Hi,
I just installed some new parts of the microsoft platform sdk, now I realized, that it has replaced its "sdk update control", lurking in the "sdkinst.dll", with a new version. Problem: the new version does not care about Win98SE, it just needs Win2K or higher (includes now some advanced advapi.dll imports).

Does anyone have an older version of this control / dll for me? I cannot use my local sdk docu now, which is quite annoying...

the version not working for Win98SE: sdkinst.dll 5.2.3790.0
Posted on 2004-06-16 10:01:52 by beaster
Try looking here, perhaps - haven't tested or anything, but it came up with google: http://www.piputilities.com/Zips/DLLs/ME/ .

PS: time to upgrade your OS, developers shouldn't be stuck with 9x
Posted on 2004-06-17 05:31:18 by f0dder
thanks a lot! I found a working version.
PS: time to upgrade your OS, developers shouldn't be stuck with 9x
yeah, thats right, but we need to ensure, that our software runs well on Win98. So the easiest way is to use it for development, cause nobody likes to (or is too lazy :) ) to do some extra testing on a Win 98 PC.

Someone even recommended to run Win98 in a window under VMWare on a XP box...
Posted on 2004-06-18 05:53:34 by beaster
I run Win2K (IMO the best of the best), but I have NT4, Win95 and Win98SE available as virtual PC's. The best money I ever spent was buying VirtualPC, though it belongs to Microsoft now, the older Connectix versions are still much more stable than the upgrade that MS offers. For some reason the MS version crashes constantly and I may end up having to change to VMWare when I next need to upgrade.
Posted on 2004-06-18 09:04:09 by donkey
I use XP for developing. Then I have 98 and 2k installed in other two REAL pc. I think this is the best solution
Posted on 2004-06-18 14:35:10 by greenant
Last time I checked, VMWare was a good deal faster than VPC... they try to run as much code as possible directly without emulating. This does, however, mean that vmware fails on a few hobby OSes, which VPC can handle :)

Separate boxes for development is nice, but not everybody can afford that. It's more handy with virtual PCs anyway, as you don't have to copy stuff around, move to the other computers, etc.

Virtual PCs can't replace real testing, as some things are handled slightly different in the virtual environment - shouldn't really be of concern when you're doing ring3 coding, but still.
Posted on 2004-06-21 04:01:35 by f0dder
Separate PC are very useful also to test programs that use network.
I don't have very fast PC. I bought some months ago a Compaq P3 500 for 100 EUR. I think it's a price that everyone can afford
Posted on 2004-06-21 04:06:21 by greenant