I have an application that uses VBA (visual basic for application). It's giog to be delivered to the end user in the next few weeks, I intend to protect the code. I've test the default protection scheme which uses password, but its too easy to overcome it, I've tried using softice. This application is mission critical, it's not by my intention to build it using VBA, it's the client that force to use it, so what else I can say ? Any suggestion ?
Posted on 2004-05-22 01:50:06 by Pinczakko
if you code it for a client, then the source is not yours anyway

why protect it?

write it in asm or c/c++ let the vba just write out the bytes in memory and execute it ;)
Posted on 2004-05-22 06:32:23 by Hiroshimator
Pinczakko, nothing short of rewritting in another language will help protect it. VBA code is basically open. I'm surprised they wouldn't let you use a plugin?
Posted on 2004-05-22 07:48:53 by bitRAKE

if you code it for a client, then the source is not yours anyway

why protect it?

write it in asm or c/c++ let the vba just write out the bytes in memory and execute it ;)

yup it will run for a client. whoaa :o , this is nightmare. The purpose is not to protect the code for me either, it's to protect the application from unwanted people that is peeking at the source code, this application uses MSMQ (Microsoft Message Queuing) to input data remotely to the server. This is a real threat, since this unwanted people will have access to the innard working of the system. I'm not the guy who code the server application, I've give them some advice regarding the security issue but they won't listen to me, may be coz they see I'm too young :sweat: . May be a sort of "plugin" will do this :confused: . This software project is really sucks, but I have to do something, the people who develop this application have left the project and I'm there to get dirty cleaning up and revising his work :sweat: . Thx guys :alright: .
Posted on 2004-05-22 23:02:19 by Pinczakko