I am new to HLA and RADASM and feeling very stupid about now. I can?t get it all to work right, and since everybody else seems to be doing better than I am, that makes me feel like the proverbial class idiot. Does Randy Hyde still teach assembly language at Riverside?

To make a long story short, I bought the book, downloaded and read all the free stuff on HLA, and then downloaded the HLA v1.65 upgrade and then re-installed the HLASETUP after removing the old version. However, both link and nmake generated fatal errors for Dialog App. Then I tried HW, the console version, and got the same fatal errors.

I re-read the RadAsm/HLA integrated development environment, made changes that Randy suggested, and tried and failed again. Either the instructions are obsolete, or I?m doing something terribly wrong.

I use to be a fairly good masm programmer back in the 16-bit segmented DOS days. I migrated to C, then C++, and finally to ADA before I threw in the towel and decided to return to assembly language. I think time I spent developing ADA or C++ programs far exceeded time I spent developing masm programs. However, I need help getting back up on the proverbial horse.

Randy, please help!
Posted on 2004-06-12 18:36:35 by tekman
Did you setup the paths in HLA.ini and the RadAsm paths dialog?
Posted on 2004-06-13 21:35:45 by Kain
Did you also install MASM32 needed first? HLA needs an assembler installed first.

Go here for instructions: http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AsmTools/HLA/HLADoc/HTMLDoc/Install.html
Posted on 2004-06-14 22:59:58 by User
Thanks to everyone who had input. However, I started the process all over again and this time everything worked as it was supposed too. I must have corrupted something.

Does anyone know if Randy still teaches at Riverside? I think a refresher course may be in order for me.
Posted on 2004-06-15 03:28:20 by tekman

Thanks to everyone who had input. However, I started the process all over again and this time everything worked as it was supposed too. I must have corrupted something.

Does anyone know if Randy still teaches at Riverside? I think a refresher course may be in order for me.

I resigned from UCR in the spring quarter, 2000, in order to take a better job than the one I had in industry at the time (though I was technically a full-time instructor at UCR, I also worked full-time outside; however, the outside job that I had paid me a bit less because of the flexibility it offered in terms of hours).

Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2004-06-16 12:06:18 by rhyde