Does anyone know how to make a boot CD?

Most modern BIOS accept boot from CD, as such, Im wondering what you would need to do to build a boot cd. It would be far more handier than A disks to get to a command prompt, as i can store alot of tools on the CD as well.

The reason I asking, is because im about to finally give up on the old Win98SE. Time to see how XP is like I think... (Might make it dual boot tho.. undecided as of yet). But i am going to go to the new FAT system with XP.

Regards,
:NaN:
Posted on 2004-05-24 16:32:42 by NaN
You just need a boot sector image. There are several on the web, or pick the one off your current drive.
Posted on 2004-05-24 17:35:10 by bitRAKE
I just tried with Nero but didnt work correctly. I used a Win98SE boot disk in the A:, and it read from it, but didnt work. I still bet non-boot disk error.

Oh well. This nicity is not worth waiting for.

Time to go Format C:\ (Been burning CDRW's all day!)

Regards,
Posted on 2004-05-24 17:45:26 by NaN
Posted on 2004-05-24 18:34:00 by bitRAKE
I had a program that made a bootable version of Windows 2000 install but, you have to supply it the files.I forgot where I got it from, just to let u know a tool does exist.
Posted on 2004-05-24 19:19:09 by x86asm
Posted on 2004-05-24 19:35:28 by f0dder
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into it after im finished with the install of XP.
Posted on 2004-05-24 21:01:03 by NaN
The Nero bootdisk option should work, get the appropriate image at bootdisk.com and try it instead.
Posted on 2004-05-24 21:55:30 by SpooK
I found my mistake with Nero (Used the wrong boot disk :rolleyes: ).

But i have another question, there is 6 XP boot disks. How do you get 6 images onto one boot drive CD?

I checked out your link, but it does the same with the XP boot disks. It only extracts its compressed images to 6 floppy disks. Anyone else been here?? (After using the XP boot disks, it would be a welcome change to have it all on a CD ( Last time i had to do so much disk swapping i was running a C=64 with 5-1/4" disks!)

I would really expect that todays OS technologies would be less dependant on boot disks, but as it seems its getting more and more dependant.

Regards,
Posted on 2004-05-25 01:32:38 by NaN
NaN, 2k and XP can install perfectly off the original CD, without any boot disks. So unless you have a (badly) copied CD, install should be no problem. And I don't think those 6 bootdisks are much worth if you're not going to do an install.

If you want to slipstream a servicepack into your 2k/XP installation files, and still have the CD bootable, have a look here: http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp1_cd.htm .

As for generic "boot cd", not just usable for installing the system, forget the rest and have a look at BartPE in the link I posted. It's a stripped-down XP system, so you have full native NTFS support, ability to run (a lot) of win32 apps, et cetera.
Posted on 2004-05-25 10:12:50 by f0dder

I found my mistake with Nero (Used the wrong boot disk :rolleyes: ).

But i have another question, there is 6 XP boot disks. How do you get 6 images onto one boot drive CD?

Try using Nero 6.0 I've use this version of Nero to make FreeBSD boot cd out of its 2.88 MB boot image, AFAIK Nero 6.0 is capable of image for boot image that's bigger than this. If it's possible to make a single image out of those 6 boot disks then you can burn it using this nero 6.0 to the CD to be used as a boot cd.:alright:
Posted on 2004-05-25 13:35:39 by Pinczakko