I could have project going and need details on UDMA hardware and NT usage. Not coming up with much. Used to go to chip manufacturers and get most but not sure who is most popular anymore? Is NEC still one of top controllers or who? Thanks for input.
Posted on 2004-06-16 16:50:32 by mrgone
I think you should try the investigate the Intel 82801 UATA Controller:
Intel? 82801DB I/O Controller Hub 4 (ICH4) Datasheet

Or are you interested in the controllers of HDD side? I mean controllers embedded in the HDD?
Posted on 2004-06-16 17:06:25 by bszente
Yeah I also want to know how to initialize drive controller such as head settle time, type of modulation, type of CRC if used anymore I think it's call ERC now right? Yes I have alot of research to do. Could be work with a partner too. Waiting on reply for project

P.S. Just looked at your recomended sight and looks like network controller. I'm interested in HDD controller and NT format like partician table,directory,cluster allocation etc.
Posted on 2004-06-16 17:48:12 by mrgone

P.S. Just looked at your recomended sight and looks like network controller. I'm interested in HDD controller and NT format like partician table,directory,cluster allocation etc.

It is the IO Controller Hub, which has incorporated the UATA Controller and has included also the Network Interface. You should look at it more detailed, i'm sure you will find the HDD IDE controller on page 161 and 383.

Other stuffs is rather difficult to find. Maybe you shuld look at the Windows DDK for the hard disk drivers.

ERC (Error Corrected Code) is used at expensive RAMs and several mainboards, and maybe (optional) at the buses of the computer. On the hard disk the CRC code is used (Cyclic Redundancy Check).

Once I wrote a boot manager program: I rewrote the masterboot program to give the possibility of booting from any partition. But I had problems on large harddisks (above 20GB), because the accessing of the sectors becomes difficult with the 13h interrupt.
Posted on 2004-06-17 01:36:21 by bszente
Hi mrgone,

Maybe you should try the following links, I'm not sure if they are what you are looking for, but I hope you can find some useful information.
TheRef by F. Robert Falbo, it seems, that guy is experienced in this field;
The Enhanced IDE/Fast-ATA FAQ
Posted on 2004-07-15 04:37:48 by bszente
I'm looking at them now. Someone also suggested the DDk so I just got suite #3. I just hate Microsoft's driver structures but what are you gonna do? Four-F sure cut through that crap....lol.
Posted on 2004-07-16 14:35:01 by mrgone