Ok here is the back story. Am a huge fan of the origional UT. I dont play alot of games, or keep up to the biggest and best varriant out there. I simply like my UT. So, around a year ago for some reason, UT stopped working on my Win98SE. It kept giving me a GFP on boot up. I fought with it for a couple of days and eventually gave in defeat not to play UT again on that system until i reinstalled Win98SE.

So, about a year later, i install XP and it works again! Hurray!. I got a fix and loved it. Then about a week later, as i got around to installing my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse drivers, the program stopped working and GPF'd just like it did before! (Im greatly simplifying my efforts to determine the conflict was due to the keyboard drivers and DirextX).

In my efforts to determin the fault was here, I updated my GForce2 drivers from their web site. After i found out it wasnt that and actually the keyboard drivers, i uninstalled the Logitech keyboard drivers and my UT worked again!!

Woo hoo! Problem solved... (Took a year to figure this nasty conflict out!)

But now im in another problem....

The updated GForce2 drivers are *WORSE* than the origional GForce2 drivers that are bundled with XP!! Amazingly crappy display in directX! (And oddly seems to conflict with the sound output!)

So now I have to restore the previous gforce drivers that came with XP's software.... and i cant seem to do it. I keep unistalling the GForce2 drivers, accept the reboot, and the damn OS keeps reinstalling ths same f'n set!. I cant seem to point it to get the drivers from the XP cd. Its *too smart* for this....

Im really getting frustrated with this *feature* in XP. If anyone can walk me though how i should approach installing the Gfouce2 drivers from the XP cd without detecting the crap left behind from the unistal of the newer set it would be appreciated. Alot.

Thanks!
Regards,
:NaN:

:stupid: :stupid:
Posted on 2004-06-20 13:14:57 by NaN
Hi Nan,

I had no end of problems with the Logitech cordless mouse drivers, to the point where I actually emailed their tech support though the guy there had no idea what was going on, too bad I didn't bother to archive his lame email. They appear to install system wide hooks and screw up software that is looking for that sort of thing in case of nefarious plots, this has the effect of slowing down my machine and some software GPF'ed. I ended up just uninstalling the drivers completely and all logitech software that came with them and to my surprise the mouse worked anyway. I have never had a problem since I got rid of the Logitech software and drivers. Win2KSP4.
Posted on 2004-06-20 13:30:33 by donkey
You should only use the original NVIDIA ForceWare drivers that you can get from www.nvidia.com directly. Download the latest WHQL drivers, and everything should be fine. It is for me, anyway.
I always uninstall the previous drivers first (via Control Panel), but with the original XP ones, you don't have that option, I guess. But since these are newer, they should replace the XP drivers anyway.
Posted on 2004-06-20 13:52:59 by Scali
The WHQL drivers from their web site is exactly what i installed. And they SUCK!

Unfortunately i can't return from this crappy set. I even tried the 'restore previous set' option in the driver menu. It said it was reverting back to the Microsoft version of the NVidia drivers, but its still the same crappy output. If this was win98 i would have this done light years ago, but for some reason, the "Have Drivers on disk" option refuses to acknowledge that the XP disk *might* have some drivers on it :rolleyes: .

I even tried the all drivers selection, and it listed everything it knew of, but somehow the NVidia drivers that the OS installed with XP didnt appear in the menu. I know it was a NVidia GForce2 v4.8 or something that go installed. The web site gave me an updated v5.something. Now the XP os refuses to even acknowledge it once used or had an earlier version! Nothing i can do will make XP believe there *IS* something else to choose from....

Looks like my entire game is being filtered through a comic book filter.. you know, how color is done in new print with patterned dotting... YUCK!

Posted on 2004-06-20 14:41:57 by NaN
This works for me on win2k:
see the c:\winnt\inf\oem0.inf , oem1.inf ....
I suppose these are the "additional drivers" that NT views everytime it seeks for drivers. Removing specific files of these .inf , can solve your problem (or just renaming them for backup purposes). It costed me a lot of "STOP" messages to find these files, while trying to install my DualShock.
For my GeForce2 I use Nvidia_grafic_driver_52.16_win2kxp_english_whql.exe
it never failed me (strange it has a spelling error in it).
Posted on 2004-06-20 15:09:28 by Ultrano
The WHQL drivers from their web site is exactly what i installed. And they SUCK!

You must be kidding. I've used them for years, and I develop Direct3D 8/9 code on them daily. I rarely have problems.
You must have done something wrong somewhere. The drivers work fine.
Posted on 2004-06-20 15:45:35 by Scali

You must be kidding. I've used them for years, and I develop Direct3D 8/9 code on them daily. I rarely have problems.
You must have done something wrong somewhere. The drivers work fine.

I will reitterate:

(0) Unreal works with high res smooth images.
(1) I installed Logitech keyboard drivers c/w mouse drivers
(2) Unreal stopped working
(3) Upgraded video drivers to the recommended set from the NVidia site specific to my make and model->: GForce2 MX 400.-> "56.72_winxp2k_english_whql.exe"
(4) Discover its not this and realize it must be the Logitech drivers.
(5) Uninstall Logitech drivers
(6) Unreal works again, but picture sucks royal ar$e. Images are gritty and looks like Hexen more than Unreal Tournament.
(7) Can not uninstall video drivers.. XP keeps reinstalling them.
(8) Ask for help...

