Hello! people

I read the big winsock faq and am acquainted with WinSock2 workings.

I was planning to create my own SMTP Mail server. I have no information on SMTP service

except the only thing that it works on port 25 (i think)

So proper guidance is needed :grin:

Thankyou For Reading :alright:
Posted on 2004-06-07 04:49:54 by telophase
you might want to read the RFCs

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc821.txt
and
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2821.txt

i dont understand why people write these, it's like useless, you would need to spend days trying to get the whole picture.
maybe find some other smtp implmentation
Posted on 2004-06-07 13:35:56 by Drocon
The purpose I see in this is to learn more about networking and how a particular protocol works. This girl and I back in high school (2000), I had mentioned that some people make their own operating systems. She was like "What's the point? How will you get applications and large numbers of people to use it?" What I never could explain to her is that most people don't make their hobby OS's as the next big alternative to windows, but to learn more about the machine.

you might want to read the RFCs

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc821.txt
and
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2821.txt

i dont understand why people write these, it's like useless, you would need to spend days trying to get the whole picture.
maybe find some other smtp implmentation
Posted on 2004-08-31 18:50:42 by Al_Leitch
my point was, RFCs are cryptic and hard to understand. i can figure out a protocol faster with a packet sniffer and trial-and-error than decyphering RFC regulations.
Posted on 2004-09-05 11:32:20 by Drocon
where can i get this sniffer?

i also have problems with this protocols
Posted on 2004-09-05 12:22:52 by diablo2oo2
use ethereal: http://www.ethereal.com/
Posted on 2004-09-05 16:00:02 by Drocon
I could relate to this when I found an "IRC by telnet" tutorial. Once I learned how to do that, it seemed pretty straightforward from there. I think the RFC's are best used once you understand the big picture and need specific technical data. I've found myself consulting the IRC RFC when it came to finding the maximum length of IRC msgs, whether they need both CR and LF or just one (and it turns out, you can end an IRC msg with one of those).

my point was, RFCs are cryptic and hard to understand. i can figure out a protocol faster with a packet sniffer and trial-and-error than decyphering RFC regulations.
Posted on 2004-09-12 14:44:15 by Al_Leitch
where can i find this "IRC by telnet" tutorial? in google i only found a "IRC by telnet" FAQ.
Posted on 2004-09-13 09:35:57 by diablo2oo2