can anybody sum up for me eXACly what a pentium M is (i know its for mobile) and what makes it different than a p6 core p3 , or a p4?
does it have the SSE2 that a p4 has?

(a new laptop i am getting has one - its newer, and its to replace my current p4 laptop, but i don't know whether to be happy about it or not.. )
Posted on 2004-06-08 17:06:54 by klumsy
It's part P3, part P4.
It has SSE2 (not SSE3), and the fast FSB and large cache that we know of the P4. But it also has the shorter pipeline and lacks the tracecache, like the P3.
Pentium-M is basically a very efficient CPU, both in terms of power usage and in terms of IPC. It is faster than any other x86 at the same clockspeed, including Athlons and P3s. On the downside, the clockspeed doesn't go that high, so in absolute terms of performance, it still cannot beat the high-end Athlons and P4s. But it performs quite well, and eg a 1.6 GHz Pentium-M would be a good substitute for a 2.4 GHz P4, or so.
I would be happy with one :)
Posted on 2004-06-08 17:29:06 by Scali
thanks.. so does other processors other than p4 and pM have sse2? does p4 have sse3?
Posted on 2004-06-08 17:41:53 by klumsy
The lack of SSE3 is being addressed apparently. The rumour mill has it that the desktop-ified Dothan chip will support SSE3. The clock speed of the Dothan chips already goes beyond the 1.6GHz too (1.8 GHz - wooo big leap forward :tongue: ). Their clocks should ramp up with a bit more voltage, so desktop versions with huge chunks of copper on top of them should trundle along nicely! The Dothan also has a bigish cache too.

The Pentium M was according to Intel designed from the ground up to be low power, and thus generate low amounts of heat. It was designed by a team in Israel. By all acounts it isn't really a "brand new chip", the basis of the architecture is the P6 core (the same core that ran the Pentium PRO, Pentium II, and Pentium III chips). Although it is based on the P6 core, several bits of Pentium 4 technology are suposedly plugged in (although specific details are sketchy as to what exactly, although it is likely to be caches & bus technology as they are pretty awesome in the Pentium 4).

Mirno
Posted on 2004-06-08 18:04:31 by Mirno
Only the latest P4s (Prescott) have SSE3. The AMD Athlon64 and Opteron also have SSE2.
Posted on 2004-06-09 02:59:54 by Scali
I have a Dell 500m and I couldn't be happier!

It's fully Pentium 4 compatible. And even though it's only clocked at 1.4 GHz, it beats a Pentium 4 at 2.4 GHz at some calculation intensive work (like my software renderer). A Pentium 4 benefits from high memory bandwidth, and it runs 'unoptimized' software faster. But the biggest benefit of a Pentium M to me is that it's completely cool. Most of the time, the fan is idle, and when the processor does get warm, the fan can turn so slowly that it's completely inaudible. I have to look at it to see it turn! Low power consumption automatically translates in long battery life and/or low weight.
Posted on 2004-06-09 10:44:54 by C0D1F1ED