Where in there am I doing something wrong here? How did i missuse the provided driver set? The install was automatic, and ran from an exe... I have very little to do with any of this crap. All i want is my old driver set back which was installed off the XP cd.. the image quality was excellent and the game play was just as fast.

:stupid:
Posted on 2004-06-20 20:27:46 by NaN
NaN, i never install my drivers from an .exe if i can help it. I extract the files from the .exe into a folder then i manually install the drivers. You have much more control as to what is being installed on your system. Anyways try to identify the driver files on your computer and maually delete the suspected problem files.

use the following program to do a backup of the hardware driver you want to get rid of:

http://www.drivermagician.com/

now check the folder where you did the backup to and it will show you all the driver files installed on your system for that particular hardware. Now search for all those files on your harddrive (gonna be the same exact files in your backup directory) and maually delete each of them. Then completly uninstall the hardware. then reboot and install the drivers you want.
Posted on 2004-06-20 21:06:04 by smurf
All i want is my old driver set back which was installed off the XP cd.. the image quality was excellent and the game play was just as fast.

Trust me, you don't want that. There are millions of people playing Unreal with the latest drivers. They have a whole lot less bugs and a whole lot more features.
There must be something wrong with your installation somewhere. Unreal will normally work fine with the NVIDIA drivers.
Posted on 2004-06-21 01:55:32 by Scali

Looks like my entire game is being filtered through a comic book filter.. you know, how color is done in new print with patterned dotting... YUCK!

This sounds like dithering to me? If you run the game in 16bpp, try flipping it up to 32bpp... should be able to do it ingame, otherwise try flipping desktop resolution up to 32bpp (though I have a GF2 in the old athlon700 box, running XP, and it works just fine).

Btw, STAY AWAY from logitech drivers :P - they suck. Most features work without their stinking drivers anyway, on recent OSes.
Posted on 2004-06-21 07:18:41 by f0dder

Ok here is the back story. Am a huge fan of the origional UT. I dont play alot of games, or keep up to the biggest and best varriant out there. I simply like my UT. So, around a year ago for some reason, UT stopped working on my Win98SE. It kept giving me a GFP on boot up. I fought with it for a couple of days and eventually gave in defeat not to play UT again on that system until i reinstalled Win98SE.

So, about a year later, i install XP and it works again! Hurray!. I got a fix and loved it. Then about a week later, as i got around to installing my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse drivers, the program stopped working and GPF'd just like it did before! (Im greatly simplifying my efforts to determine the conflict was due to the keyboard drivers and DirextX).

In my efforts to determin the fault was here, I updated my GForce2 drivers from their web site. After i found out it wasnt that and actually the keyboard drivers, i uninstalled the Logitech keyboard drivers and my UT worked again!!

Woo hoo! Problem solved... (Took a year to figure this nasty conflict out!)

But now im in another problem....

The updated GForce2 drivers are *WORSE* than the origional GForce2 drivers that are bundled with XP!! Amazingly crappy display in directX! (And oddly seems to conflict with the sound output!)

So now I have to restore the previous gforce drivers that came with XP's software.... and i cant seem to do it. I keep unistalling the GForce2 drivers, accept the reboot, and the damn OS keeps reinstalling ths same f'n set!. I cant seem to point it to get the drivers from the XP cd. Its *too smart* for this....

Im really getting frustrated with this *feature* in XP. If anyone can walk me though how i should approach installing the Gfouce2 drivers from the XP cd without detecting the crap left behind from the unistal of the newer set it would be appreciated. Alot.

Thanks!
Regards,

:stupid: :stupid:

Your not alone for liking UT man, I played UT2003 and UT2004 and they are just crap, they are not as fun as the original, the original is just so much more fun than both combined. nVidia's drivers seem to be going downhill, especially with the cards that didnt just come out. I found that the 22.x series were best on my GeForce2MX when I had it in terms of stability and speed. If you can find those use those.
Posted on 2004-06-21 09:30:56 by x86asm
The original UT is really outstanding game! I wasn't playing ANY computer games for about 2 years untill the day I tried UT for some reason. I never really stopped playing it since except for some few months long intervals when I just don't have time for that.

UT 2003 I hated but now I came to like UT 2004. If you give it a shot and play it for some time you are bound to like it.
Posted on 2004-06-21 17:36:07 by Milos
I loved the original UT but I kind of stick to half-life based mods like Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat now. Not the best graphics, but the gameplay is good... exactly what I miss about the days of nintendo :(
Posted on 2004-06-22 00:56:51 by SpooK
I'm looking forward to HL2 - it will require somewhat of a monster of a computer, but the graphics and physics are excellent, and it looks like gameplay will be quite nice, too.

Doom3 also looks interesting, although it's engine is simple than HL2, and it seems that ID will concentrate more on "mood" than gameplay :)
Posted on 2004-06-22 02:44:03 by f0dder
Doom3 has been "coming out" for the last two years :tongue:

HL2 is taking that route pretty quick here. I probably won't buy it since HL alone sucks on this mobility radeon.
Posted on 2004-06-22 04:51:56 by SpooK