly.

Ditto for me, I do have hard copies of the Intel and AMD instruction set references and the MASM manual though. I don't program for a living so my business laptop does not even have a compiler on it or any reference to programming at all, only business software. So I geuss I was not the perfect person to respond to this question, oh well :)
Posted on 2004-05-19 16:58:14 by donkey
I favour the MSDN+google approach, but at the same time you should get most of your books at work - I think it's better your boss to see you reading reference books than browsing the net, at home you'll (hopefully) have time to do other stuff than programming. At home you can do the online search. For trips - laptop with MSDN and books (pdf/chm) should do the trick. Or if you can't afford (to carry/buy) a laptop, you might go with a Tungsten/Clie.
Posted on 2004-05-20 00:43:52 by Ultrano
I think if they are much, you can scan the specific part of more use (I think you dont break none???), scanning the pages of more use :), or get free online book about the topic (pdf, html, chm).

Also you can select what books are of use for the specific work (some times maybe the selection will be wrong) and carry them.

Have a nice day or night.
Posted on 2004-05-20 10:13:01 by rea
I think you just want the Hard copies for reading. So home is the best place.

but for just a small thing stops you then Google+MSDN, Which do with me.

Amr
Posted on 2004-05-30 00:13:21 by amr
Sometimes I'd bring with me one or two books I think I'd need to look something up. That's it.

Kuphryn
Posted on 2004-05-30 01:23:38 by kuphryn
I use Research Browser as I have a lot of papers in PDF format. and I try to add to all papers BibTex info :grin: for easy searching.
Posted on 2004-06-02 07:46:03 by TBD