If it looks elitistic, then that's good! Man's natural response to this situation is to overcome it, to show that one is in control. It provides several starting points for the learner to look up further information.
The students of teachers at my school who challenge their students from day one are in fact often much more successful than those who don't.

About the commenting issue - If someone who has never seen the code before understands it well, I doubt I'll need comments for myself :P I do sometimes use them though, when what I'm doing is overly complicated and it's difficult to see what we have on the stack at all times. But most of the time, it is self explanatory, at least through the use of good label names.

I think that commenting every possible action that could lead to bugs later on if not being careful would take more time than it actually takes to find those bugs in the event that they should occur. I have to ask you about your preference of clarity over correctness, though... Isn't a faulty program that anyone can understand worth less than a program that works but is a little harder to grasp?

To Scali:

Two answers to the original question had been given and he had understood how to apply them. Therefore, I hardly see how any additional discussion could cause anyone to give up. When you're learning, you can decide for yourself at which pace and how you want to study - you can concentrate on doing a specific task one step at a time, or you might prefer to look into any topics that you come by and learn from them.

On a side note, using HLL constructs such as the ".if ( CARRY? )" right from the beginning might not help a poor beginning assembly language programming student much, and could possibly cause misunderstanding and confusion since it has little to do with assembly language. But it was okay, since he would probably be able to look it up eventually and get things straight.

The project I am working on is a game project, as I said. In other words, we are to produce a computer game. We only just started it, and it is therefore still in its early design stages. But my previous game project has been going well, and people who have seen sneak peeks of it say that they have never seen anything comparable to that quality for the game system it is written for.
Posted on 2004-06-06 18:11:39 by Sephiroth3
Maybe, because that can show what he can do in the future. Then let it go, also is not like that, because physic exercise is grow in a linear way, when mental work can be done in diferent ways, some people understand first basic concepts and then go to the whole and viceversa.

Also a thing that I will change about that will be:

You have to push yourself to your limits to progress quickly. Watch your advances, not other people advances and dont become lazy ;) at this way

Also I dont like comments, specially when reading others people code, because I find some times more explanation that code, also I prefer have a separate file for explain or give documentation, I like to hide comments in source and see the code.

Maybe the correct to be if not commented is explain the "tecnique" used apart in a general way, if not explained, maybe some words to search.

Also follow the code and put attention is important, in that way you can see for what is used ecx ;) and the only left problem will be the add, that will be the "crack" here.

Yes I also vote for try understand for yourself, if you still without understand after a little period, then question without esitation (that is the correct word?).

Have a nice day or night.
Posted on 2004-06-06 18:16:40 by rea
Man's natural response to this situation is to overcome it

Also there are people that break that, in fact... is not because they can not overcome it, but because they are not really interested in that.

eg. if a guy say that he whant to learn a new topic in maths that is not thaught at his school, now, when reading the first pages he see that is a lot more abstract that what he has readed learned in the past, I think if this guy stop here and let the study of the diferent topic was because that was a fashion and at the first sign of dificulty he/she abandon the boat, also see that i am saying stop completely, that let that this guy understand that he/she need more background for handle this topic and do a research for find what math he/she need, learn them, and then come oter time to see if this time is posible to learn.

Have a nice day or night.
Posted on 2004-06-06 18:29:30 by rea
If someone who has never seen the code before understands it well

Let's ask how long these people stared at the code before figuring out what it did, why and how?
I'm sure they spent a few minutes on it, counting out the offset, figuring out what ASCII chars corresponded to your cryptic hex string, etc.

And hjb is very much right. Not everyone is interested in overcoming the same problems you're interested in. Actually, the fact that he came here to ask the question in the first place is a clear sign that he is either unable or not interested in solving the problem himself. He wants someone to help him.
Posted on 2004-06-06 18:43:01 by Scali
If he wasn't very interested to begin with, then it doesn't make much of a difference, does it? :P At some point he would eventually have been bored of it anyway. But remember that when we were young, we were stumbling in our initial attempts at programming, asking questions with obvious answers from time to time... this doesn't mean that we had no interest in it, but we were just not as experienced. Through trying and exploring, we eventually progressed and we (hopefully) became able to understand what we did not understand at first.
What hgb stated above in bold is very highly true. One should not be discouraged by "advanced" topics when one has just begun learning.

I replied to your post in my above post by the way (I had started writing it prior to the last post of yours being posted by you)
Posted on 2004-06-06 19:18:02 by Sephiroth3
If he wasn't very interested to begin with

I think it's up to us to get him interested. Some elitist code snippets that he will not understand is not the way.

One should not be discouraged by "advanced" topics when one has just begun learning.

So you agree, don't discourage him.
Posted on 2004-06-07 02:14:30 by Scali